ATBSO N (Australia's Premier Tenpin Bowling organisation for a reason)

SeanGothe

The ATBSO N has unfortunately been forced to cancel this year's Annual Seniors Tournament & National Championships due to new Covid outbreaks and the resultant restrictions.

A difficult and obviously necessary decision but also a pre-emptive one which removes uncertainty and allows those impacted some time to try and re-arrange their travel arrangements (including flights and accommodation as well as annual leave etc.

A typically correct and quick decision from the organisation run by bowlers for bowlers.

Funny thing is Sean I spent a few very worthwhile years working for the ATBC. Some people saw it advantageous to close it down - there of course was simply one reason it was closed down [everything else coughed up as justification is simply smoke and mirrors] and it's been largely downhill from there more recently.

This is exactly what happens when the people that really count - the members of an organisation - are ignored, treated with utter contempt and pushed aside by a desire to be nothing else but politically correct.

Thankfully real bowling people are still around to see that the game and the sport retains it's direction and dignity............just as the Seniors have done year in and year out.

Yes the Seniors (ATBSO) is a tremendously successful and well run organisation.
At the same time I must give full credit to the TBA who made a profit of $319,237 for 2020. There was a little contribution from the taxpayer.
$523,973 in Grants & an additional $437,500 in Government subsidies.
Not sure about government giving a sporting organisation $961,473 during a Pandemic when thousands of people have lost their jobs, livelihoods and businesses. The government may need to look at its priorities. I do hope the TBA returns at least $300,000 of these funds (if they have not already) so that the money can be used to help people who really need it. I know the TBA is very conscious of modern day society with their commitments to issues such as 'Women in Sport' and the 'Indigenous community'. I am sure that the TBA is acutely aware that it doesn't need to make a $319,237 profit when there are people out there who need government (taxpayer funded) support far more than an already profitable sporting organisation. I want to publicly congratulate the TBA in advance of what would be a very appropriate gesture or if they have already given the funds back.

Last edited:
.........................wouldn't that be a great contribution Sean. Then the TBA could be put alongside other entities like Santos, Domino's Pizza and Toyota who have returned Job Keeper in full. What a fine upstanding example they would set to both their members and to other sporting associations.

I'm sure there will be an urgent TBA Media Release coming out this week announcing just that - don't you think so too?

Thanks Steve you are absolutely right,
I was just reading over the recent ''News" posts on the TBA website from the last month or so and the community focus is absolutely fantastic.
There is a post celebrating NAIDOC Week for our Indigenous people, another for ''Tenpin's Women in Leadership" and one for "Sporting Schools".
There is a post for "Down Syndrome QLD" and there are about another 6 posts relating to Disability and the Disability Championships.
I think you are right........the TBA obviously has its heart in the right place. When the funds are returned the TBA has an absolute right to attach a note instructing the government and Sport Australia to ensure that the funds are spent on people who really need it.

Back
Top Bottom