PBA 2007 H&R Block Classic

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
Back in Business
RENO, Nev. - 1/7/2007

After one of the worst stretches of his career, all Patrick Allen needed to get back on track was a ball change and a week on the Chameleon oil pattern.

Allen captured his eighth career Denny’s PBA Tour title – his last three of which have come on the Chameleon, one of five Tour oil patterns – defeating all-time titles leader Walter Ray Williams Jr., 255-247, to win the 2007 H&R Block Classic at the National Bowling Stadium.

Allen has won three of the last four events held on the pattern, including the last two last season. The 2004-05 PBA Player of the Year came into the week 36th in the PBA World Point Rankings and hadn’t made a championship round all season.

“There were some issues with me the first half of the season and I made a bold change. Some agreed, some didn’t, but I had to do it to get back here. I didn’t think it would happen this soon,” said Allen, who switched ball companies over the two-week holiday break. “I’ve bowled a lot of TV shows, at least for my standards not Walter’s, but I’ve never come up in the 10th frame needing a strike to win. Needing it against Walter Ray is what you dream of. Getting up and doing it is something I’ll never forget it as long as I live.”

Allen tied a Tour record by going 14-0 in match play this week, equaling the standard Norm Duke set earlier this season.

In the title match, Williams took the early lead with strikes in the first four frames, but a spare in the 5th frame gave Allen an opening. After back-to-back spares in the 4th and 5th, Allen struck six consecutive times to take over. Williams could have struck out to force Allen to double, but instead Williams left a 10-pin with his second shot in the 10th and Allen’s first strike in the 10th clinched the win.

Allen advanced to the title match with a 233-204 win over Pete Weber. The 36-year-old dominated from the start, striking with his first six shots. Weber, meanwhile, started with two opens and dug too much of a hole to catch Allen.

In the first semifinal, Williams defeated Jason Couch, 215-200. Couch led throughout the match until a 4-6-10 split and an open in the 9th. Williams took advantage by breaking a string of five consecutive nine-spares by striking out in the 10th frame to shut Couch out.

Allen (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) earned $25,000, while Williams (Ocala, Fla.) took home $13,000 for second. Couch (Clermont, Fla.) earned $6,500 for third and Weber (St. Ann, Mo.) earned $5,500 for fourth.

Next week the Denny’s PBA Tour heads to Medford, Ore. for the 2007 Earl Anthony Medford Classic, Jan. 10-14, at Lava Lanes. The nationally televised ESPN finals take place Sunday, Jan. 14, at 10 a.m. PST.

Denny’s PBA Tour
2007 H&R Block Classic
National Bowling Stadium
Reno, Nev.
Sunday, Jan. 7

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

Pos. Name, hometown Total/Games Money
1. Patrick Allen, Wesley Chapel, Fla. 488 (2 games) $25,000
2. Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla. 462 (2 games) $13,000
3. Jason Couch, Clermont, Fla. 200 (1 game) $6,500
4. Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo. 204 (1 game) $5,500

SCORES – In the first match, Williams def. Couch, 215-200; in the second match, Allen defeated Weber, 233-204; and in the final, Allen def. Williams, 255-247.

Info from www.pba.com

Frosty:rolleyes:
(Live from Orlando, FL)

Back
Top Bottom