Removing oil from ball

Rikki

you talk, ill bowl!!!
Im sure this has been on here before but i was unable to find anything.

I normally clean my bowling balls with what ever ball cleaner i have in my bag but was recently told to submerge the ball in a bucket of hot water with a teaspoon of detergent for half an hour then wipe off and repeat untill the ball no longer released oil.

Is this the right thing to do? I have googled it and i seems everyone has a different opinion.

I bowl with Storm, Global 900, & Hammer does the brand of ball determine how you get excess oil out?

Does it really make a difference?

I've done the dishwasher, but only on a short cycle and took it out before the drying step.
The ball's still O.K

I have a food dehydrator that operates between 25 deg C - 65 deg C will that work? if so do i wipe off the excess oil with ball cleaner or isocol?

Oh dear, after all this time. I had a debate about this, probably about 10 years ago, on this site with Robbie B, who swore that that which comes out of the ball ( with warming - by warm water or otherwise ) is NOT lane oil.

Whatever it is, balls are very well cleaned with warm water and neat dishwashing detergent rubbed over the surface, and then rinsed and dried. I think you'll find the surface feels and reacts like new.
It also helps if you use a microfibre cloth to wipe the oil off when playing.

Oh dear, after all this time. I had a debate about this, probably about 10 years ago, on this site with Robbie B, who swore that that which comes out of the ball ( with warming - by warm water or otherwise ) is NOT lane oil.

Yeah in my case it is usually my tears clogging up the ball! :(

One day I might actually learn how to bowl! :surrender:

I do use a micro fibre cloth before every shot and wipe it before putting it away. I have used my food dehydrator last night with 2 balls. I had the oven set to 55 deg c. heaps of oil came out. my Hammer took 3 times at 15 mins each time but my Track took 5 times to get it all out. Proof will be tonight when i bowl with them.

Cant blame the ball they seemed to hit the pocket a bit harder and i did carry the ten pin a bit better. I really struggled when the lanes started to transition. Might try the storm with the water and see if its easier, faster or better.

Just don't try that in a cooler climate. Sudden temperature swings lead to differential expansion which cracks concrete, as well as bowling balls. You need to raise the temperature slowly. 55 isn't so far from room temperature in a Brisbane garage! ;)

just sit the ball in full sun area, rotate thru all 6 sides of the ball about every 5-10 minutes depending on temperature and ball colour (black absorbs UVB faster than lighter colours).

much easier than the dishwasher and just wipe off between each rotation of the ball.

make sure you change the sides to prevent warping the ball or cracking it htough, this is very important.

this has worked for me for a few years now and doesnt effect my gear at all.

hope this helps.

Use of low grit pads will open the pores of the ball and assist in clearing oil saturated into the coverstock more quickly and thoroughly than by use of high grit pads...

Back
Top Bottom