Australian PBA Members

The ones that I know of that have been or still are PBA members:

Andy Mckay
Tony Roderick
Wayne Chester

Please forgive me if I have missed anyone (no doubt I have).

Graham Smith was on tour for awhile and one of the first Aust. ever to cash on tour.

Add John Fitch in the 60's, Terry Wenban in the 80's and early 90's and Leo DiBenedetto in the early 90's to the list. In fact Leo is the last Australian to cut in a PBA national event. (Might have even been the first)

Several players have played one or two PBA events, ie US Open or Brunswick World Open, but have not become members.

Australian PBA Member Chronology

G'Day Folks,

John Fitch was the first Australian way back in the 60's. (Carmen Salvino asked after him with genuine warmth when I was there.)

Andy McKay had a crack at the tour without success in the Late 70's early 80's some time.

Greame Smith toured in the 80's and was room mate to the great Marshall Holman for a stint. He picked up a cheque while he was there.

Tony Rodrick (please spell his name correctly, as it drives the poor man spare) cashed in a regional in the late 80's.

Yours truly played the Fall Tour of 1992 without success. Truly the hardest damn job of my life. (Bowling on the PBA National Tour probably helped me quit bowling.)

Leo DiBenedetto cashed in 1994ish (I was out of the game by then and heard it on the grape vine.

As I wasn't aware of Wayne Chester touring, then I must assume this was after Leo.

You've got to take your hat off to anyone attempting the PBA. It's the only job that costs you about US$1000 a week to go to work on the off chance that you can finish in the top 10% of your co-workers (who just happen to be the very best people in the world at the same job) and make a living. It takes real guts to go week to week, town to town in the snow and the mud and the awful North American Weather (well, some parts anyway) to do this work. Forget the glamour of the TV broadcast. It's a bloody hard and lonely slog.

The question in the first post asks "have any Australian men been PBA Members?"

Sort of rules out Carol methinks :)

And I always thought Carol was a - never mind!

That will teach me to read more carefully the opening post!

Hello,
Just wanted to clarify Jason re Graham Smith adventure to the U.S.A. which started in 1976 after winning the Aust. Hawaiian Invitational tournament in sydney giving him the chance to bowl in Hawaii in a pba run event with 9 of the top pros and 1 from japan and 1 from Hawaii.
In 1977 he bowled in the Western regional PBA tournament Qualify 4th with a impressive 224 ave.
In 1978 he joined the PBA in the Fall tour in oct cashing in Battlecreek ,Michigan and bowled again in 1979 Fall tour cashing in the very first tournament, and just missing the cut.
He roomed with Marshall Holman in both 78 and in 79.
He then went back with Terry Wenban for the 83 Fall tour anf then stayed on himself for the Winter tour also making various cashes.
In 84 Graham won a what's called a Rabbit tournament over there giving him a spot in the main PBA event in Illinois.

A man who I respect and have listen to many of his stories from his vast knowledge and experience over the other side of the world. He done what most of us only get to dream about.

Thanks
Tony

The Great Gra Gra

strop said:
Hello,
Just wanted to clarify Jason re Graham Smith adventure to the U.S.A. which started in 1976 after winning the Aust. Hawaiian Invitational tournament in sydney giving him the chance to bowl in Hawaii in a pba run event with 9 of the top pros and 1 from japan and 1 from Hawaii.
In 1977 he bowled in the Western regional PBA tournament Qualify 4th with a impressive 224 ave.
In 1978 he joined the PBA in the Fall tour in oct cashing in Battlecreek ,Michigan and bowled again in 1979 Fall tour cashing in the very first tournament, and just missing the cut.
He roomed with Marshall Holman in both 78 and in 79.
He then went back with Terry Wenban for the 83 Fall tour anf then stayed on himself for the Winter tour also making various cashes.
In 84 Graham won a what's called a Rabbit tournament over there giving him a spot in the main PBA event in Illinois.

A man who I respect and have listen to many of his stories from his vast knowledge and experience over the other side of the world. He done what most of us only get to deam about.

Thanks
Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that. I remember Battle Creek, MI, but had forgotten about the rabbit event. For the benefit of those folks who have no idea about what a "rabbit" event was, those were the days when just about every tour stop was over-subscribed with entries, so this was the fairest way to sort out who got a go from the non-Touring Players. On that subject a Touring Player was somebody who played in 1/2(TP2) or 2/3(TP1) of all national tournaments and cashed in over 1/2 of events in the previous calendar year. To put it simply, you are one of the finest players on Earth if you have a TP ranking.

It really puts some perspective on just how good Smithy is as a player. I'm sure that hearing his tales would be good value having shared a few pale ales with him. A real gentleman, to be sure.

Cheers,
Jason

On the subject of rabbit squads i read a story once about a stop where the top 80 guys from the rabbit squad were seeded into the field, the rabbit had 81 entries so they had to bowl 10 games to eliminate 1 bowler, Californian pro(you'd probably know this guy Wayne) Jon Roberts was the poor sod who finished 81st!

Hi Jason
Jeff from Brisbane here, Just wanted to ask what happened to you and your bowling? I used to think that you would become one of Australia's top bowlers. Then you just disappeard after you went to the States.
For those that don't know, Jason use to thow an enormous shot and was great to watch.
Jeff.

Which way did he go..?

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your kind words. :)

I could write an essay on why I left the game (in fact, I've tried a couple of times - it's very complex), but it was not the first time. I had taken a year or more off pretty regularly throughout my career.

I moved to the Blue Mountains, then got married, pursued a career in telecommunications, moved to Canberra, left the corporate world thankfully, studied full time for three years and basically had no life for a very long time.

I always said when I couldn't enjoy the game, I wouldn't play it. I say the same thing about working with wood these days, but with a house to renovate, I may have to bat on a bit longer.

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom