Understanding 2 handed bowling - USBC article

It is a good read and some of the people who bag this type of delivery would do well to read it and find out the mechanics involved. I have attempted this type of delivery and the results were..... ummm....... less than impressive. It is a difficult skill to master and the physical strain on the spine is substantial due to the degree of torque required to complete the swing.

A very handy coaching resource.

Interesting that the USBC seem to regard all thumbless bowling as part of two handed bowling. I bowl thumbless and definitely NOT two handed.
Also, people should be aware that Australia lives under the WTBA rules via the TBA, not the USBC rules. There are some specific (and to most bowlers minor) differences in rules and apparently interpretations. Differences include the specific wording of the location of an unused thumb hole in a bowling ball. USBC rule says that the thumb hole should be covered by the palm, whereas TBA now says that it must be covered by the thumb.
Also of interest is the drilling of extra finger holes. TBA makes no reference to whether they should be covered or not, but the USBC states clearly that they must not only be shown that they could be used, however, if they are unused, then they must be covered.
Sumo

"Bowling This Month" magazine has an excellent article by Joe Slowinski which breaks the technique down into its component parts and is a very good read if you can get hold of it.

Interesting that the USBC seem to regard all thumbless bowling as part of two handed bowling. I bowl thumbless and definitely NOT two handed.
True. Mike Miller never used a second hand beyond the pushaway and had the most effortless thumbless delivery I've ever seen.

Come to think of it, why is bowling without using a thumb considered unusual? People have been and still are bowling without using their fingers all over the place! ;)

True. Mike Miller never used a second hand beyond the pushaway and had the most effortless thumbless delivery I've ever seen.

He also suffered career ending (or shortening) shoulder and elbow injuries if my memory serve me correctly. I will stand corrected if that is not the case, but I would think the 2 handed technique would alleviate those types of problems. There are a lot more 2 handers around now than there ever was for 1 handed no thumbers, at least in my observation.

Well, I might as well tell you guys a story that will lead to my question...

When I first started bowling in my early teens (was 13 at the time), I was a two hander because I was given a used 16lbs ball to start with and couldn't handle the weight with one hand. However this crusty old coach (he was in his late 60's or 70's) told me that it's wrong to deliver a ball in that manner and it made me feel like a freak because everyone else were using one hand. Now, I see bowlers like Osku Palermaa and Jason Belmonte winning big tournaments and it gets me thinking about reverting to my previous two-handed style.

So, I wonder if it's detrimental to switch from the one-handed style back to the two-handed delivery? Also, would be there any coaches willing to teach the two-handed delivery?

Well, I might as well tell you guys a story that will lead to my question...

When I first started bowling in my early teens (was 13 at the time), I was a two hander because I was given a used 16lbs ball to start with and couldn't handle the weight with one hand. However this crusty old coach (he was in his late 60's or 70's) told me that it's wrong to deliver a ball in that manner and it made me feel like a freak because everyone else were using one hand. Now, I see bowlers like Osku Palermaa and Jason Belmonte winning big tournaments and it gets me thinking about reverting to my previous two-handed style.

So, I wonder if it's detrimental to switch from the one-handed style back to the two-handed delivery? Also, would be there any coaches willing to teach the two-handed delivery?

I see no reason for it to be detrimental, Just because someone does it differently, It shouldn't be called freakish.

I am 63 years old, and have just started fooling around with a 2 handed style. I really LOVE it very much. Bowling has ceased to be fun for me over the last couple of years, and I now believe the 2 handed style will bring the FUN back into bowling for me once again......

I have posted this for everyone to see as people are saying that if you have a thumb hole in the ball it does not need to be coverd when bowling two handed so I had John Coxan send me a E-mail to confim that under TBA Rules you do have to cover the thumb hole when bowling two handed. But you can drill a ball without the thumb hole.

The following limitations will govern the drilling of holes in the ball:
1. Holes or indentations, not to exceed five (5), for gripping purposes.
2. One hole for balance purposes not to exceed 1 1/4 inch in diameter.
3. No more than one (1) vent hole to each finger and/or thumb hole not to exceed 1/4 inch in diameter.
4. One mill hole for inspection purposes not to exceed 5/8 inch in diameter and 1/8 inch in depth.
Any hole drilled for gripping purposes will not be deemed to be a balance hole. However, when delivering a
ball that has a thumb hole drilled, the player must have his/her thumb in or over the thumb hole. It may not be
180 degrees away from the thumb hole. If a bowler delivers a ball and did not have his/her thumb as defined,
the ball will be deemed illegal for that delivery and pins knocked down with that delivery will not be counted.
Balance
The following tolerances will be permissible in the balance of a bowling ball used in accredited competition:
Refer to Rule 127 for the penalty for bowling with a ball that is found to be illegal.
1. 10 pounds or more:
(a) Not more than three (3) ounces difference between top half of the ball (finger hole side) and the
bottom half (side opposite the finger holes).
(b) Not more than one (1) ounce difference between the sides to the right and left of the finger holes
or between the sides in front and back of the finger holes.
(c) A ball drilled without a thumb hole may not have more than one (1) ounce difference between
any two halves of the ball.
(d) A ball drilled without any finger holes or indentations may not have more than one (1) ounce
difference between any two halves of the ball.
(e) A ball used without any hole or indentations may not have more than one (1) ounce difference
between any two halves of the ball.
2. Less than 10 pounds:
(a) Not more than one (1) ounce differences between the top half of the ball (finger hole side) and
the bottom half (side opposite the finger holes).
(b) Not more than 3/4 ounce difference between the sides to the right and left of the finger holes or
between the sides in front and back of the finger holes.
(c) A ball drilled without a thumb hole may not have more than 3/4 ounce difference between any
two halves of the ball.
(d) A ball drilled without any finger holes or indentations may not have more than 3/4 ounce
difference between any two halves of the ball.
(e) A ball used without any hole or indentations may not have more than 3/4 ounce difference
between any two halves of the ball.

Kind Regards,
John Coxon
Chairman & Director - Tenpin Bowling Australia Ltd
PO Box 492
PORT PIRIE SA 5540
Tel: 08 8633 0699, Fax: 08 8633 1234, Mobile: 0417 879 368
TBA Website: www.tenpin.org.au, Email: [email protected]

I hope this is clear to all bowlers that are going to the two handed style and thanks to John Coxan for getting back to me asap.
Thanks
Mark Lawton

From my understanding that is OK. I pretty sure Osku shoots one handed spares after a 2 handed first shot.

thanks nathan, the main thing ive found about deliverering the ball is, that any ball delivered from the right hand side of the body will be deemed as a right handed delivery, so thats what i was going off.

richard

Back
Top Bottom