2012 VIC 150 & AUSTRALIAN OPEN

Congrats AMP and Ben. What an awesome display of bowling. No matter the ditch u still gotta execute the shot and deliver the ball. I'm thinking about making a come back next year with those scores ;)

Good luck at world cup guys. Ull definitely do Australia proud!

What a birthday present AMP! Another great win xo

Men 217.5 cut, women 205.5 cut and 6 x 300 games. You expect there not to be negative comments?

I love how people like you sit in front of your computer and type cr@p like this! How bout you shoe up and have a bowl, before you start spouting how easy it was!

Yes, there were plenty of high scores, especially on Sunday. But, you know what? The guys that bowled Sunday, are THAT good, and the scores reflected it! If you threw an errant shot, you were punished, you still had to execute, and repeat good shots to score well..

Seriously, How about you grow up.

I have not said anything bad about whoever bowled. The winners deserve it and well done to them. They still had to shoot higher scores than the rest to win. All I said was it would not surprise me if someone made negative comments about the pattern and the high scores. Paul Robinson said something along the same lines.

As for whether or not someone bowled, it is irrelevant. The scores speak for themselves and tell the story of how the pattern played.

if you have a look at the pattern advertised for Geelong and that advertised ofr AO they are slightly different hence the major difference in how they played.

John,

I noticed the slight difference with the pattern but really find it hard to beleive that effectively 1ml of oil is responsible for nearly 70 pins. Even conservatively David Porto averaged 240 at KP and 200 at Geelong. I'm sure there are other examples as well along the list that bowled both tourneys... Maybe it's naive on my behalf but I wouldn't expect that much of a difference.

Please don't take that the wrong way, I applaud everyone that bowled. Ben and David absolutely ripped it apart and are deserving winner and runner up. It would have been even better to be there watching or competing but some things can't be avoided...

I would suggest a lot of you go and google lane tapography. Lane tapes were taken and when they are released i'm 99% certain they'll be pretty damn close to what was advertised. The lane surface at Keon Park is what led to the high scores. Anytime a centre has lanes that allow a lot of friction near the edge it is going to be huge scoring, as the entry angle of the balls is at its greatest, making the area to strike the greatest you will see. Think Cheetah pattern on the PBA and you'll get what i'm saying.

Roysa,

You're right of course - everyone should just kick back and relax - after all it IS only bowling - and with scores like this, who could possibly take the game seriously any more.

Happy Easter.

I would like to congratulate both Ben Coupland and AMP/Susanne on their wins in the AO and Vic 150 - Ben has finally showed what he has always been capable of doing and there are no words in my book to describe AMP and her career.

Well done and good luck to all who have made the Oz teams - may you perform to your potential.

Flower

Roysa,

You're right of course - everyone should just kick back and relax - after all it IS only bowling - and with scores like this, who could possibly take the game seriously any more.

Happy Easter.

Amen.... Trouble is, Steve, about being taken seriously,you and I are both too old to be taken seriously. You can't show to-days bowlers what we have seen. That's nobody's fault, but it validates differing perceptions of the same circumstance. No going back, and, indeed, I'd like ( love ) to be able to take advantage of to-day's conditions / equipment, but my old style / technique won't adapt. I bowled a few 279s and 278s around '60 / '62. I've bowled another handful since around '95. I KNOW the difference, even without being able to take anything like the advantage that modern conditions / equipment is able to offer me. I can't transfer that knowledge ( of the difference ) to anyone else.

What has been said in various ways on this thread ( and others ) is perfectly legit. It still sorts out one bowler from the other, on the day. It still sorts out who can handle and adapt to the circumstances prevailing. It still rewards consistancy, etc., etc., etc. Those who are close to the sport will always see this.

It will, however do less and less, as time goes on, to maintain a view of Tenpin as a legitimate sport, in the perception of the overall community.

If Bowlers want to know what pattern was used it is on the TBA website. The pattern was the WTBA Montreal and when I watched some of the bowlers on Saturday
Some had line changes and also ball changes to find the right line.
Congrats to AMP and Ben for being the most consistent bowlers over the weekend to win the tourney on challenging conditions.
Congrats also to Keon Park bowl for putting on another great tourney and to Sue for keeping us all updated with the scores.
The scores reflected the level of the quality of bowlers who bowl in this country and I hope they all go on to win many more.

Roysa,

Happy Easter.

Steve,

Normally I would agree with you, however on this ocassion I must disagree. The reason being that the World Cup is always played on ultra high scoring conditions and our representatives shouldbe the ones able to best make use of them. it's been my position fopr years when putting down patterns to select our World Cup reps.

Do I want to see this all the time? NO! However in this case, I think the scoring level is appropriate.

One bowler said it was too soft, one bowler said it was too hard, but little Benny Copeland said it was juuuuuuussssttttt right!

Well done to the winners.

As a spectator on the weekend I found the bowling quite boring to watch as it was a strike feast. It appeared that all the bowler had to do was bowl it down the outside and the ball would hit around pocket and the pins would fall over. It reminded me of a 20/20 cricket match.

In defence of CO I don't believe that he has made any negative comments here he was just saying that due to the high scoring there may be some negative comments.

My comment wasnt even directed at this particular thread. And it certainly wasnt meant to be a shot at the credability of the sport of bowling.

My point was that CO seems to want to pick a fight in every thread he comments in, his next post will be asking me to quote him to prove it at which point i wont as i couldnt be bothered but most know and he would admit that he stirs the pot and thats fine. But to me there are much more important things in life than trying to get a rise out of people on a bowling forum.

When something happens in life to someone that is REALLY important then and usually only then do they see how silly some of the comments on here truly are. Maybe its just my perception.

Happy Easter !

Brenton - your point is well made - although I will take issue with your final word - "appropriate". The scoring, in light of what you say - may well have been "relevant" - I'm not sure scoring of this level is ever "appropriate"[more below]. But then I digress into semantics.

Jim - your final sentence is the point here of course...and whilst the players made the very best of the condition [and as Steve Lovell noted wisely in an earlier post] - all they can do is play what is put down........ the issue I have is that putting up conditions like this just undercuts even more what remains of the sports credibility....and Brenton - this to me is of much greater concern than dishing up a pie house over 3 days so it reflects the BWC condition. If it's going to be THAT easy at the BWC whoever at this level wins the right to represent Australia would [my guess] be more than capable of playing it. Why trash the event and the sport over a few days for that end result - it makes little sense to me.

But then Jim is right again - maybe I'm too old to see the forest for the trees.

:roflmao: Only returned to this forum just last week, after years of absence from the site to enter Vic 150, good to see nothing has changed! ;)

Just out of interest what scoring range makes the sport credible?

I don't follow golf forums but for anyone who does. Do they question the credibility of the sport when the winner shoots 20 under or do they just congratulate the winner who beat the field that all played on the same course?

I think Chris and a couple of others touched on it the pattern suited the lane surface and nearly everyone found it. Put the same thing down at tuggeranong and it wouldn't be near as much fun. These things happen, to me the lanes and the patterns are a means to an end to find the best on it over the weekend...seems it worked out that way?

the issue I have is that putting up conditions like this just undercuts even more what remains of the sports credibility...

Unfortunately I can't see how putting up a 24ml pattern at 41ft in length with a 3:1 on the right and a 4:1 on the left affects the credibility of the sport... Bowling on 11:1 patterns for national ranking points hurts more than this... What would you like to see... A flat wall of oil from edge to edge down to 50ft??? At some stage along the way irrespective of available equipment bowlers will learn to bowl on these patterns, some better than others... Some nowadays even have the ability to repeat shots and hit a target. Aren't the professionals on the P.B.A doing the same thing to the patterns over there... with the same equipment we have at our disposal.

I have asked another question in another thread mid last year about the effects of certain patterns on certain lanes... Now I pose it again... If the AO was bowled on the 44ft pattern that was laid for the MTC and the MTC bowled on the 41ft AO pattern how would the scoring pattern have been? I think patterns are suited to lanes for a fairer scoring pace instead of the high numbers at the AO and moderately low by comparison numbers at the MTC...

As CT mentioned earlier, lane topography plays a big part in how they play and score which I think needs to be taken into account before deciding on patterns for tournaments...

Flamesuit on...

Back
Top Bottom