Ebonite RAID!

KANAFA!

Coverstock: GBV 12.7
RG: 2.52
Differential .054

Drilling: Pin below and just left of Middle finger, CG in middle of Palm and MB directly below thumb.
Surface Preparation: Box Condition

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:

When I looked at this ball, I saw STRONG written all over it. So I needed a drilling that was going to allow me to use it on conditions with out having to loft it half way down the lane! Also, I was really keen on getting an early ball roll, something that would read the midlane and not skid and jump the back end, just something nice and smooth.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:

Since joining the Ebonite team, I think this has to be my favourite Ebonite Ball/Drilling combination. Its just soooooo smooth down the lane. Its predicability is also one of the things I really like, and you can see why when the ball is sent back up the ball return. With this drilling, I have taken a fair bit of flare potential out of the ball, and what I get is flare lines a lot closer together on the track area. So what this allows me to do is to throw the ball without having to worry about it jumping left all the time. It just rolls. The RAID has no problem getting through the heads of the lane, and with the MB under the thumb I get an early read on the midlane and a smooth backend reaction.

Whilst using this at the South Pacific Classic (heavy oil, not much room to hit) I slowed my shot down, and this ball went really well. A lot of times you'll sometimes see polished balls not carrying too well on heavy oil, but this ball just loved tripping 10 pins.

When I threw this ball for the first time, it reminded me of the V2 Clean. Just a really smooth rolling ball, with a strong but not aggressive backend reaction that just loves eating the pins.

I will post a picture of the drilling shortly.

Matt

Just thought I would give a few words on the Raid. I have recently drilled mine which is quite similar to Matt's except my pin is above the fingers.

As I havn't had the opportunity to bowl with Ebonite for some time I was curious to see how it would go.

I must say that I was shocked at how easy the ball was to get through the front part of the lane and the smoothness of the reaction. It really rolled extremely well with no over or under reaction apparent.

As it transitioned into the hook area it really accelerated but never gave the feeling that it was out of control or anything. Now usually when I've had a ball react like this it loses a lot of it's hitting ability but this was completely different.

It hit incredibly well and even I managed to get the odd messanger. It looked like a ball that would suit any speed and any rotation as even with slow speed it would set and then just keep on driving.

So if you are looking for a great medium price ball I'd certainly recommend giving this one some serious thought as I honestly can say that it is one of the nicest balls I've bowled with and certainly the hardest hitting ball I've used for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom