Injuries

Chooken

Love my nieces and nephew
Hey as I have recently been told I'm out of bowling for a month minimum from hurting my shoulder. It got me thinking what injuries have you had thats put you out of bowling?

Caity!

2nd Shoulder reconstruction that put me out for 6 weeks last year. Luckily it was not my bowling shoulder, otherwise it would have been a lot longer.

I had tendon/ligament problems back in late 2003 that ended up putting me out for 2 - 3 months in 2004.
Physio told me I had Golfer's Elbow [that we renamed Bowlers Elbow] which was inflammation of the tendons/ligaments on the inside of my elbow, rather than the outside [aka Tennis Elbow].
I had to pull out of Shield roll offs with 2 games to go. Devastated.
First time back on the lanes was at NSW Junior State that year. It was against the physio's orders, but it was killing me being a spectator week in week out.
Since then I havnt had anything that has benched me for more than a week or two.

hey

i suffer from what jen said permanently now.. i cant bowl without wearing my strap that sits just below my elbow..

this isnt my only permanent injury.... 4 years ago i was bowling in a tournament that was 16 games long, and in the 15th game i tore my right ring finger tendon.. i was out of the game for 6 months and after having treatment i found out that i was never able to bowl again, unless i change the way i bowl... from the regular 2 fingers n thumb to 4 fingers and thumb..

so now, i bowl like an alien (well i feel like one, when nearly everyone else around the world bowls the regular way - apart from belmo ;) ) it hasnt changed my game much, i can still bowl just as well as i used to.. i am still competitive... after not bowling much at all for 12 months i recently finished in the top 10 of a National Ladies tourny.. if i could find the passion and love for the game that i used to, maybe i could travel and get involved more... yeh... naaaaaaah ;)

so i guess having some injuries wont always keep ya down..

cheers
martina

May last year, l torn all the tendons/ligaments from the bone, in my elbow, along with the damadge to all the cartilage as well.(none left in the actual joint, just floating around now)

Been told l need a full reconstruction of the elbow joint now. It means l can longer straighten my arm, it has a permenant bend in it now. and was told l should not bowl anymore, until after the reco of my elbow.

As the passion is not there as much now, not willing to put myself through the operation, for a possible pain free bowling experiance again.

Have had to totally change my release, to not be in as much pain when l bowl, and now only bowl once per week.

Sadly bowl nowhere near what l did before, had approx a 30 pin drop in average. oh well

Hey All!

Where do I start, I injured my back about 3 years ago, and against doctors orders i have continued to bowl, stupid i know, but i hate sitting back and watching.

In 2005, while in the sliding motion of my shot i turned sideways rolling my ankle outward which caused the tendons in my ankle to snap! My ankle swelled up like a balloon naturally with the skin folding outside my bowling shoe, thats how bad it was. That kept me out for 4 - 5 weeks, and when i came back i had to bowl with an ankle brace on.

Last year 2 weeks before South Queensland's Association Challenge I felt a little twinge in my shoulder and thought nothing of it, but after bowling at the challenge Queens Birthday Weekend and my shoulder giving me alot of grief, i went to the physio and he told me that i had torn the muscle that holds the shoulder up in place. That kept me out for about 4 weeks.

So yeah, hopefully 2007 will be a better year for me, there has a minor injury with shoulder that was fixed very quickly.

Other then hurting my shoulder I hurt my knee about 3 years ago because I was to cramped in my approach. Other then being cramped about a year after that started I dislocated the same knee so now I bowl with a knee guard.

Also about 4 years ago bowling in my first Twin Tour ever other then being that sick that I couldn't stand up, I hurt my wrist but didn't realise till that night and when I felt it, it felt like I broke it but I knew I didn't I ended up having a ganglion so now I bowl with a wrist guard.

I also if I bowl tournaments that go for a couple of days I have to wear my ankle guard as when I was in grade 6 I found out I had loose ligaments in my ankle and have never been to physio to help them get stronger so basically I can't run or bowl a lot without a ankle guard.

Caity

Back injuries about 22 times now.
The most serious keeping me out of the game for about 6-7 months.
The last one was very annoying, it was during the Nationals on my home lanes, I'd paid up for everything ready to go and was just starting to throw the ball good when it went snap again. Very frustrating.
Also had problems ripping the entire skin of my fingertip various time over the years.
Lead a Coke State Final at Moonah by over 180-pins with 3 games to go in 1996 and had to pull out after ripping the bejesus out of my finger-tip.
Tried to keep playing but there was blood starting to trickle and hanging onto the ball was not possible, not only that, but I couldn't have played in the National event the following week in Melbourne with that injury, so Tony Bracken was declared winner and went instead.
Also had the same trouble in the Hobart Cup last year, missed the cut by 4-pins despite bowling the last 5 games of qualifying with one finger in the ball.
Also in the Hobart BOTY tournament it happened, had to bowl the last two games with one finger with my spare ball, missed cashing by 6 pins :mad:

Injuries are one reason why I don't bowl tourneys much anymore.

I had to get the WHOLE nail ripped off my bowling hand's middle finger (don't ask why...), was out for probably a month while it healed properly.

It is weird but whenever I am about to bowl in a tournament, my knee plays up... aches after about 2 games.:confused:

It is fine any other time - I do bowl quite a few games in a week though

Sounds like an excuse but it actually does happen!

My knee plays up on approaches that dont slide well. Also had my ring finger on my left hand squashed between 2 bowling balls. ( One mine and a friends) luckily though it was not my bowling hand.

i'm currently sitting out and have been for about a month with soft tissue tear in right quad. as this is the foot that ends up at the foul line being a leftie its getting frustrated sitting on side lines. Hoping it will be right soon but as with all things just need to be patient.

I'v had a few in recent years. A few years back playing in the Rocky Junior Shield i had some bad cramping in my bowling fingers which hurt alot. then the next year i had groin strain. but only friday night league just gone in the 2nd game i had an agitation to the joint in my right shoulder, thought id be ok to try another game, but happened worse twice in the 3rd game. OUCH

broke my LH ring finger in 2nd last game of state in 96 and had to finish the last game cuz they would not let us use our sub for some reason, was bad then too cuz i was bowling conventional and it was my middle knuckle that was fractured. it was painful as

Tendonitis/tenisynovitis in both arms/hands, plus two protruding discs, curved spine, mild arthritis in lower back and sciatica... all up I've managed to bowl one game in almost 2 years, using a 9 pound ball and I was in pain for a week afterwards. Thank god hubby and son both bowl so I at least have an excuse to spend lots of time at leagues/tournys, or I'd have serious withdrawals!

sprained both bowling fingers over the weekend, still bowled last night and night before. Have sliced through the middle of my bowling thumb on a meat slicer before and went to my league that night. bandages didn't stay on heaps well, just cleaned the blood out of my ball after :D

Currently out for 6-8 weeks with broken hand. Daughter tore a bakers cyst in the back of her knee during a tournament. Numerous sprains, strains and knee problems within the family. Hubby had a double knee replacement that put him out for 12 weeks then could not full approach for about another 2 months. Son tore the ligaments in his ankle after tripping on another bowlers bag on the lanes 3 years ago and still having problems. And so the list goes... but we keep coming back.

All these knees and muscular problems, it begs the question... are bowlers, especially our juniors, being taught how to warm up and strengthen up properly? I know I never see anyone do a proper warm up at the two leagues I sit and watch each week... and rarely at jnr tournys either...

i get back pain sometimes it just comes out of no were i can play a game of footy and be fine but bowl a couple of games and hardly move lol

Back
Top Bottom