Your Ultimate Tassie Rachuig Team

Playa

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
Pretty quiet in the tassie forum as of late so it's time to get some discussion going.

Who would you choose in your Dream Tassie Team

Bearing in mind everyone that you choose is at their absolute best, personalty aside.

Ash Riley
Matt Riley
Alan Coleman
Danny Corbett
Paul Lucock
Tony Guinta
Rodney Radcliffe

Pam Pope
Debbie Riley
Carol Steele
Ruth Guerster (Not here for long but was a Tassie resident at one stage)
Rebecca Salter

I'm not really up to scratch on my womens bowling history. Maybe someone else can add a few more names.

Im not going to name a team, because I do not have enough knowledge of bowlers from pre mid 90s. Having said that of the teams I have been involved in there are 3 standouts;

Ash Riley - Amazing under pressure and motivates and inspires his team
Matt Riley - Unstoppable when on a roll, and got on a roll very regularly, pressure didnt faze him at all either.
Garry Crick - Mr dependable, Mr Consistent ... whatever you want to call him, he just keeps producing and nothing fazes him.

Bit of a theme there I think ..... all 3 either thrive on pressure or dont let it effect there performance, easier said than done, but obviously an important part of being successful!

Pretty quiet in the tassie forum as of late so it's time to get some discussion going.
Who would you choose in your Dream Tassie Team
Bearing in mind everyone that you choose is at their absolute best, personalty aside.

Hello young Christopher...

Interesting topic - albeit not much response! In the spirit of getting some "discussion" going, my opinion is if you are going to pick a dream TEAM from Tassie's past and current bowlers, it is somewhat necessary to dwell on personalities. Rachuig is just that, a team event, and therefore whether we like it or not, your best team would have be made up of those that have proven themselves in this environment as team players. This is in no way a criticism of your chosen team by the way, just an observation on your selection criteria.

As far as a TEAM is concerned:

Ashley Riley - record speaks for itself

Matt Riley - watched him as a kid, was a gun, even better now.

Alan Coleman - knows how to fire a team up like no other and when he got on a roll - see ya!

Rodney Radcliffe - this guy could flat out bowl, he gave it everything. I remember him bending a urethane like Androoo does a reactive, back in the 80's, we were awestruck as juniors :eek::D

Alex Peshti - Anyone from here that could regularly go away and average 185+ on the mainland in big events back in that 60's era could bowl.
Can remember a little bit of him, one of the most accurate players I've ever seen.
The story about him was people wouldn't enter events down here back in the day if his name was on the squad list, such was the esteem he was held in.

Garry Crick with that sensational 'Garry-Carry' - 400-odd games in Rachuig speaks volumes.

In the womens definitely Carol Steele (nee Robins), that stare could frighten the **** out of anyone :surrender: haha!
She got the job done - no messing about. LOTS of Rachuigs.

Ruth Guerster was living here from about '86-'88 when she ran Mornington and was a feared competitor, she'd given the men a bloody good run for their money many times as well. Absolutely fearless and great competitor.

Pam Pope - little 10lb ball straight up the guts but always did a terrific job.
Shot a 296 in the Australian Championships (Masters wasn't it?).

That's just a few of my thoughts for now.

PS: The famous Laetare Gardens, venue for many a great bowling dinner, and venue for a number of ATBC/TBA Nationals and President's Shield Dinners (the most recent being the Rachuig and De Veer Dinners in 2006) is to be sold and will close down in April 2009 and will be demolished after being established for 61 years. :(

Back
Top Bottom