Track Temper

P

pinkycat

Cat's review of the Track Temper.

This is my first Track ball, and I've got to say I'm extremely impressed with it. We were fortunate enough to have the Columbia 300/Track ball testing circus roll through Perth last weekend, (big thankyou to Matt and Mitch at OPS Bowling Supplies) and the new Track gear certainly proved to be the biggest talking point. All of the test balls were drilled pin over, CG and MB kicked out to the side, resulting in a late, very angular break point. On such a strong ball, this lead to a bit of over/under reaction once the lanes began to break down.

Unlike the test gear, I chose one of my favourite asymmetric layouts for my Temper; pin to PAP 4 1/2" MB to PAP 3 2/3" (PAP is 5 across by 3/8 up). With this layout, I ended up with a very small weight hole in the thumb quadrant to remove around .3oz of side weight. Basically, I was looking to get the ball rolling a little earlier and to see if I could smooth out the transition off the late midlane into the backend; decreasing the likelihood of any over/under reaction.

What I got. Obviously the big danger with this drilling was that the ball could roll out. Thankfully that didn't happen. What I do have is a very smooth rolling ball that glides through the heads, swings in off the break point and keeps driving hard through the pin deck. With this layout, I'm seeing about 4.5 - 5" of track flare on a very smooth, controllable ball.

In Summary:
The Temper is an excellent ball, and terrific value for money (ask your local distributer for a price and prepare to be astounded). The polished 2000 abralon coverstock flies through the heads, but still gets excellent traction once it hits the dry. At this point, I'd say the Temper is a genuine medium to medium-heavy oil piece, that seems relatively immune to carry down. Put simply, this guy will eat your typical 38' house shot for breakfast, and everyone will have a great time watching it.

Hopefully someone finds this useful?
cat.

i just brought mine second hand and just got it drilled up lasat night can't wait to throw it down the lane next week give me a better review in a few weeks

Back
Top Bottom