The one the only Mr Carl Bottomley

Jase

Admin
Staff member
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

CB My parents and brother were into the sport and I was always at a bowling centre so it was a natural progression.

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

CB Wouldn't have a clue as I was only 3, but I can't imagine it would have been more than 20 or 30. No bumpers back then.

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

CB Probably had some clue I could play when I was 12 and attended my first real junior tournament and ran second to Warren Stewart.

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were?

CB A bit of both really. I worked really hard at the game but it didn't seem like work as I enjoyed just bowling so practice was fun. That said I don’t know if I worked hard enough to receive the results I have achieved.

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

CB The Gold Coast Junior Masters when I think I was about 10 or 11.

TB
Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

CB I can't say I do. It's really different now. It's not that pure joy of winning for the first time but it still gives a great feeling of self satisfaction and achievement.

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

CB Not so much as it used to. I always used to feel everyone had their eyes on me but these days there are plenty of others to watch. The younger guys today are awesome and they are far more exciting with what they can do to the pins. I find more that a name affects other opponents more than me. You always get the people who are worried about playing you which I find strange as anything can happen in a game.

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

CB I doubt it as I'm not an accredited coach or feel I know enough about the game to assist others. I see what I see from people from watching them over and over but I don't know enough about the basics to start someone from scratch. I'm always happy to help anyone who asks though for me to take a look at them and see if I have any suggestions.

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

CB Definitely the SA Cup. I don't know why but I always felt the Melbourne Cup and the SA Cup had the most prestige with them of any event. Even though they may not have had the money or profile of the South Pacific or the Koolfoam in it's day they were always the ones that seemed special to me and I've now won the Melbourne Cup so it is definitely the SA Cup.

TB
Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

CB Not at all. I feel I'm past my best but still just love the game and will continue to compete within Australia while I feel I can still be competitive and enjoy what I am doing.

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

CB I'm not sure they have the technology to shrink me down that far

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with.

CB Jason Walsh or Terry Wenban. If I bowled with Terry it would feel like I was in a time machine back 15 years and as for Jason I respect him both as a bowler and a person and am also in awe of what he can do with a ball so I'd rather have him on my side than against me.

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

CB I'm assuming that this is a bit of a gee up question however I'll be careful to watch my back on Thursday nights with Graeme and yourself if that’s how you feel.

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

CB
Rich. Chose the wrong sport for that but I wasn't bad at cricket and would have liked to pursue that further.

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

CB Play some golf, follow the horses and spend time with the kids. (Both fun and frustrating the last one)

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

CB It's a great game if you just enjoy it. If you work hard you can pretty much make it pay for itself which is great. While it won’t make you rich there are still a lot of sports worse off than us where they don’t compete for any prize money. Also it allows us to compete all year without being too affected by weather and with handicapping it allows everyone the opportunity to compete somewhat evenly.

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

CB Every single second. Even with all the frustration when things aren't going well. I've realised that the best way to play this game is to always remember why you do it which is for fun and then even the most difficult days become easier.

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date?

CB Probably the FIQ medals I have won. When I won them it all seemed too easy and I don't think I appreciated at the time just what they meant but now they mean the earth to me. Especially the World masters title I won when I doubled in the last frame to win which will always be special.

TB Boxes or briefs or free for all...

CB I'd love to say free for all as I keep thinking of Jerry and Kramer when the "only thing between them and me is a thin layer of gabardine", but I'd have to say boxers. Of course if you need proof we can compare
on Thursday night.

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

CB My parents obviously at the beginning as they funded the equipment and trips and were prepared to put in the travel etc. Know it’s my family and my insides just still wanting to compete and be competitive and the fact I love the travel and don’t want to give that up just yet.

Back
Top Bottom