Need a little advice

matty_123

Balls are needed to Play!
hey everyone...

of late, i have been leaving more and more tenpins, i am still sorta in the stage of learning, i guess alot of us are? but anyway, im just wondering who know's or who thinks is the best way, to adjust from when you are leaving tenpins its very frustruating when you know you need to shoot a 230+ to win, and you end up leaving 5,6,7 ten pins all after each other:mad: :mad: :mad:. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matty Smith

Matty I hear you mate the best way I have found to help with not leaving as many 10 pins is move your feet backwards on the approach about half a step try it and let me know how u go with it mate

Hi Matt,

10 pins are a function of deflection when your ball hits the pocket. Usually this means that the ball is either skidding too far and not gripping the lane surface effectively. Sometimes it can mean your ball has rolled out which is bowling shorthand for when the ball has accelerated too soon and is decelerating by the time it hits the pins. This is also called "dead roll." Both of these roll problems leave a lot of 10 pins. There are two main ways that this pesky corner stick is left standing.

The Flat 10
When the ball deflects too far off the head pin, it hits the 3 pin too high driving it straighter back, which means that the 3 pin hits the LH edge of the 6 pin, making the six pin drop in the gutter. This is the classic leave called either the flat, weak or soft 10 (pin). PBA pro's often refer to it as the "plack" 10 because of the flat sound it makes compared to a shot that carries.
The answer to this one is to get the ball into a roll earlier on the lane if you have too much skid or make the ball skid longer if your shot is rolling out. (Running out of acceleration before the pins. Scott's advice above can help you get a pinch more speed if roll out is the problem.)

The Solid 10
Also called the "stone" 10. This is where the 6 pin flies around the neck or worse, the belly of the 10 pin. This could be for a number of reasons, but the two most likely are too much ball speed (yes, you can have too much of this good thing) or incorrect entry angle.
The answer to this one is to get the ball into a roll earlier on the lane by backing the speed off a pinch or to manipulate your release to roll the ball with a different axis rotation. A change of line to attack the pocket is sometimes required.

I hope this helps. It may take a few readings to soak it all up, so go over it until you get it and again when you for-get it! ;)

Cheers,
Jason

When I start leaving 10 pins, I try to keep my fingers in the ball a little longer, giving it a tab more lift.

Back
Top Bottom