Are you a Bowling Geek

John_Velo

G'Day All,

I love my bowling and since comming back to bowling I have had so much fun trying to take it all in. There is just so much to learn and understand.

Whilst watching the PBA Pro's going around, with ball reps in tow I think, heck how much do the pros know. Then I watched "The Bowling Center, Episode 3". If you have 30 minutes its a bit dry and American but a good show all the same. And good on the guys for putting the show together, I have enjoyed it so far.

So, if you don't have 30 minutes free go to about the 8th minute of the latest edition and see just how much the pro's know. The Geekiest Pro was no surprise.

Thanks for reading.

I tried really hard John to watch it... I made it to 7:30 secs before I had to stop, I think it was just after the 3rd or 4th "Blue Balls" joke. I just couldn't do it anymore. ;)

Ha Ha Roy,

I did give the advanced warning, it is dry and full of American humour, if there is such a thing. Hence giving the time stamp to skip the rest.

I chuckled at the blue balls jokes. But that could just be the morphine they gave me after surgery today! :D

I've watched most of these bowling center shows and I've enjoyed them for the most part. It's always interesting hearing the pros perspective on things...

I am working on it Andrew, more you know the better you get.

Wish I had the knowledge to know when to move left or right because the area is trashed. To often I leave it to many frames before reacting.

I guess we all can't be Chris Barnes. I do like the comment in the middle when asked what oil do you prefer, " I am not Chris Barnes", universally his knowledge respected.

I am working on it Andrew, more you know the better you get.

Wish I had the knowledge to know when to move left or right because the area is trashed. To often I leave it to many frames before reacting.

I guess we all can't be Chris Barnes. I do like the comment in the middle when asked what oil do you prefer, " I am not Chris Barnes", universally his knowledge respected.

I just try to watch how the ball reacts when I throw it. If it does something unexpected, I will first analyse, in my head, wether or not I threw the ball correctly and if I hit my targets or not. If I feel like I threw correctly and hit my targets, I'll make a move and/or ball change based on that shot. If I decide I didn't throw it right, or didn't hit my targets, then I won't make a change, based on a bad shot.

I actually watched this and loved the blue oil, it should be everywhere then normal bowlers would have a better chance to compete, I am a visual person and this would help me ....
Loved listening to Barnes, he actually explained things so you can relate them to your self .... have to watch the rest but off to golf now.

Another great post John .... I think your a bowling nerd .... Joe would be very confused.

Funny you say that Terry, in trying to explain the issues you face in a ten game block to dad, like not having the right ball in your hand or being on the right part of the lane with the right rotation and how the last pair of bowlers on the lanes can break them down badly, dad just shakes his head and says, "why don't you just bowl the bloody thing".

Yep, times are different.

Funny you say that Terry, in trying to explain the issues you face in a ten game block to dad, like not having the right ball in your hand or being on the right part of the lane with the right rotation and how the last pair of bowlers on the lanes can break them down badly, dad just shakes his head and says, "why don't you just bowl the bloody thing".

Yep, times are different.

I made a promise to myself that I would NOT enter this discussion, but I can't stop myself from saying " good onya Joe!" Bowling used to be, and should still be, a matter of the bowler - purely by his or her own physical skill in moving down the approach, and then releasing the ball in a consistant and accurate and planned manner. The bowler did it all !!!, as most athletes in other sports still do. It shouldn't require a degree in physics.

The bowler did it all !!!, as most athletes in other sports still do.

The thing I find funny about this comment, is that that's exactly how it is whilst bowling on a sports condition, PLUS all the extra required knowledge of todays game.

Every one is aware that house shots are killing the sport, that horse has been beaten enough on this forum already. (re: technology taking away need for skill, etc)

Back
Top Bottom