2018 Senior Australian Open

Hi, can you please correct surname - Mustchin
And I may feel it some days but not GS yet

Thanks Terry

Hi I origanally posted this on the Senior post but I will not be able to bowl this year due to 3 fracture ribs caused whilst bowling. If possible can you please transfer my deposit to Terry Wenban.
Thank you and sorry.
Kevin Blackmore

Why the low scores at Keon Park ??? Bowlers mast feel frustrated having to pay entry, accommodation, travel expenses to be faced with such difficult conditions. Dockers

Why the low scores at Keon Park ??? Bowlers mast feel frustrated having to pay entry, accommodation, travel expenses to be faced with such difficult conditions. Dockers

Seniors Australian Open. Sounds like a competition that should attract high calibre bowlers. If the conditions were difficult, they would have been difficult for all bowlers (except those who have learnt to adapt and overcome) - a level playing field (no pun intended).

So AJD, you would be happy then if most of the bowlers didn't come back next year because they didn't enjoy themselves?

So AJD, you would be happy then if most of the bowlers didn't come back next year because they didn't enjoy themselves?

Strop, are you saying that Seniors are only capable of enjoying themselves if the bowling conditions are really easy?

You still didn't answer the question, I am saying the Senior events for most are about enjoying themselves and they don't need tough conditions to do that. They did that as in the Adult circuit and can still do so. But if they walk out shooting a reasonable average, they will come back. Again are you willing to take that chance with a harder condition!

Well I actually bowled in the tournament. It was difficult due to being to dry. Pattern advertised at 26ml of oil played like 10ml, could be due to only 1.9ft of oil on the first 9 boards on first pass. Hopefully wont be as bad in SA on same pattern. Not sure why mentality is seniors need no oil when we have low ball speed to start with.

You still didn't answer the question, I am saying the Senior events for most are about enjoying themselves and they don't need tough conditions to do that. They did that as in the Adult circuit and can still do so. But if they walk out shooting a reasonable average, they will come back. Again are you willing to take that chance with a harder condition!

Strop, didn't answer the question because you set up a strawman and false argument. You are also suggesting that Seniors only have fun if they make their perceived average.

Perhaps I can state/ask this a different way. If the conditions were difficult, were they difficult for everyone? Did some bowlers adapt and overcome the difficult conditions?

I only raised this point here, because this is the 2018 Senior Australian Open. It is not "most" events. Clearly, if the conditions were not as advertised (as Alberto suggests), then someone has to have that discussion somewhere. But Strop's and Docker's comments suggest that Seniors will only bowl when conditions are made easy and bowling is predictable. Is this really the case?

After speaking to a few bowlers from the week-end, clearly wasn't the advertised pattern. More of a reverse block from what I hear, the usual wet out side with dry in the middle. Some-one needs to check why?
As a bowler in these events and a organizer as well in the past, I have found that Seniors spend allot of money to travel to these events for little return. Allot like the atmosphere and get together, and then there is the bowling. They definitely do not want sports patterns, or Challenging patterns, that's why over the years they have gone for more of the recreational patterns. As i have said unless it has changed of recent years they are more happier to walk out shooting a 200 ave (even though they may not have come anywhere) than to walk out shooting a 170...180 ave.
Seniors have always had the big numbers turning up to bowl. Sure if there difficult, some can cope compared to other, but that also the same for easy conditions, you would be surprised how many can't shoot high numbers on easy conditions.
TBA have always tried to dictate what patterns to choose from, which I have always disagreed with. You give them $275 to sanction a tournament and for what?
I, like many tournament organizers, if you start putting hard patterns down, do you want to risk the bowlers saying or thinking "Bugger it" I am not going back there.
As i say" Is it worth the risk" If it's not broken why try to fix it.
Now this is my own learning over the years and my own own opinion. If I'm wrong, then happy to admit it.

I think the problem over the week end was surely a mechanical one. That pattern certainly wasn't advertised.

Have a good one!

Cheers

Hi All,
This is my take on Seniors most of us bowl to still have that competitive nature in our self,very few bowlers make money out of Seniors(we all know the bowlers that do) the easier the pattern the better I have bowled all over Australia the last few years & i have seen tournaments with waiting list if you wanted to bowl, at the moment except for a few tournaments you could turn up on the day & bowl.So what is happening to the Senior Circuit in Australia there are bowlers that bowl and know in the own mind that they will not cash BUT spend many dollars to come and bowl & we want to make it harder for them if we are going to save the Seniors we need to set up prize funds that reflect the actual bowlers we have in each division so here we go.

Please note this is only a starting point for prize money.

Seniors Male base prize money on 35 bowlers.
Grand Seniors Male base prize money on 30 bowlers.
Seniors Female base on prize money 20 bowlers.
Grand Seniors Female base prize money on 10 bowlers.

For far to long we have not giving back to the bowlers who support these tournaments
For far to long we see $15,000 prize money based on 90 entries (that is my favorite) but who takes all the money.

The Seniors have been pretty good to me I have got back a little bit of money,but it is time we give back to the bowlers that make our tournaments great.

Darrell Holt.

No Ditch No Daz.

Hello Bowlers, for those that are thinking of coming to Adelaide for the SA Seniors Classic but are a little wary of the pattern we are using which is the same one used in the Aust Seniors Open at Keon Pk, l would just like to assure you all that it will NOT play like it did on those two days in Melbourne... We have put this pattern down at Cross Rd Bowl for the last 3 or 4 weeks on Saturday mornings and it is certainly very score able ... Hopefully this will put to rest any fears you might have, and will come to our lovely city....Cheers

Back
Top Bottom