Ten Pin Bowling ( 4 Step Approach)

Jamie Bell

Hi everyone I am from Scotland , and I have visited my uncle in Perth Australia before. The main reason for signing up to the forum is because bowling though.

I am looking for advice, I have bowled since I was 17 and I am now 35. I realise when I bowl my feet drift anywhere between 5 to 7 boards. I have recorded my self on my mobile phone and I realise the problem occurs on my 2nd last step, the foot actually twists to point diagonal rather than pointing straight ahead when I am bowling i dont feel i am doing it though but video doesn't lie.

Any advice or feedback, appreciated Jamie

That's normal for a hooking dry lane but if it's not hooking and the lanes aren't dry than you have a problem.
The easiest way to correct is with the old Dick Ritger Drills, especially the last step and release, so if you can find a level 1 coach or better they should know the Drill.

willey

Hi thank you for replying to the message. I play between arrow 1 and 2 what I tend to find is if the lanes are not heavy oiled I will score high, I try to model my game on Norm Duke. I would love to be able to hook a ball for fun but unfortunatly i don't know how. I am strong player when its comes to hitting my mark and being consistent but i just feel i need to add another dimension to my game. I am averaging anyway where between 180 -200 but i want to be able to take my game up a level so that i can average 220 without it being a one off.

It would be easier to give some advice if you posted your video. Drift is not always a problem provided you drift the same amount and direction each time and during which steps. Your step structure should be the same as walking a tight rope or as many say...walk like a supermodel. This allows the swing to drop inside the shoulder putting you in a stronger release positon. A diagonal foot angle is not uncommon and several pro's have this in their game. As Willey suggested, seek out a TBA/USBC certified coach.

any feedback appreciated, in Scotland their is limited amount of coaches so I am doing going down route coaching myself but doing researchmyself also watching the Pros and also looking at my own game in comparison and trying to make adjustments to be better.

Okay I seen the video, you step away on the last step, why your foot is often pointing at the wall is caused by the Worst Modern invention of Tenpin Bowling the Synthetic Approach, you are not sliding but hopping on the last step. Whilst not totally your fault you do not have your Centre of balance right because you step away when you bring your arm through, from the video agle your arm looks like it comes straight back and straight through, which keeps you more accurate
You bowl too fast to hook the ball so you need to slow down, does the scorer track your speed like some do. I presume you have your own ball

thanks for the reply yes in my centre it tracks my ball speed, yeah i have my own bowling balls. You suggest i try and slow down would you suggest anything so that i slide opposed to hop at the end. thanks again Jamie

The way you bowl would be hard to change without a Coach, you cannot change on your own unless you can get hold of some Drills to practice. As far as the approach slide, maybe a Brunswick slide stick or a Sock to put over your shoe but not any old sock they do make a cover for the shoe much like a shoe protector you may use when walking around the Centre when not bowling.

It is interesting insight, i generally don't like to slide but i would put that down to not being used to it. I have had closer look at the video as been focused on that I am not wandering but I see I am hoping so I would believe then at time that puts me of balance is this common with synthetic approaches. I find rare now that you find a bowling centre which is just traditional wooden lanes which I prefer as people who don't bowl would associate bowling with wooden lanes rather than synthetic approaches. I have now ordered a shoe slider, so when it comes next week hit the lanes and practice with it and with sliding foot i know if i dont want end flat on my face :) i will need to slow down. I will video up later next week and see if their is any improvements.

Back
Top Bottom