PBA 2006 Beltway Classic

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
The Kid Can Roll
BALTIMORE - 12/10/2006

In less than a year, Sean Rash has gone from a struggling qualifier with a lot of potential to one of the top young bowlers on the Denny’s PBA Tour.

Rash, who late last season became the first non-exempt bowler to win a Tour title, defeated PBA Hall of Famer Parker Bohn III, 279-225, to win the 2006 Beltway Classic at AMF Country Club Lanes for his second career title.

The 24-year-old combined for 18 strikes in his final 19 frames over his semifinal and final matches, dominating the 30-time titlist Bohn in the title match.

Rash got a break in the semifinal against Danny Wiseman, falling behind after Wiseman struck in the first five frames while Rash couldn’t carry and started with four consecutive nine-spares. Wiseman missed a 10-pin in the 6th frame, however, and Rash responded with seven consecutive strikes to advance to the title match, 256-236.

“My first couple shots were pretty good in the first game. After I threw a bad shot in the 4th frame I told myself to regroup, get one break and see what happens. I just believed in what I was doing and took advantage of the opportunity I got,” said Rash (Wichita, Kan.). “I bowled two great bowlers. Parker’s a Hall of Famer and Danny will be someday. When you’re bowling those two guys you can’t think about bowling them, you have to bowl the lanes. You can’t control what they do.”

In last February’s West Virginia Championship, Rash advanced to the field of 64 through the Denny’s PBA Tour Qualifying Round, then became the first qualifier to win a title, earning an exemption for the 2006-07 season.
On Sunday, Rash struck in the first six frames of the title match, opening up a nearly insurmountable lead as Bohn struck in just two of the first six frames. A strike in the 9th frame wrapped up the win for Rash.

Bohn advanced to the title match with a 222-206 win over Chris Loschetter. After a 7-10 split and open in the 5th frame, Bohn had a turkey to take over the lead. Loschetter had a chance to take back the lead with a strike in the 9th, but the 10-pin stood up. Bohn struck with his first ball in the 10th to advance to the title match.

Rash earned $25,000 and an exemption for the 2007-08 season. Bohn (Jackson, N.J.) took home $13,000 for second, Loschetter (Avon, Ohio) earned $6,500 for third and Wiseman (Baltimore) earned $5,500 for fourth.

The Denny’s PBA Tour moves to West Babylon, N.Y. for the 2006 Columbia 300 Classic, Dec. 13-17, at AMF Babylon Lanes. The nationally televised ESPN finals take place Sunday, Dec. 17, at 1 p.m. EST.

Denny’s PBA Tour
2006 Beltway Classic
AMF Country Club Lanes
Baltimore, Md.
Sunday, Dec. 10

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

Pos. Name, hometown Total/Games Money
1. Sean Rash, Wichita, Kan. 535 (2 games) $25,000
2. Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J. 447 (2 games) $13,000
3. Chris Loschetter, Avon, Ohio 206 (1 game) $6,500
4. Danny Wiseman, Baltimore 236 (1 game) $5,500

SCORES – In the first match, Rash def. Wiseman, 256-236; in the second match, Bohn defeated Loschetter, 222-206; and in the final, Rash def. Bohn, 279-225.

This is Rash’s second career Denny’s PBA Tour title.

Report from www.pba.com

Frosty:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom