Forum Users Profiles.

jimcross

I read a new post from someone. As I had not noticed any other posts by him, I looked up his profile, to know a little about him.

The only info I got was his name. There is a large percentage of profiles like that.

I presume he was born at some time and hasn't died yet. I can safely assume that he has breathed at least most of that time, and because he said so in his post, he is able to, and apparently does, bowl from time to time.

Very interesting - not!

What on earth's the matter, people?? What's the secret ?

This day & age, people are becoming more wary about how much personal information they make public on sites like this one, and Facebook, etc....

This day & age, people are becoming more wary about how much personal information they make public on sites like this one, and Facebook, etc....

Hi, mate,
Considering your listed occupation, you are not worried? -- or, is it because of it that you're not concerned?

Seriously, should people be concerned about the type of basic info that you have listed for yourself?

I don't really see why people need to know these kinds of details anyway. It's a Bowling Forum not a personals site.

Hi, mate,
Considering your listed occupation, you are not worried? -- or, is it because of it that you're not concerned?

Seriously, should people be concerned about the type of basic info that you have listed for yourself?

I have nothing to hide Jim, so it doesn't worry me...

I don't really see why people need to know these kinds of details anyway. It's a Bowling Forum not a personals site.

Yeah - that's fine, if that's how you feel. That's the sort of feedback I was interested in knowing. It's not a need to know, but it is interesting that some of us feel others knowing that sort of basic info ( e.g. Age / Occupation ) is an intrusion.

Some people are also embarrassed about being in the work they are in; an unfortunate circumstance for some.

As for age; I'm sure some people would rather not say considering their attitude on the forum..... ;) *directed at a select few*

Hi Jim,

I have advertised jobs and refused to interview people due to their profiles. I have seen people loose job's because of their face book profiles and twitter twats.

People should be careful what they post and describe themselves as being. Especially the younger generation of folk.

Social media is one thing all employers look at for profiling their staff. Write rubbish and you will be caught out. Funny thing is a lot of the younger folk forget that things written in what they believe to be a private forum on the "world wide web" also known as the "public domain" are private.

My response to that belief is generally the same, "hahhahahahahaha!!!!"

That's why it is important to check the privacy settings on your facebook account. I personally, don't agree with employers profiling people based on their social media pages, but if you're stupid enough to tell everyone in FB land that you're out on the p**s every night, and doing whatever, then you probably shouldn't whinge about not getting a job based on what you've posted to the internet....

I agree with amagill on part of this, but why do people take social media so seriously.
If you were on it to be serious you don't live much of a life.
Facebook and Twitter both have settings you can adjust for your levels of privacy but you have to reset them every time Facebook does an upgrade.
I have removed Facebook from my mobile phone as it wants access to ALL my data and I think that is going too far.
As for personal profiles it is up to the person what he or she may want to divulge to others.

Amazing. Truly amazing, especially Ryan and John. Ryan - embarassed by the work they do? Whatever they do, it doesn't diminish them. They can only do that for themselves.

John, I've employed many many people. Some for firms I've worked for, others in my own businesses. I have employed some wonderful, wonderful people. Many were a privilege to have known.

I had a really opposite attitude. I always wanted the best I could find, so I threw out the largest net I could find. At one time, I did all the employment for a large diverse company in Kent St. Sydney, in the mid-60s. In those times the 'vacancies columns' in the Syd. Morn. Herald were divided into 4 sections - being, Positions Vacant-men and boys, Positions Vacant-women and girls, Situations Vacant- men and boys, and Situations Vacant-women and girls.

EVERY job I advertised, I put in all 4 sections. This allowed EVERYONE to apply. All they needed was a desire to do the job which I used to describe as accurately as I could - warts ( if any),
and all. All applications were called for in writing, and then ALL, and I mean ALL were interviewed by me. By the way, I never asked for prior experience as a requirement. My department was on the fifth floor, and I recall that for several positions ( all identical ), I had applicants right up the five flights of stairs and a double column for three adjoining premises down Kent St. I spoke to them all.

This resulted in the most diverse workforce imaginable. A just about complete ethnic mix. Women doing jobs previously reserved for men. The oldest I think that I ever employed was 74, he had no prior experience in what was a quite complex position, and he did it better than it had ever been done previously.

A lot of the positions were highly technical, with good 'people skills' mixed in. We trained the people ourselves where necessary, and a number came from ' labouring' - or with women, 'machinists' type jobs, in the rag-trade, etc. Their potential was there, it just had to be tapped. We miss all that potential to-day, being so chained to formal qualifications.

We had a number of competitors. Several multi-nationals among them. We blew them all into the weeds.

Our people were matchless, and we rewarded them accordingly - not just with money, but by making sure they knew the respect and regard they were held in.

End of Rant. For the moment.

Amazing. Truly amazing, especially Ryan and John. Ryan - embarassed by the work they do? Whatever they do, it doesn't diminish them. They can only do that for themselves.

John, I've employed many many people. Some for firms I've worked for, others in my own businesses. I have employed some wonderful, wonderful people. Many were a privilege to have known.

I had a really opposite attitude. I always wanted the best I could find, so I threw out the largest net I could find. At one time, I did all the employment for a large diverse company in Kent St. Sydney, in the mid-60s. In those times the 'vacancies columns' in the Syd. Morn. Herald were divided into 4 sections - being, Positions Vacant-men and boys, Positions Vacant-women and girls, Situations Vacant- men and boys, and Situations Vacant-women and girls.

EVERY job I advertised, I put in all 4 sections. This allowed EVERYONE to apply. All they needed was a desire to do the job which I used to describe as accurately as I could - warts ( if any),
and all. All applications were called for in writing, and then ALL, and I mean ALL were interviewed by me. By the way, I never asked for prior experience as a requirement. My department was on the fifth floor, and I recall that for several positions ( all identical ), I had applicants right up the five flights of stairs and a double column for three adjoining premises down Kent St. I spoke to them all.

This resulted in the most diverse workforce imaginable. A just about complete ethnic mix. Women doing jobs previously reserved for men. The oldest I think that I ever employed was 74, he had no prior experience in what was a quite complex position, and he did it better than it had ever been done previously.

A lot of the positions were highly technical, with good 'people skills' mixed in. We trained the people ourselves where necessary, and a number came from ' labouring' - or with women, 'machinists' type jobs, in the rag-trade, etc. Their potential was there, it just had to be tapped. We miss all that potential to-day, being so chained to formal qualifications.

We had a number of competitors. Several multi-nationals among them. We blew them all into the weeds.

Our people were matchless, and we rewarded them accordingly - not just with money, but by making sure they knew the respect and regard they were held in.

End of Rant. For the moment.

I remember those days very well. Well said: Excellent reading.

Back
Top Bottom