No thumb rule change.

Sounds fair enough. Don't think any of my balls have a balance hole anyway. May just need to check the weights on them to make sure they are legal.
BTW, is this rule happening here as well or just in the states?

Nornally TBA rules follow USBC/WTBA, so I'd imagine it will change here in the not too distant future. I'll email or call TBA and check.

I just posted this on Bowlingchat. Unintended consequences lol.
"Something people my not have considered - you are not allowed a slug in a balance hole. So, even if a ball is statically legal wrt the bridge with an unused thumbhole, if that thumbhole has a slug the ball is illegal to throw two handed. That is going to be an issue for the guys that put their thumb in for spares."

Hmmm... So only bowlers using their thumb are allowed remove two large cores radically affecting the ball's differential? (a.k.a.MOtion Hole drilling, Double Thumb, P3 gradient holes etc..?)

I'm probably going to surprise some folks by standing up for the 2 handers here, but this rule change smacks of "You can do something we can't, so we're changing the rules to disadvantage you."

i.e. Bowling will happily assist people with inadequate releases. (Wristguards, blocked lanes, ultra reactive covers (which destroy lanes, btw, especially on the RHS), Ultra low RG / high diff ball cores, increased leverage layouts, sandpaper to the horizon. But as soon as you think outside the square, bowling wants to get in your way.

I'm not saying the rule change is wrong. But I can't put my hand on my heart and say it's fair. These days "balance holes" are mostly used for creating leverage for people who can't (or won't make the effort to) create their own. Most 2 handers don't need or benefit from a balance hole, unless the ball has a MB on the wrong side of the pin/CG line and needs some weight out to meets tolerances. They generate enough leverage to get the ball to do something by themselves. One of the "leverage craters" I dig for the hand-challenged members of our community just doesn't work for the athletically more capable, as these layouts just turn and die for them. So this rule doesn't achieve much except to placate the mob with their pitchforks and torches shouting "he's cheating!" When in fact, he's probably cheating less than they are.

The trouble with being so far down the slippery slope of mechanical aids, free hook, free hit and free area on the lanes is that the most conservative of us are probably in the worst position to cast the first stone. If we're going to wind back perceived advantages, then do it for everyone, not just the guys who work really hard do something most can't be bothered attempting.

I suspect that substantially reducing the maximum weight hole diameter (to say 13/16", ottomh) for everyone would be a more equitable solution and still allow pro shop operators to work with most balls that turn up on their door. (But that's another topic.)

Anyway, back to packing up my house...

Hi Dousty,
I believe the intent of the rule is good. Gripping holes are just that - to grip the ball with. If you don't use a hole to grip the ball, it's not a gripping hole so it should be classed as a balance hole.
Having said that, I think a fair compromise would be to allow a ball drilled with a usable thumbhole to be weighed off the centre of the grip assuming the thumb is a gripping hole whether the thumb is used or not. That allows currently legal gear with no balance hole to stay legal, and allows the no thumbers the option on future balls to have either a thumb or a balance hole drilled without restricting layouts too much.
As written, gonna be a whole lotta pluggin' goin' on...

Hopefully TBA adopt this rule as well:

c. A ball drilled without a thumb hole may not have more than three ounces difference between the top half and bottom half of the ball

It is currently on 1 ounce..

So what if a two handed bowler steps on the approach to bowl with his thumb in it, at what point is he allowed to take the thumb out? what part of his approach/delivery counts as having his thumb in the ball as all bowlers will have their thumb out of the ball before delivery? who will judge this rule also?

Hopefully TBA adopt this rule as well:

c. A ball drilled without a thumb hole may not have more than three ounces difference between the top half and bottom half of the ball

It is currently on 1 ounce..

Checked the TBA website, the rulebook on the site has not been updated since March 2012. I thought there had been amendments last year, and that the 1 oz rule had been changed - will have to check.
@Jimbob - rationally, the 'delivery' is where you let go of the ball, up to then is the approach. I think we might see some two-handers with huge thumbholes that the thumb just sits in through the swing, or a sudden proliferation of 2 handed 'half-thumbers'. We'll see.

If my understanding is correct, the two handers/ thumbless bowlers palm only needs to cover ( or partially) the thumb hole.

So then the measurement for static weight is taken from the CG - center of grip. If the thumb hole is 2 inches to the left of the actual thumb you have a static weight advantage.

I see this as a win win, the thumbless bowler is no longer called a cheat and the one handers have nothing to complain about anymore.

Leaving us all with getting on and have some fun on the lanes.

Maybe the rule should be that the thumbless bowler's thumb hole position is forced to a more precise position and that simply covering part of the hole is not enough. Either way, the rule would be to hard to police and probably what lead to the hard fast rule.

They can't police it, so they rule it out.

If you read the article a little lower, you will see FAQ. It does go on to say that the palm covering the hole is not aloud.

If the bowler covers the thumb hole with their palm, would that count as gripping?
No, the bowler is not gripping the ball if they are just covering the hole with their palm.

As of August 1st, yes, if TBA adopt the same rule. Problem is, if we redrill everything now, will it be illegal until 1st August?

As of August 1st, yes, if TBA adopt the same rule. Problem is, if we redrill everything now, will it be illegal until 1st August?

I would suggest so, if the rule is to take effect FROM 1st August. It will be interesting to see whether TBA follows suit. AS far as bowling specs and drillings, they always have.

Please explain this one to me Robbie. I'm under the impression that you do not have to drill a thumb hole now. And static top weight must not exceed 3 oz. So there should be no issue in drilling a ball within the guidelines.

Any two handers that has a weight hole and thumb will have to completely plug and redrill their ball once this comes into effect. They may have trouble getting the thumb weight out without moving the finger holes.

Currently, if you don't have a thumbhole, you are only allowed 1 oz. between any 2 sides, including top/bottom. I'm assuming the top weight rule will be amended at the same time as the balance hole rule takes effect.

This ruling is wrong and unfair.

A: Two handers and 'no thumbers' now have less layout options compared to conventional bowlers. (missing out on thumb weight; now useless balance holes due to loss of thumb weight)
B: All bowlers have the right to bowl two handed; so why alter the ruling for those who don't choose to bowl in this way?
C: The centre of the grip is now the bridge. Specifically for bowlers who choose to have no thumb hole.
D: Bowlers who throw conventional spares are now required to have a 'spare ball' (if they choose to have a balance hole in their other balls)

If anything; it's time for two handers to have a whine at one handers for their additional holes within their balls. All USBC has done is shift the power to one handers (the majority; surprise!)

This seems like a knee-jerk reaction from the USBC... And who is to blame? I'd say anyone who has previously had a whine about two handed bowling and how it is ruining the sport...

I bowl one handed and around 475 rpm; are we going to force wrist guards on bowlers who exceed 400 rpm? lol.

If you read the article a little lower, you will see FAQ. It does go on to say that the palm covering the hole is not aloud.

If the bowler covers the thumb hole with their palm, would that count as gripping?
No, the bowler is not gripping the ball if they are just covering the hole with their palm.

It doesn't say that covering the thumb hole with the palm isn't allowed, it says that it doesn't count as "Gripping". The guideline is actually to have the palm cover the thumb hole so that the unused Thumb Hole is drilled in the correct place where it should be.

Back
Top Bottom