Hammer hammer (old urethane black)

S

StormChasa

Hey guys 3 years ago i bought an old sckool hammer urethane ball off leo in chester hill...was wondering if anyone has any info about this ball at all or wat the name is? or was it jus called hammer urethane back then? thanks guys:confused:

It was called the Black Hammer, and was a breakthrough in technology.

It was the first ever 2 peice ball.... no pancake weighblock.

Interesting side note here...I believe the guys that now make the Visionary equipment. made the original Hammers.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong no doubt.

were these balls meant to hook? if so for what lane conditions?

Well i had a blue urethane hammer not long ago but that was a pancake weight block, from what i understand the urethane coverstock provides a consistent amount of hook, my blue hammer didn't hook "much" but with a 2 piece weightblock it could have a bit more kick
R

my black one doesnt hook at all anymore....:(
i dont know if i need to get it reconditioned...

Compared to the hook monsters of today the black hammer wont hook very much. It would be better suited to light conditions (at most), this is of course depending on how much hand you have.

You could get it resurfaced and it may help.

In its time it was a world beater.

i was wondering, if i wanted to get this ball reconditioned, is it better to get it sanded back? or polished?

Sanding it back would give it more grip going down the lane, and polishing it... well... it'd just skid... i don't think the ball will flip the way u want it to when it is polished, so it is up to u :) I personally had mine sanded to about 800-1000 grits i think...
R

If you are going to get the ball resurfaced or reconditioned don't take it to Leo at Chester Hill as he will surely stuff it. I know of a lot of people who bought stuff off of him and they have all had problems including myself. He has a bad reputation for ball drilling and repairs. A lot of people that he used to drill balls for have left because of his attitude and unfriendly help. If you want to get your ball done right in Sydney go to Bruno out at CASTLE HILL. He works magic and takes care of his customers unlike leo who is only out for himself. Bruno cares about bowlers and their needs.

At least somebody thinks like i do... I work a proshop in Sydney and have picked up some of Leo's customers, on separate occasions i have found that he was almost an inch short on the spanning of the grip... As well i totally agree with the comment regarding Bruno, very professional and looks after his customers very well
R

Razer,
I am one of those people who had my ball drilled underspanned. I know from experience. Leo told me that i need to learn to bowl. It is impossible to ball well with a ball drilled underspan as you know. You can not release it as you hold the ball like a bear trap snapped shut. No chance of releasing the ball cleanly, that is if you can release the ball at all.

I know exactly what you are talking about Dan... i drill most of my own equipment and when i underspanned it by even an eighth of an inch it feels strange and the timing of the release becomes a little different and it can affect ur whole shot. It is funny, u are not the only person that have been underspanned and told u need to learn to bowl, he somehow manages to convince his customers that his underspanning is "ok" and they get used to how their ball feels, but when they go to another proshop that drills their balls right, they THEN find out how a properly fitted ball SHOULD feel!
Hey Dan, maybe u actually know me in person! Do u bowl in Cheso? I bowl there once a week, maybe PM me so no one knows
R

I know for a fact that not all Drillers are excellent and are as good as others.I myself have had 4 balls drilled by Bruno along with several of my friends aswell, but it isn't that nice knocking others drillers for the public to read about it.Consider also the number of happy customers that these drillers (Leo for eg.) have had.Praise should be welcome on this forums but I don't think deformation should be.It also makes it look bad on Brunos side as it makes it seem as if he is condoning this, which he does not.Bruno is actually good friends with Leo and it hurts him to hear this about Leo.The last thing Bruno would wanna hear is how bad other drillers are.Those who know Bruno would know what a sweet man he is and he sees the good in all people.I spend lots of my free time with him and he is not only a fantastic driller, but a great man to know.

But that is just my opinion which anyone is entitled to disagree with.Also I have not ever had any bad experiences when it comes to Drilling which I understand how it would make some people feel especially with the cost of gear these days.

So on with the positive and less of the negative I say.

Back
Top Bottom