Best bowling commentator on Aussie TV

AdrianS

This is the future!!!
Who was it? Chris Bombolas got pretty good at it after a while(and Tim Bailey didn't ha ha!!!)

Steve Robilliard wasn't too bad on ABC in the late 80's

Gordon Bray (The voice of Rugby Union) was a very professional sportscaster who did a great job on the SPC shows on ABC around that time.

Terry Wenban was always good at the job.

Norman May & Steve Mackie did a creditable job {although it was a boring telecast} of the 1983 SPC at Bankstown.
Mackie's pearls of wisdom include the old "If the face got strikes, he'd have an average of 300" - Relating to Tom Kury.
"Jeanette Baker turns the ball quite a bit for a woman bowler"

And the alltime howler of the times being on Tas-TV here in Hobart in 1986, along with local TFL Football commentator Peter Sharp, Mackie commentating on the match between Ruth Guerster and Rodney Radcliffe in the 1986 Hobart Cup proclaims " and Radcliffe with that torn thumb is getting further and further behind in the match, and being beaten by a woman won't be making that thumb feel any better" :oops: You should've heard the woman in my household :shock:
Guerster wins 216 to Radcliffe's 174.
That's the way it was in those days.

All time worst commentator for bowling I've ever heard would be this guy {Who's name escapes me} commentating on a match at Darwin Bowl in the Arafura Games in 1998 - I think - on SBS Television.

One bowler from Brunei smashes the pocket, ten in the hole "And a lucky strike there" goes the commentator :shock:
Amanda Bradley is on fire, starts with a 5-bagger, then dumps one in the moat and spares for ZERO TEN SPARE :eek:
Too many strange comments to keep going with here but let me say there were a few.
I didn't watch it again or he probably would have heard me from Hobart to Darwin telling him what a good job he was doing :lol: :lol:

The Best:
Chris Bombolas
Gordon Bray
Andrew Frawley
Terry Wenban

There was a World Tenpin series at Mt Gravatt quite a few years ago now, they had a few events (skins, masters etc). Ill never forget cara killing it,

Tim Bailey comes out with this pearler " And thats 7 in a row for cara, can i say it, yes i think i will, could we be seeing a 300, the perfect game"

Andrew Frawley comes over the mic " Yeah mate i know you get alittle excited, but with that spare mate it's a Two Hundred and Seventy Nine (emphasised the 279)." I laughed myself silly. Good value though :)

Cant really comment on commentators, i havent seen a whole lot of bowling on tv in australia, there is one i would like to add but cant remember her name. It was about the same time, she was a 'certified' coach at the time and she came on as what seemed the technical comentator, it was perfect, she really knew her stuff. One thing i cant stand is if the commentators who try to play up to the audiences that they actually know their stuff, then you hear something like, "unlucky shot that, the 6 and the 10 pin just wouldnt fall" after sending it left and going right through the nose (lucky not to leave a 6-7-10).

But in the topic of commentators (do you mind if i add someone not in australia but who would have been seen on tv here), i totally love Sid Wadell, more noted for his darts and pool comentating, he was partnered alongside richard hood for (i think it was this series) Lambeth World Masters. His cockney accent along with some ripper lines made an otherwise drab affair pretty damn exciting :D

Yeah, that pom guy's funny, When Tore Torgesson and Phillip Dunne were throwing a string at each other he said "theres more strikes here than french air traffic control" :D :D

Back
Top Bottom