2014 Nationals

strop

Elite Athlete
Interesting Reading......

We are keenly aware that the National Championship caters to a diverse range of players both in age and average Level. Players should go away from their experience at the Nationals knowing that they have been challenged but not defeated. The reality is that the WTBA patterns we have used in recent years is simply too difficult for the majority of competitors,” TBA CEO Cara Honeychurch commented.

She continued, “Given the recent success of the Asian Seniors Championship held last November at AMF Rooty Hill and the similarity of the lane surface to Tenpin City, TBA will be using this pattern throughout the entire Championship. However in keeping with TBA rules which require all nationally ranked events to be conducted on an approved WTBA patterns, the Seoul pattern will be used for the final rounds of the Australian Masters. We are confident this pattern will provide exciting bowling for spectators whilst providing an appropriate challenge across for all competitors”.

I just thought it was interesting and good news. Don't you.
It would be better news if the "Seoul Pattern" was put on the "Golden Chariot" along with Gabriel, his golden trumpet, all the other departing "SOULS" and given the ride of their lives into the blue yonder.

Just thought it was interesting frankie!!

With all due respect Peter, isn't it enough that the TBA have caved in to all the whingers and given them a ditch to bowl the nationals and Rachuig on without making the Masters a carry fest as well? Surely the Masters should be on a tough pattern to make the victory an earned one.

It would be better news if the "Seoul Pattern" was put on the "Golden Chariot" along with Gabriel, his golden trumpet, all the other departing "SOULS" and given the ride of their lives into the blue yonder.

With all due respect Peter, isn't it enough that the TBA have caved in to all the whingers and given them a ditch to bowl the nationals and Rachuig on without making the Masters a carry fest as well? Surely the Masters should be on a tough pattern to make the victory an earned one.

If the PGA conducted their sport on Par 3 courses (the ditch), within a short period of time their "sport" would be devalued to the status of "recreation" no longer commanding respect for the skills necessary to play at the top level.... PGA Players would soon be competing for a pittance of current prizefunds, and something akin to what Bowlers do now

The modern perception of sport requires the pointy end of every sport to endure the hardest, toughest or most grueling conditions. This is specifically introduced to best showcase the high level of skills required to compete, otherwise the worthiness of the competition or the sport itself is discounted in the eyes of fans. This "elite" level and graded structure within a Sport is what creates desire among lower level participants to practice and improve, so they can become an accepted member of a more elite group, the next grade higher.

The pathway for Bowling to be considered a genuine sport lies in Bowling's ability to change the perception of the public. As usual, the governing body is heading in the opposite direction to what is best for the Sport and will lead to the Sport's eventual demise
Beginning at your local Bowling Centre, when we allow an entry level competitor to successfully compete against a higher skilled experienced player via the handicap system, we diminish the value as a sport. When we base the competitions on average instead of wins, we are progressively destroying the perception of a sport. When we allow all competitors to artificially achieve a level closer to the "perfect" via lane conditions we are destroying the perception of a sport. Other sports continually attempt counter the advances made in equipment in order to retain their sport's integrity, TBA does the opposite.

When we allow all competitors to artificially achieve a level closer to the "perfect" via lane conditions we are destroying the perception of a sport

Really, they didn't think of this when they allowed reactive balls making the game easier for most.........

That destroyed the integrity before lane conditions, just most people won't except that..............

Really, they didn't think of this when they allowed reactive balls making the game easier for most.........

That destroyed the integrity before lane conditions, just most people won't except that..............

Artificially manipulating individuals performance via making lane conditions easier, is detrimental to the Sport's integrity, however lane conditioning can be used as a tool to combat advances in ball technology by making scoring more difficult. It's a pity participants who have voiced short sighted opposition to tightening scoring have had a louder voice and influenced TBA to back away from stricter regulation of ditches.

Bowling competitions at every level should be "Win" focused not scoring focused and should be graded. Your favourite football team worries not if they scored less this week than last week, as long as they win their match. Whats even more important, is that the fans think the same. Successful modern sport is Fans based, bowling does not even rate at the lowest level because it does nothing to attract fans.
5yo kids play exactly the same game at Birthday Party's as our Pro's, the public (where fans come from) see's no admiral difference between the two extremes, so have no respect for Bowling as a genuine sport. We really are only a recreation, not a sport

Bowling competitions at every level should be "Win" focused not scoring focused and should be graded.

The leagues I participate in accumulate points based on game and series wins. The grading comes through the handicap system. The Nationals and Holt (at least in the restricted) also use a points systems for the teams. So every pin counts (not just the strikes and spares)!

Admittedly, some of the local competitions are based on total pinfall, rather than game wins - but these different forms of competition ensure variety.

Handicap competitions are important for the sport - otherwise your average bowler is not going to be bothered to get some competition experience. Why bother entering if you are going to be outpinned by 50-100 pins each game? Sure, if we had a strong field of contenders then a true grading system might work - earlier on this year, I was the only person in my grade in a local competition.

With all due respect to a lot of the posters on here, there are a multitude of reasons why things aren't how they should be.

I don't mind this for one thing, in that all qualifying scores will be completed on an easier pattern and the masters will be played on a harder pattern without time to bed into the lane surface. This leads me to two things.

One, I would still like to see two separate patterns used, one for restricted averages, restricted events, seniors etc. And one for open players through the championships and Rachuig. Perhaps logistically difficult.

Two, not allowing time for a pattern to bed in, it has been proven over many years, that the pattern laid at the end of 3 weeks is much easier than the one laid at the start. This also falls into line with many current national tournaments, the TBA technical committee has a lot to answer for in this regard by determining which patterns are laid in each centre for ranked events. Quite often they don't match because the lane surface isn't compatible to a pattern or the centre is not suitable.

Throughout time, bowling compared to other sports has been striving to make things or alter things to allow competitors to score higher. There have been aspects of all eras where scoring has been enabled by one aspect or another, just so happens the last couple of decades it has been bowling balls. I don't think there is much hope for oiling companies to ever counter the bowling ball to tighten shots up without making a pattern unplayable. You can see how the pros break down what are technically tough patterns, the balls and their smarts combined override any toughness in the pattern.

I think it is disappointing in one aspect that they have caved but I can see a positive in this as well in that now is a great time to start from scratch. Treat this as ground zero and build up from here in terms of developing and increasing bowlers skills and ability to cope with tougher patterns. Look at avenues for bowlers of all ages to get back to basics, increase knowledge and hopefully change some perspective. The bowlers have had a sook and now have what they want, now its up to them to go and prove it wasn't a mistake. I fully expect this upcoming Nationals to be the highest supported in history.

I fully expect this upcoming Nationals to be the highest supported in history.

I have to agree with you on this, and would only prove a point...
Laying difficult conditions are for the hand of a few at the top.
I certainly don't think spectators want to come to watch 170 games being bowled.
I can't help thinking economics is embedded here in my thoughts, you will get the numbers when conditions are more enjoyable...
Especially when your outlaying lots of money to travel.
There's got to be a medium. Sure make your master more difficult..

The next Soccer World cup, they should allow any team who would like to play just turn up and compete, more entrants makes the Comp better, right ?
Then, award a point for attempted goal and 2 or 3 points for actually scoring, could also make the pitch shorter so it's easier to score. I know, they could make better balls so it's even easier to score points. Next they should play a number of games, say 10 games then cut the field to whoever has the higher number of points, not wins. You could give female teams extra 8 points just for turning up.
Fans will enjoy the excitement of counting points and not being subjected to competition where a winner is decided for each match. It will be much better to wait for points to be tallied and a results sheet to be distributed to see who is winning.
With all the extra points and extra teams and high scoring, along with waiting for results to be published, the event is bound to be more prestigious and bound to attract more fans... good idea ? Soccer will be a declining amateur sport in no time. I can also see many other sports eagerly lining up to change from results based matches to scoring based squads... how exciting

I think it is disappointing in one aspect that they have caved but I can see a positive in this as well in that now is a great time to start from scratch. Treat this as ground zero and build up from here in terms of developing and increasing bowlers skills and ability to cope with tougher patterns. Look at avenues for bowlers of all ages to get back to basics, increase knowledge and hopefully change some perspective. The bowlers have had a sook and now have what they want, now its up to them to go and prove it wasn't a mistake. I fully expect this upcoming Nationals to be the highest supported in history.

Bur that would mean the majority of bowlers actually practising, getting their equipment set up properly and just generally thinking about the game. I think it's too late for most of the adults, the focus has to be on the juniors and youth who are more conditioned to bowling on tougher patterns. The seniors especially are a lost cause.

I will quote you that next week at the briefing Brenton that they are all a lost cause....:)

Back
Top Bottom