Storm T-Road Solid

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
After watching Belmo average 249 at NSW Open with a T-Road Solid, I was open to the idea of punching one out.

Well, I finally put some holes in one. I've only bowled seriously with this at the Northern NSW Open so far, but here's my experience to date.

LAYOUT
Ball had 2.7 Top Weight and a 3" pin. Pin was laid out in a leverage position (3 3/8" pin to PAP) below and right of the ring finger for me, with the CG toward the grip centre. This placed the Mass Bias on the first track flare.

COVER
I left the cover in the box finish (1000 grit Abralon) and sucked the oil off the heads at Holiday lanes to shine it up. (Poor Cow followed me. I'd made a real mess of the heads. Sorry mate!) I seriously did not expect this much hook from a mid range ball with a rolly layout. This thing is a monster! Will be shining the cover a pinch before SPC.

REACTION
The ball has serious friction with a sanded R2S coverstock. It wanted to react early and even rolled out on the first few shots. As it got some oil in the case, it got better and better, clearing the heads effortlessly in about 10 shots. The Thunder core immediately migrates to the PAP, set and then flips off again, creating an increasing radius of gyration as the ball flares beyond the stabilising effect of pin on PAP and the pin moves further away from the axis. It's a very dynamic core.

Then the T-Road Solid turns the corner. Wow! This ball covers some serious real estate in the backend. On wood lanes too.

Pin carry is excellent and very loud. (A trait of R2S balls - Special Agent makes a racket too.)

I tried the T-Road Solid at Tuggeranong on Tuesday night. I was throwing the ball pretty bad as I was still tired from the Coffs Harbour drive. Even so, it was too big for me on the screaming backends at Tuggeranong, where free hook is handed out at the door. This could be overcome with some polish, but I'll be keeping this ball as a tournament piece.

SUMMARY
Overall - This ball turns the corner with strength, but isn't too touchy to control. Like a Special Agent, but goes a bit longer. They complement each other nicely. Hits like a truck too, which is always a plus. ;)

If you want a hand to hook the ball at a reasonable price or you're looking for a strong arcing piece for tournament play, I recommend the T-Road Solid to you. This ball is mid priced too. I'd also recommend it for use in houses where the backends get streaky, as it will get up in a predictable fashion.

Jase,

After drilling one up with Belmo and Chucky Brown during the week i couldnt agree with you more.

This is one of the best balls i have ever had in my hand, i think this ball may just have converted me to throw a few more Storm balls in the future...

Back
Top Bottom