Australian Left hander George Frilingos.

Jase

Admin
Staff member
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

GF I was actually alot better at Track n Field, I stuck with bowling because I enjoyed playing in my junior team (the Goodies, we had bright orange shirts). I got along way with Track n Field; I sucked at bowling as a junior.

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

GF I was 6 and I honestly can’t remember, maybe 50, it wasn’t much but I loved it!

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

GF I didn’t and I don’t think I have a talent for bowling. I have worked very hard to get to my level; I think bowling is a sport that with the right guidance and effort you can achieve anything. I sucked for 17yrs of my bowling career; I have been successful for 7yrs, hard work and more hard work!

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were?

GF I had good co-ordination but couldn’t hook it like the other kids I sucked as a junior, I tried out for Presidents shield a few times and never made it. I had to work at it alot more than most.

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

GF I won the Cairns Open in 1999 which was a huge turning point in my bowling career. I think I won the Townsville Open Masters in 1997 but the Cairns Open was special, I bowled my first 300 there too

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

GF I never won anything as a junior as for winning, I love the feeling, especially knowing where I came from and where I started.

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

GF No actually it’s a lot of fun, I enjoy performing at the highest level, I love the competition. I feel no pressure, it’s only a game, some people forget that, we're not playing for sheep stations, are we? Lol

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

GF I'm not a good coach with the approach side of things but I can certainly help people with the technical side. I have run some classes in 2006, I intend to develop them further and run alot more in 2007 to help aspiring bowlers.

Providing pathways and guidance to up and coming bowlers is the key for the sports longevity, something I didn’t really have as a junior. The sport is a lot more structured now; I think it’s a good thing.

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

GF The Australian Masters, the last feather in my cap, look out Tassie next month!

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

GF No chance, I'm done!!! 2006 was my final year for Rep bowling, 2007 will be my final year of tournament bowling, 2008 hopefully I'll be retired.

I am more than happy with what I have achieved in 24yrs of bowling, time to hang up the wrist guard and teach my son how to play tennis

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

GF I can think of a cool game I could star in, it would involve a kangaroo and his friends Not a kid’s game though.....

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with.

GF
Probably Matty Johns from the footy show, he's piss funny and very random, I like that in a person

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

GF You’re not the only person to have said that...... probably not the sort of modeling that most people think of though

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

GF Successful, nothing planned, just wanted to be good at anything I put my mind to, so far so good

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

GF
Play with my son Antony, I'm currently teaching him to roller-skate and play tennis, and he’s a sports nut like his dad!

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

GF Bowl in a team and have some fun. I think team bowling is under rated; it's what keeps the sport clicking over.

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

GF For sure, I've made good friends with guys and gals from all around the world. I have cherished memories, if you get the chance to travel, go for it!

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date?

GF 2 things

Winning the Commonwealth Masters at the recent Commonwealth Tenpin Champs in Victoria (nothing beats standing on a Dias hearing your National Anthem played)

and

Winning the South Pacific (thinking of it gives me Goosebumps). Considering the people who also have their name on that trophy, I feel honored to have my name on it too.

TB
Boxes or briefs or free for all...

GF Cotton boxes, the new Bonds are awesome!

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

GF MY parents have also been supportive ever since I started, I still talk to my dad daily about something related to bowling, and he loves it more than me!

I would have to also say my partner Lyndal; she's put up with a lot over the last few years. Hopefully with my reduced bowling schedule in 2007 / 2008 we can spend more time together.

Thanks for talking to us...Watch out for TotalBowlings next interview!

Back
Top Bottom