HIGH SCORES AND HIGH SPIRITS AT QUEENSLAND CHAMPIONSHIPS

elsie

High scores and high spirits are plentiful at Toowoomba’s Sunset Superbowl as the Queensland Tenpin Bowling Championships resume for the second consecutive weekend

Caboolture bowler, Brad Hales shot the tournament’s high game to date with a 289 in this morning’s first squad, while TBA Hall of Fame bowler, Terry Wenban came close to a perfect game, carding 279 in Squad D this afternoon. Wenban is competing in the Queensland State Championships for the first time, hot on the heels of a stunning win in last month’s INTERNATIONAL SENIOR CLASSIC in Malaysia when he scooped the Masters title and a US$6,000 pay cheque with a 300 final game of the tournament.

“I was 39 pins behind and bowling the positional round, and then threw 269 and 247 - with one last game I shot 300 - a perfect game, the best game I have ever bowled, to win the Masters. “It was the dream finish you think about your whole life, and it just happened – to actually bag it out for a 300! I haven’t been that focussed for years – the focus and the clarity was a great feeling – not nervous, just do it – all shots in the tenth were just flush, bang, bang, bang – it was awesome!,” Coolangatta-based Wenban continued.

“It was fantastic to be one of the Aussies that got great results over there – Sarah Knowland and Val Porteous both won three events in KL too and it was exciting for all of us to successfully compete at international level. “Seniors bowling is one of the growth areas and I’d really like to see more Australians competing in events like this,” he added.

Bowlers from all around Queensland are in Toowoomba for the annual State Championships of this popular sport, competing for an unprecedented line-up of trophies, cash and other prizes including BUNNINGS gift cards and merchandise packs from EUROPCAR. An exciting bonus for entrants in this year’s Championships is the chance to win a luxurious trip for two to Asia, courtesy of BACK ROADS TOURING CO. Two tickets in a fund-raiser raffle in support of the sport will be allocated to every participant, with the prize drawn at the Queensland Junior Cup in July.

Full scores can be found on www.tenpinresults.com.au.

ends

Back
Top Bottom