T

terry parsalidis

what was your favourite tenpin bowling alley before it closed down

Lawnton ten pin is my favourite until
moved now to strathpine in shopping centre with new owner and management
not as family freindly now just look after social bowlers
dont worry about regular bowlers
will never bowl in a league there again

Geelong bowling Lanes.....which was in the centre of the city until it relocated to Belmont in 1990. Couldn't beat it's previous location, central to all transport as well. Now, people in Geelong's northern suburbs have a 20-25 minute drive there, and forget all about it by public transport!

I vaguely remember the old chadstone bowling lanes...wow that was a long time ago... this was before they closed it and re-made it in another part of the centre

Feral,

Because we may be the only ones who remember the old bowls. My fav was Rushcutter where I first learned to bowl in the mid 70's

Suzi

I remember the old chadstone very well the night before it closed my dad bowled the last 300 hundred there and it re-located to into the main center where they also re-located the gym and the bowl moved into the gym where it turned into the bowl.
Chris

2 here in Brisbane -

Clayfield Bowl home of the original Brisbane Cup - I grew up in that centre, met my wife there, shot my first 300 there. Kenny Sheehan made it feel like a second home to new as well as old bowlers, seniors, juniors and all those in between. From memory the league bowlers were told at the end of the season that the centre had been sold and that it would not be a bowling centre the following year, I now believe it is a gym for one of the local private girls schools.

Exhibition Bowl - The first center that I had ever seen that had the concourse in between the 2 sets of lanes. Spent a great deal of time there as well. Close to the city I remember taking my bowling gear with me to work & walking up to the centre after work to practice (free practice on instructomat with my coach for hours).

Those were the days

Dale

'Old bowling alleys' are like 'old bowlers' - the best memories were way back then!!!!! Of course, Clayfield - such a centre for tournament bowling in the good old days - finish league, sit on floor in front of control playing 2 up for hours then screaming home across the 'old' Hornibrook highway - Ken Sheehan and his staff were always motivated for some weird and way out formats - the 'old' Good Elf Ladies Tournament was 41 games if you got to the end........

Rockdale also has some good memories of first time travel away from the very 'bushie' Queensland lifestyle to the HUGE clubs in the big smoke....there was so much enjoyment, drinking and cheering other bowlers on in those days -

Flower

yea clayfield was g ood center even thou I did not bowl any leauge there I bowled a lot of tournament.
there is one center that was good and I bowled my JR there that is logan ( Kingston)
but since there moved the center in does not feel the same
Boy I remeber Exabiton bowl, I bowled JR chamionship there.
What rushcutter closed now. I was there when there had the world cup.

Yes Clayfield was a graet Centre for Bowling but for mine the best fun was at Exhibition great times were had by all.

We are all lucky the walls don't talk.

Ricky Cox

For me the old mutual bowl in the Flinders street station remember that when i was about 8, 1963 i think and the southern cross bowl around the same time up the other end of the city. And my first league house the good old Essendon bowl only just departed this last year.

Rockdale in Sydney. Learned the game there. It was always a bit tatty round the edges but always felt like a comfortable worn pair of slippers. The concourse was about 5 feet above the players area and had an old grandstand that created a great atmosphere on a Tuesday night for the old "Luau Singles" league. We used to have about 15 or 20 people come just to watch the league (12 lanes x 2 matches per pair). One of the original high scoring houses and one of the first to go to a urethane lane surface. It was probably a good thing it wasnt rebuilt because it could never have rediscovered the atmosphere of the old place.

Then of course there was old Rose in the cafe. But that is another story ............................................:roll: :crazyeye:

Later back home in Adelaide, the old City Bowl. It had the same 2 assistant managers for its last 23 years of operation and had a great viewing area from the cafe on the mezzanine floor. Scoring was tough, but it was the same for everyone

Back
Top Bottom