Arafura Games 2009

Hi Everyone,
Please note the included announcement about Arafura Games 2009.
More information available shortly.
June

Attachments

• A MESSAGE TO ALL BOWLERS OF THE NORTHERN TERRITORY.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 112
June

I'd like to say congratulations on getting the IOC to sanction the Arafura Games but I won't for the following reasons:

1. The IOC have forever and a day thumbed their noses at the sport of Ten Pin Bowling.

2. They are dictating what you can and can't have as part of the Official Program of your games.

What value are they adding to the event? Zero. Quite frankly most people would only know what the IOC is for two odd weeks every 2 years (summer, winter).

What effect is this having on the event? They are destroying what is a fantastic event that I felt priveledged to experience in 2005. Sure I can still be a part of it in 2009 (being a scratch bowler) but 95% of the bowling population can't. To me that suggests their is a problem!

I would suggest that the organisers of the Arafura Games think very seriously before they look at making changes to an event just to cater for the IOC. In my opinion a group of people who are totally out of touch with the reality of the way sports function in this world as they like to think they help sport but to me they just send a clear message that only the elite athletes in this world are athletes and the rest do not fit the description.

Well done June
I really have tried to stop myself from posting in the NT Forum but I just cant help myself tonight being a long term Territorian (30+years and have played in League at Nightcliffe but many moons ago) I am now going to practice like hell to get my average up so I can try and quallify in 2009. To Terry "Bah Humbug"

Cheers Julie

Terry,

Arafura Games is a strong sporting festival, larger than Commonwealth Games and not only involves sport but behind the scenes economic exchanges between the Northern Territory and our Asian Neighbours. Territory Major Events have a group of staff who work full time on the games year in year out to make it a success and we are only one of over 20 sports permitted into the games. All sports must run within the guidelines of the Arafura Games Charter and international rules and regulations by their NSO and Asian Federation. Tenpin bowling has now attracted teams from Malaysia, Singapore, China, Brunei, Indonesia and most Asian Federations have advised the NT Government that a youth and open competition will attract them to send a team. The Games is an international event and sports remain in the games because of the internationals and open teams that they attract. The idea of the Games is to provide opportunities for developing open class athletes and seasoned open class athletes with top competition and promotion of the sport. This Bi-annual event provides our sport with international television coverage, local print, radio and television coverage and each year we attract more and more international bowlers. In 2009 we hope that all states will send a youth team as an opportunity to gain international tournament experience on their home soil, and perhaps some states will have rolloffs or selection to send representative teams now that the rules encompass teams of 6 from a country, state or region.

The Arafura Classic Singles is a separate event but every two years is held at the end of Arafura Games so that the internationals will stay and compete.
In 2009 it is hoped that Arafura Classic Singles will be on the ABF Rankings Tour as well as the TBA Rankings Tour.

June

Thanks for the informative reply June. I must admit that when I posted the previous post I was not fully aware of the Arafura games current program and charters.

However I still believe that restricting such a well supported sporting event to open competition defeats the purpose of fostering competition. Not everyone is at an open level and to expect people to compete when they are clearly out of their depth tends to only lead to people giving up the sport.

Any way I too hope the games grow further as they are a great way to foster sporting ties with our Asian neighbours.

The games have started, scores are being updated on the TBA website.

Very disappointing to see athletes from only 1 Asian country.....there used to be bowlers from Malaysia, Brunei, etc as well as the Chinese.

Congratulations to Natalie Shelley and Ronald Voukolos who today won their respective Masters finals at the Arafura Games, with NT flag bearer Yvette Thompson, and Scott Richards finishing in second spot after a 2 game matchplay.

Some good form coming into the Arafura Classic, squads commencing Saturday.

The games have started, scores are being updated on the TBA website.

Very disappointing to see athletes from only 1 Asian country.....there used to be bowlers from Malaysia, Brunei, etc as well as the Chinese.

End up being Malaysia and Macau China bowling.
Arafura Games was the best and i will defiently be travelling up again in 2 years time. The atmosphere is unbelievable and they really make you feel like atheletes. Most interesting sport was defiently Muay Thai (tokyo boxing).

We got good publicity for bowling with the radio station (Mix 104.9) broadcasting from the bowl on Wednesday morning, with a few of us getting interviewed.
Best thing was getting 50% off McDonalds :p

Back
Top Bottom