What Bowling rituals do you have

Not so much "immediately" before i bowl, but generally I dont eat anything except a bit of toast or something lite, for 2-3 days before an event. So i dont get Gout mid tournament. Normally takes 2 days for an attack so i can eat while im there. Just dont like to eat much before.

I also find that when im rushing my approach if i take a slow inhale and exhale before i set off i seem to hold my balance better.

I guess the only real ritual i have is wrapping my small yellow microfibre towel around my bottle of water before i start. So i know its mine haha. :D

I wipe the heel of my left shoe (slide foot) just before I step up onto the approach. Also, not just related to bowling but i always put my left shoe on before my right one.

I wipe the botom of my shoe, and blow in the thumb hole.

I just read that and it doesn't sound good....

I have the tendency when i stand up on the approach to slide my left foot (sliding leg) on the approach 2 or 3 times in my setup stance to make sure i will slide at the foul line.

Oh and another one, i will put my hand out above the air vent even when its not working.... *you know you do it to* :)

I used to take a toy magic lamp with me to any of my matches. It was given to me as a "Tool of the Day award" at the Southern University Games in 2011. I would rub the lamp before every ball for good luck.

It got (allegedly) stolen in November last year. So now my new good luck charm is a little toy antelope (long story), which I carry on me whenever I'm bowling.

I pick my ball up , blow in my thumbhole before I grip and take to the approach. Also have a cappacino when I bowl.

I have some weird rituals..

Unpacking
1 x bottle of Gatorade, preferably orange
place folded towel on the back of the lane (usually above the house ball rack), place my powder ball next to towel, phone next to powder ball.
put shoes on, then unpack balls. Defiant Edge first, then Columbia 300 Ransom.

To Bowl
wipe ball down with folded towel, place towel on scoring mechanism.
I always line up my approach with my right foot (I am right handed)
Tap my index finger on the ball when ready to bowl, deep breath and then bowl.

Weird I know.

Not that wierd. Rituals, particularly on or prior to getting on the approach promote consistency and concentration.

Doing things like wiping my shoe, blowing in the hole, wiping the ball helps me slow down and stops me from rushing my shots.

I always put my thumb in the hole and twist it around first. Then I take it out and put my fingers in and then my thumb. Thing is, I don't know what purpose it serves.

Bigsy...

It's been so long since I've had a good game, my ritual will probably be whatever I did leading up to my next good game.. :D

Optimistically imagine that this week, I WILL throw it well, despite bowling about 3 games a week (in a cold storage facility) at present. Go home a bit disappointed, repeat...

I once typed out my pre-shot routine for a friend. Here it is from 2011...

Here’s a précis of my pre-shot routine as promised… A lot of this happens simultaneously, as you can imagine.

It’s interesting to over this stuff occasionally. I definitely don’t “think” about a lot of it consciously.

1. Maintain hydration and energy levels – i.e. eat and drink as required.
2. Observe what’s happening on the pair
a. Based on pattern breakdown behaviour
b. Or if lucky enough to have a player I can get a read off, their reaction
3. Sort line out (feet, target – x & y distances, breakpoint and target point at pin deck) based on previous shot and watching team mates reaction
4. Commit to strategy
5. Wipe ball clean
6. Dry hand with blower and/or rosin
7. Breathe
8. Step up and line up, being careful to set/adjust distance from foul line and align heels correctly (left -right angles - heels set hips, which set shoulders etc...)
9. Set my hand position
10. Set my pushaway height for speed adjustment if required
11. Observe my required pushaway angle to create a favourable swing
12. Observe target line and projection point beyond breakpoint
13. Commit to follow through the breakpoint to the deck (or often off to the right of it)
14. Set shoulder down
15. Set head above ball
16. Allow my eyes to return to the target
17. Consciously breathe to relieve any torso tension and minimise adrenaline effects
18. Visualise what my stance will be like at the foul line
19. Visualise what the ball will feel like coming off my hand to create the desired reaction
a. and what body adjustments may be required to accommodate it. (Say when going coast to coast with high rotation and revolutions.)
20. Wait until target is in sharp focus
21. Walk into the visualised finishing position with that release feeling and follow through the breakpoint.
22. Hopefully pull it all off. (Mentally give myself a pat on the back if I did!)
a. Confirm results, adjust accordingly and predict any moves if required.
23. GOTO 1

Hmmm... Interesting to go back over that!

Back
Top Bottom