Ebonite Enduro 88

farma

PRESS RELEASE

December 9th 2005

Christchurch, New Zealand

Record NZ$4,000 for winner of tenpin tournament

Garden City Bowl released today the details of it's 'Ebonite Enduro 88' tournament which provides a guaranteed prizepool of NZ$16,600 and an Australasian record of NZ$4,000 for the tournament winner.

The tournament, held in ChristchurchNew Zealand May 20-22 2005, is open to elite bowlers from both Australia and New Zealand. Players must have an average over 180 to compete. The name Enduro '88' refers to the fact the tournament's format is both demanding and limited to 88 bowlers.

Mr Mike Quitter, Vice President of Ebonite International Inc. USA, has lent major corporate weight behind the tournament with substantial cash and gifts from Ebonite for high games and perfect 300 games played over the course of the 2 ½ day  tournament.

There has been a lot of interest from bowlers "over the ditch" to come to New Zealandfor a seriously competitive tournament. The Canterburyregion, with its many natural attractions, provides a premium destination for the sports-visitor

"With airfares to New Zealand similar to domestic Australian fares there ought to be strong interest from top bowlers in Australia"  believes Mr Andrew Gunn, owner of Garden City Bowl.  "I've owned the 24-lane centre for 13 years and we thought it time to invest in a large prize-pool to attract Aucklanders, North Islanders and our Trans-Tasman friends to Canterbury. We're thinking more internationally about competitive tenpin bowling"

This exclusive field of players will compete for the Enduro Cup by playing 20 qualifying games over 2 days.  Only the top 20 then get to complete Sunday in the Bronze Masters and then it quickly gets eliminated to the top 8 bowlers in the Silver Masters and finally the top 4 go through to the Gold Masters.

Centre enquiries to Andrew Gunn Managing Director Garden City Bowl

Phone 64 3 3663323 fax 64 3 3793327 mobile 64 21684355

[email protected]

Full tournament entry forms, tourist information & rules

www.gardencitybowl.co.nz

http://gardencitybowl.co.nz/xurl/PageID/12154/content.html

Sponsors website

www.ebonite.com

[email protected]

farma,

Looks like one I might like to come to. If my calendar allows it, I will be there. Be good to catch up with all the Rachuig guys again. Mind you, it might get pretty cold in Christchurch that time of year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brenton

I understand that the tournament has been scheduled to not clash with any ranking events in Australia to achieve the best possible turnout. We are all looking forward to clashing with you guys on something that is closer to home soil. Although for most us it is still a 1.5 hour flight!

Christchurch will be a bit on the cold side at that time of year.

Well, it looks like I'm coming home.

From living in Christchurch for 23 years, May can be an interesting time of the year climate-wise. It could be 25 degrees, but it could also snow. Sounds like Canberra - better be prepared for everything.

It's so good to finally see a decent tournament in the South Island, I'm already looking forward to what is going to be a fantastic event.

Also I don't mean to nit-pick, but the NZ$4000 is not an Australasian record for a first place prize, just last September the SPC paid out AU$4000 for the winner, and I don't believe that the NZ$ is worth more than the AU$ at the moment. It won't even be an NZ record, as from memory the final Winfield Classic at Manukau in 1995 paid $10,000 to the winner.

David.

I would love to go to this! BUT i can just c my mums face if i ask her! hahaha. looks VERY good, good luck to everyone going!!

Beanie

Nice work, there is always one isn't there. Thanks for pointing that out to everyone!!! :evil:

Just a quick note, appears all the good planning for not clashing with Aussie rankings events has come to naught. According to the TBA website the Arafura Classic Singles, Darwin NT is scheduled for the same weekend, May 20th-22nd 2005

Thanks CT, seems I'm not the only one :roll:

But the Enduro 88 is the richest tournament we have had in a long time (10 years or so), both in terms of total prize fund and first place prize. For that reason alone it is worth supporting, I will be doing just that.

David.

Thanks for pointing that out CT, much more useful than Beanie post I must say...... :(

I will mention it to the tournament organiser.

register interest online

Re the Enduro 88 - you can drop the centre an email requesting Block A or B preference - [email protected] we'd like to post who thinking about coming before the dadline for the deposit (March 20)

Cheapos

Had a few calls from Aus on accomodation for this tournament (May20-22) looking at getting some info posted re shared 2-bedrooom places close to Garden City Bowl. Looks about NZ$45 per night so quite cheap

Cold in May !

Hi farma - chch can't be as cold as Palmy North in May! :lol:

Money & Going Ahead - Update!!!!!

To confirm
The EE88 IS categorically going ahead
The prizemoeny is GUARANTEED NZ$16,600
about 40 interested so far... so BOOK YA FLIGHTS AND RESERVE YOUR SPOT!
Andrew Gunn (owner Garden city Bowl)

Gees Andrew, where have you been living the last 20 years or so. In my days in Chch, I remember it snowing to sea level in May on a couple of occasions (hence my comparison to weather in Canberra). I bet it doesn't snow in Palmy - not in May anyway.

To confirm, I will be coming to this tournament. I will get my deposit etc sent through to you shortly.

David.

BTW, when are we likely to see some squad listings?

Balmy Palmy?

Hey I lived out of fielding for a year - I know the westerlies - but don't worry we have a AIRCONDITIONED CENTRE - prob a new thing for you country boys in a bowling centre?

Not sure about that Gunna.

I remember a trip to a certain Youth Inter-regionals in Christchurch a few years ago (okay maybe more than a few years ago), and I'd swear that the temperature didn't get over about 4 degrees in the entire 4 days that we were there. It was by far the coldest weather I have ever experienced!!

That said it was still a great tournament, although that might have been cause I bowled well!!!

Really looking forward to making my first trip over the Tasmen!

i know of 5 blokes from here who will be going with me to your event, and we are all very excited.

Cant wait..

Jason Belmonte

EE88

Belmo
good to see you coming over the ditch...! Have about 14 registered and still 3 weeks to deposit date. Strong interest from Auz and NZ so hopefully give you guys a run for your money! Andrew

Back
Top Bottom