Bowled at Rushcutters in the 80s, just started up again in Perth!

Vixster

Hello all. What a crazy flash back experience. I bowled as a Junior at Ruschcutters Bay, Sydney in the 1980s. Dr Eddie Kee used to come down and coach me once a week, and we used to travel up to St Leonards etc on other days, and then there were the tournaments etc. It's been interesting trawling this site, to see all the old names I used to know, some like Andrew Frawley who made a career out of it all. Well I picked up a bowling ball for the first time last week after over 30 years, and couldn't believe I averaged 158. I live in Perth now, and a lot has changed since I bowled all those years ago, so I'm interested to see how I progress, and who knows, might start bowling in comps again if all goes well.

Welcome back. Well, you won't have to contend with heads that rattle and pin decks that make the ball go airborne anymore. Hell, after Rushcutter, everywhere is going to seem easy! :)

Enjoy your return!

Welcome back. Well, you won't have to contend with heads that rattle and pin decks that make the ball go airborne anymore. Hell, after Rushcutter, everywhere is going to seem easy! :)

Enjoy your return!
Now , Now Jason rush cutter was once a great place to bowl, I just can't remember when !!

Now , Now Jason rush cutter was once a great place to bowl, I just can't remember when !!
Neither of us are that old, Geoff!

I can't complain. When I was 18, I top qualified for NSW Open there... from inside 5th arrow with a wine U-Dot. We got off the lanes at 2am because of all the breakdowns. Eric Thompson and Mark Malloy kindly arranged with my parents for me to sleep on the lounge in their motel room next door, as we lived over an hour away. Mum came back the next morning with fresh clothes for me, God bless her!

And the next day, they showed us what dry lanes really meant! At 8am, I started in the same spot I finished at 2am and missed the headpin left. Bowled all day with my spare ball, a rather hard polyester piece. Len Hogg trounced us all throwing it through the sound barrier in his inimitable way. I swear there was a smoke trail off the bottom of his Star Track Force 10, like Wyle E. Coyote's Acme rocket powered gym boots!

Yep, Rushcutters Bay... The good old days!

Welcome aboard.

Full rollers ruled at Rushcutter in the later years.

It was a shame the place was allowed to get so run down. Never got to see it in it's heyday

O dear... poor old rushcutters! I was only 12 to 16 years old but i do remember the dry lanes, the breakdowns and the balls always getting stuck. There was even a robbery gone wrong which ended up in a murder. The place was like a 2nd home to me So I loved it. I'm scoring much better than I thought I would be so maybe it was the lanes! So much has changed with bowling in the past 30 years but now that the Internet is available it is so much easier to share info to improve.... Christ im sounding like a dinosaur.

O dear... poor old rushcutters! I was only 12 to 16 years old but i do remember the dry lanes, the breakdowns and the balls always getting stuck. There was even a robbery gone wrong which ended up in a murder. The place was like a 2nd home to me So I loved it. I'm scoring much better than I thought I would be so maybe it was the lanes! So much has changed with bowling in the past 30 years but now that the Internet is available it is so much easier to share info to improve.... Christ im sounding like a dinosaur.

Merv Malouf

RIP

Back
Top Bottom