Tommy Jones defends his Japan Cup title

Ash

I can't think of a title.
From www.pba.com, for those like myself who follow the PBA tour....

Tom Terrific
Tokyo - September 25, 2005

Tommy Jones showed that his four PBA Tour victories last season were no fluke, as he defeated Norm Duke in the title match of the Dydo Japan Cup 2005, 222-215, successfully defending his title Sunday at the Tokyo Metro Gymnasium.

Unlike the 2004 Japan Cup, when Jones bowled just two matches for the crown, the 26 year old entered this year’s final round seeded 5th and won five matches to earn the $50,000 top prize and his 5th career Tour title.

“Right now, it’s hard to soak in. It was a long road with lots of matches,” said Jones, who converted three multi-pin spares and struck seven times against Duke, the top seed. “I’m definitely a little tired, more mentally than physically.”

Jones converted the 3-4-5 spare in the 8th before Duke, who won $25,000, struck in the 9th to keep things close. Jones clinched the win, however, with a strike and seven pins in the 10th frame.

Jones, who appeared in the Japan Cup title match for the third straight year, defeated three-time titlist Patrick Healey Jr., Flower Mound, Texas, in the semifinal, 201-180. Prior to that he dispatched the 2005 PBA Player of the Year Patrick Allen, Tarrytown, N.Y., 218-169 and the 2003 PBA Rookie of the Year Brad Angelo, Lockport, N.Y., 191-166.

Jones, Mauldin, S.C., started his day with a 248-204 win over Korea’s Park Jong Soo in the first stepladder match.

Sunday’s final round began with Soo winning a four-bowler shootout. Soo shot 244 and defeated Parker Bohn III,
Jackson, N.J., who shot 214, Robert Smith, Thousand Oaks, Calif., who shot 196 and Wes Malott, Austin, Texas, who shot 182.

The 2005-06 PBA Tour regular season begins with the 2005 PBA Tulsa Championship, Oct. 26-30, with the arena finals to be held at the Donald W. Reynolds Center in Tulsa, Okla., on the University of Tulsa campus.

Notes:

The win does not give not Jones an exemption for the 2006-07 PBA Tour season. The Japan Cup is an invitational event and does not count towards the 2005-06 PBA World Point Rankings.

Over 3,000 fans packed the Tokyo Metro Gymnasium to watch the historical final rounds. This was the first arena finals event the JPBA has ever produced.

Jones was asked if Parker Bohn III needed to worry about someone breaking his record of four Japan Cup titles. “I have a feeling Parker’s record is pretty safe. I think the guys will be gunning for me next year,” Jones said.

Malott had a slow start in the shootout match, fouling in the 2nd frame and failing to mark until the 5th frame, when he tossed a strike. In response to the strike, Malott turned a playfully bowed to the crowed while a few of the PBA Tour pros gave him a standing ovation from the front rows.

What's in the bag
Lane conditions change from game to game, especially in a televised arena finals setting. Throughout his five games, Jones was primarily using Ebonite's V2 Power and the Crossfire bowling balls.

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

Pos. Name, hometown Total/Games Money
1. Tommy Jones, Mauldin, S.C. 1,080 (5 games) $50,000
2. Norm Duke, Clermont, Fla. 215 (1 game) $25,000
3. Patrick Healey Jr., Flower Mound, Texas 180 (1 game) $12,000
4. Patrick Allen, Tarrytown, N.Y. 169 (1 game) $7,000
5. Brad Angelo, Lockport, N.Y. 166 (1 game) $6,000
6. Park Jong Soo, Korea 428 (2 games) $5,000
7. Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J. 214 (1 game) $4,600
8. Robert Smith, Thousand Oaks, Calif. 196 (1 game) $4,200
9. Wes Malott, Austin, Texas 182 (1 game) $3,800

It's great to see TJ carrying on his success from last season. He'll be one to watch this year.

Ash said:
Jones converted the 3-4-5 spare in the 8th before Duke, who won $25,000, struck in the 9th to keep things close. Jones clinched the win, however, with a strike and seven pins in the 10th frame.

The 3-4-5?? That can't be right? Surely...
Anyways, Sad to see the Duke lose. But TJ is proving to be one of the young bowlers out on the tour.

Later Da Cowman!

Back
Top Bottom