Walsh wins 2007 Caboolture Open

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Australian Men’s Captain Jason Walsh of Ballina NNSW battled, persevered and conquered, and when the final ball was thrown at the 2007 Caboolture Open, Walsh took home the top prize and would become the winner of the 20th Caoolture Open .

A huge crowd saw Walsh fire a 300 in both the Qualifying and Match Play Rounds, which EARNT him a bonus Cheque and a half price entry into the next Tour stop…

Walsh thanked his beautiful wife Michelle for putting up with him “I’ve been a little tough to live with over the last few weeks” Walsh said…

Seventy of Queensland’s and New South Wales elite bowlers converged on Caboolture Ten Pin Bowl on the weekend to compete in the 2007 Caboolture Open.

Day 1 qualifying;
A squad started off with Leon Reggars of Aspley showing the way…Throwing a prefect game 300 in just game 2 of qualifying… the local Brendan Meads was well on his way to leading the event after the first 10 games of qualifying with 2364 and a tournament high game of 285. Mount Gravatt bowler Terry Wenban and Local bowler Gerry Cox both had 299’s respectively in game 8 of qualifying…Terry leaving a solid 4 pin and Gerry leaving a self proclaimed unlucky 7 pin…other high games from stage 1 A squad were Andrew Drew 289…Brad Reggars 280…and young local bowler Casey Midgley 279…

Jason Walsh was in the second squad and not just content with making up the numbers in this event; he started strongly with a 511 block, and showed the dominant force that has earned him the title as Australia’s number one bowler for 2006. With a perfect game of 300 in game 5 of qualifying and a stunning string of 221, 222, 235, 263, 280, catapulted Walsh to the lead after a 10 Game Total of 2417 and a 241.70 Average for day 1. Sunshine Coasts Brandon Qualischefski also shot a perfect game of 300 in game 6 to stay in contention with the leaders…

Of the Ladies after day 1 Brisbane’s Kate Wilton was leading the Gold Coasts Kellie Hart and Jenny Walsh of Ballina was third…Kate had a high game of 247, Kellie 256 and Jenny 236…

Day 2 qualifying;
Sunday morning was like a 6 game shoot out to make the top 15…Local bowler Brendan Meads came out of the blocks with 267,240,216,258,182,235 to secure the top Spot for the finals, while Caboolture bowler Andrew Christopher +540 shooting the 4th perfect game of the tournament on route to the finals was second, Terry Wenban +526 of Mount Gravatt the clear mover in the field rounded out the top three for the finals… followed closely by, Carl Bottomley+521, Frilingos continued to dominate the left hand side of the lanes at, +511, Overnight leader Jason Walsh+476 took a while to find his feet and slipped to 6th, Andrew Drew+473, Brandon Qualischefski+407, Lawrie Hill +373, Brad Reggars+352, Brent Murray shooting a near flawless game of 290 to make the finals at+335, Cameron Walsh +305, Mark Sheehan +285, Damien McAndrew +266 and Luke Green rounded out the top 15 at +259 and completed the finalists for the afternoons play. Missed cut were Brian Looby +255, Darryl Alford +229, Tony Hamilton +227 and Cameron Fadl +226…

Kate Wilton won the highest placed female on +222 Jenny Walsh +82 was second and Kellie Hart +70 was third…

Finals
The top 15 competed in a 3 person match play final over 7 games. The winner receiving a bonus 50 and second places a bonus of 25. Walsh started slowly loosing his first match with 205 and receiving no bonus…Game 2 of match play and Walsh showed the field and huge crowd that he was down but not out…Walsh shot his second perfect game of the tournament and the 22nd of his career and moved quickly into 3rd place and in hot pursuit of the title… Meads with a win and a second was holding onto first place from the fast finishing Bottomley and Walsh…Experience soon prevailed and Bottomley hit the front with Walsh hot on his heals…Game 6 saw both Bottomley and Walsh shoot games of 278 and 279 respectively to open up a 80 + pin lead over Meads and finally show that they were the two to beat…The title was to come down to the last match Bottomley held a 22 pin lead over Walsh…Both knowing that a second place finish in this game was enough to win the 2007 Open…Bottomley was unlucky not to throw a double in the last match to throw a Dutch 200 whilst Walsh started double spare double to take an early lead in the match. Walsh split the 8th frame and opened the door for Bottomley but once again Bottomley struggled to take advantage and never really pressured Walsh who went on to take the title with a game score of 224 to Bottomley 200…Frilingos shot 257 and took the 50 bonus to finish 5th… Brandon Qualischefski shot the tournaments 6th and last 300 and his second for the event to jump into 4th place in the last game of Match Play… Brendan Meads after leading qualifying finished third…

Walsh averaged 233.87 for his 23 games and compiled a 4-2-1 won- second-lost record in the 3 person match play and averaged 243.29 in the Match Play to finish with a 5629 pinfall total. Bottomley averaged 232.70 and also went 4-2-1 in match play to secure the second place with 5602 for his 23 game totals. Brendan Meads averaged 229.17 and finished 56 pins behind Bottomley in third place due to his 3-3-1 record in Match Play and a 5544 pinfall total for his 23 games…Luke Green rounded out the top 15 for the Tournament…

Brian Bates and Caboolture bowl held and outstanding event and it was great to see the crowds coming back to the centers…Well done to Batsey and his head tech and staff who ran a successful event…See you all in 2008…

1183965602.jpg

1183965564.jpg

1183965635.jpg

Congratulations to all who bowled in this weekends event - from a spectators point of view it was great to watch, especially the last match which ultimately decided who was going to win!

This was the first of the Wide Bay circuit that we participated in/watched, and I have to say that we were greatly impressed in the sportsmanship that we witnessed over the weekend - it is refreshing to see a SCRATCH event where the entrants were actually enjoying themselves whilst still doing what it took to get the results! We look forward to having a go in Gympie, and becoming a regular part of the tour when our interstate committments finish at the end of this year.

:salute: :groupwave:

Gotta say a big thanks to Caboolture Bowl, the sponsors and of course Jase & Kellie for all their tireless work with the scores and making sure everyone was happy. This was the first one I've had a chance to bowl in, while I didn't throw the ball well I had a great time none the less.

Thanks again to all involved and I'm sure to be there again next year.

Congrats to Jason on winning the cup, extremly well bowled. It was great to watch you bowl, so smooth it's awesome, the new Cherry Vibe, gave a new meaning to the phrase, nothing hit's harder than a hammer.

Also thanks to Kellie and Jason for all the hard work behind the scene's with the scores.

Well the weekend was great, to see so many 300 thrown and alot of other high games thrown was just awesome.

I am sure everyone enjoyed themselves this weekend.

Well done to Jason on his win, you proved that no matter where you are sitting before match play, if you want the win bad enough you can get it. You put on such a great display of bowling for the crowd and I am sure they loved watching every minute of it.

Well done also to Carl on finishing second and Brendan for finishing third.

Thanks to Brian and Nathan and all the staff at Caboolture Bowl, also a big thanks to TotalBowling for giving away $100 to each 300 shooters for the weekend, not to mention the half spots for both Jaon and Brando for shooting 2 300's each.

Look forward to the next one.

Congratulations to Jason Walsh, Carl and Brendan on an excellent result.

Also, and on behalf of the board of TBAQ, congratulations to Total Bowling on the success of this circuit.

JP has worked hard at this and fully deserves the praise and thanks of all Queensland Bowlers. He has put a great deal of time, effort and cash into these events.

Best of all, he not only sponsors this circuit he also sponsors other Queenslanders in Queensland State and Regional teams.

Our Rachuig team will carry the Total Bowling emblem into this years Nationals as does the Gold Coast team in the Qld Association Challenge.

So from all of us here at TBAQ, well done Jason Pearson and thank you for all you are doing for Queensland bowling.

Gotta say a big thanks to Caboolture Bowl, the sponsors and of course Jase & Kellie for all their tireless work with the scores and making sure everyone was happy. This was the first one I've had a chance to bowl in, while I didn't throw the ball well I had a great time none the less.

Thanks again to all involved and I'm sure to be there again next year.

My apologies, In my above post I forgot to congratulate the winners. Well done to Jason Walsh for winning, to Carl for finishing second and pushing Jason so hard and to Brendan Meads for finishing 3rd.

You all bowled very well all weekend and certainly deserve your places on the winners podium.

Also congratulations to those that shot 300's and 299's over the weekend and a special congrats to Brando & Jason Walsh for shooting 2.

Thanks again to Batesy and the staff at Caboolture for making things run so smooth with the conditions & the lanes and to Jase & Kell for all their behind the scenes work. I cant imagine how tough it is to bowl and to update scores. I'm sure Hammo thanks you and I know his wife Kim does :D :D :D

Thanks to all involved in the Caboolture Open, it was my first time at the Wide Bay Circuit and I had a heap of fun. I'll be back. Thanks to my partner for the weekend too, Mark Sheehan, and congrats on your finish mate.

Congratulations to all the winners, the high game shooters and the top 15.

And no, Hammer, I wont photoshop your head into the top 15.

Thanks Jase ... well done. I can see what everyone has been raving about now.

Cheers

Marto.

I would just like to say how well written the tournament script was for the Caboolture OPen - we have an excellent bowling reporter with JP - I really enjoyed reading about the tournament which because of work commitments I could not attend. Thank you for this service it is much better than just getting the results. Congratulations to all place getters and those who threw their hat in for more tournament experience and also the sponsors, promoters and Bowling centre it sounded like a fantastic place to be.

Gail Torrens

As a regular bowler of the Total Bowling Circuit I would just like to thank Kellie and Jason for their kind donation of $100 to the bowlers who shot 300 during the tournament. :smiley.php:

If it wasn't for your tireless efforts the Circuit wouldn't be as good as it is.

Well done to Jason Walsh on your win, Carl Bottomley for coming 2nd and Brendan Meads for coming 3rd.

It was indeed a weekend of some great bowling. Look forward to the stop at Gympie.

Leon Reggars :fishing:

IT'S ABOUT TIME THEY GET AWAY THE BLOCKED LANES BOWLING NOT BOWLING ANY MORE GOT TO MAKE THE LANE CONDITIONS HARDER

Back
Top Bottom