Storm Storm Dimension

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
Storm Dimension

The Storm Dimension has the new R2X coverstock combined with the new, medium RG symmetrical Continuum core. I was expecting it to go long and jump hard. What I got is much better than that.

My Specs
I’m a RH cranker. 450+ RPM. PAP is 4½ across and 3/4 up. Ball speed is medium high at 18 mph.

LAYOUT
The ball in question had 2.8 oz Top Weight and a 4½" pin. My Dimension is laid out in a medium length, strong arc drilling. Pin was laid out 65° from the PAP with a 45° Pin to PAL Buffer, MB 60° from the PAP. Remember that layouts are relative to your Positive Axis Point (PAP). PBA fans will see Chris Barnes, Tommy Jones or Wes Mallott throwing similar layouts when seeking length with a more defined change of direction.
Precision layout and drilling were carried out at Bowler’s Edge www.bowlersedge.com.au

COVER
The cover stock is factory finished 2000 grit R2X Solid Reactive. R2X is a new Storm coverstock and it reads the midlane in an even more controlled fashion than it's predecessor (R2S). I polished the ball out of the box with Reacta-Shine to get it through the heads easily. After the first night out, I took a tiny bit of the gloss off with a 4000 grit abralon pad to make it roll a pinch earlier and it did the trick. (It's very adaptable.) The colour is Red, Magenta, and Black, with fluorescent Yellow markings, making it very easy to read the ball's motion downlane. The “fruit punch” scent is quite mild. Like the judicious use of perfume, it's only really noticable up close.

An added bonus is that Storm testing staff report exceptional durability with this coverstock, meaning your new R2X ball will last longer.

REACTION
I've bowled this piece on Brunswick Anvilane with a 43ft tournament pattern and on the 37ft house shot. Here's how it went.

Tournament Pattern
This ball is clean through the heads, makes a smooth midlane read, and then a strong rolling, controlled move left. With a bit more flip from the release change, the ball read very strong and smooth off the spot and rolled 10 back easily. It made the 43 ft pattern look pretty easy as long as I moved when the lanes and pins told me to.​

House Shot
As is often the case, I was in trouble on the very bouncy Tuggeranong house shot with this ball until I laid off the revs. Once I started to throw it like a tweener, the reaction on the higher friction pattern was amazing. I could get this ball downlane where it would recover from just about anywhere in a big, continuous arc. While still being “rolly”, this ball turned the corner with supreme authority thanks to the medium Diff RG core. I can see how Pete Weber shot back to back 300's with a Dimension in Europe last week.​

CARRY
The Dimension’s pin carry is very impressive. The ball blows a light hit with punishing power and sends messengers aplenty. I left some 10 pins and took some shine off (as mentioned earlier) which seems to have fixed the problem. It also seems to break up splits from nose hits, leaving you with more makeable spares and therefore closed frames.

SUMMARY
The Dimension provides lots of roll with the ability to control the shape and amount of hook with hand and speed. It is not a skid/flip ball that throws ten or tennis scores (like 6-3, 6-1, 6-0). I was able to make small, simple moves and hold the pocket all day with it. This ball clears the front of the lanes easily with a strong midlane move while maintaining excellent pin action. The R2X cover can be readily tweaked with sanding or polish for fine tuning. I would recommend it for use on house shots when you want extra boards of hook or for medium volume tournament shots. A sanded surface would easily cope with high volumes of oil.

This ball may possibly be better than the Special Agent. I'll let you know after some more use. I like it. A lot.

Jason Doust
Storm/Vise Amateur Staff
www.bowlersedge.com.au
p.s. Fans of the great Maurits Escher will just love the logo Storm pinched from him!

Attachments

• dimension.JPG
    dimension.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 30
  • dimension logo.JPG
    dimension logo.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 18
I recently drilled a Dimension with 5"1/2 x 4"1/2 layout. I have it finished with2000 grit Abralon. Ball was laid out and custom fit by Bowler's Edge.

I have a medium rev rate and moderate ball speed.

This was purchased with medium to heavy tournament patterns in mind.

After having a chance to bowl with it on a wide variety of patterns, I can happily say that I am very pleased and surprised with the versatility this ball has offered.

I had this ball ear marked as a tournament pattern only piece, however once drilled my first chance to use it was at the Mick Camarda Classic, held at Illawarra strikezone, using there standard house shot. On the fresh lanes the Dimension was just too much ball and I struggled to get control of the reaction. However, once the lanes settled after a couple of games, this ball came into its own. It allowed me to play around 5 boards left (at the arrows) of everyone else in the tournament, whilst having my break point outside of all the other bowlers. This gave me a tremendous shot on the lanes, allowing me to lead the event at every stage and take home the title.

This tournament was a real surprise, given what I had thought about the Dimension. It showed its true versatility and has proven on many different lane conditions to be the first ball out of my bag. It gives a true and dependable move on the lanes, with a very continuous backend motion. It must be said that this ball works best when there is a decent volume of oil in the heads. Providing it can get down the lane this ball matches up well on almost any condition.

I would recommend this ball to anyone who wants an early rolling, yet continuous and versatile piece in their arsenal.

CT

Dimension B

Well, I drilled another one! I like this ball that much. I still have and use the first Dimension, so I shall refer to them as Dimension A & B respectively. I expected this ball to go quite a bit straighter than it does, but then again, I haven't seen serious oil with it yet.

LAYOUT
Dimension B has a longer pin to PAP (5”) than Dimension A (4½”), in a rollier layout under the middle finger. (Dimension A was pin above bridge.) MB is at 4½” to PAP, with the CG ending up near the thumb hole (4½” pin).

Starting with a low TW (2.3 oz.), this ball did not require an extra hole, coming in at >⅞ oz. side weight and >¼ oz. thumb weight. (The absence of finger grips means that very little weight is removed compared to the 1¼” thumb slug.)

REACTION
So far I have played with this ball on the Tuggeranong house shot and the Brunswick Australia Cup pattern. I smoothed the R2X surface up to 2000 grit on the Haus Resurfacer, but the ball still read too early. A light buff with Storm Xtra Shine now gets the ball downlane easier.

Getting this ball to store it's rotational energy longer through the longer pin to PAP layout causes it to unwind with a vengeance off the back of the pattern. When there is sufficient oil outside 10 board to sustain life, this ball is a masterpiece, picking up the friction firmly and making an early then continuous motion in the backend. For my rev rate, it needs to break from an outside angle. On the house shot, my high rev rate made the ball pick up too soon and nose dive as the THS break point requires a soft backend reaction to hold the pocket. For players who throw straighter, this would be a very good layout to use.

Providing I keep my hand quiet/soft at the release, I can use this ball on a variety of angles. It's scary how far it will recover with less revs. I'm usually aiming at the gutter at 40 feet with this thing.

CARRY
This ball like Dimension A has outstanding carry which defies it's hook shape. The ball will look like it's going to leave a flat 10, then doesn't. It throws messengers with great aplomb and even trips the odd 4-pin. Soild hits provide very satisfying results. Like any high performance ball, too much friction will cause it to leave corners, so keep your eyes on that midlane reaction and don't be afraid to move in to more oil to get the corners out.

SUMMARY
Dimension B is every bit as good as Dimension A, only different. The layout gives me a new look in parts of the lane where the Dimension A did not have enough backend “pop”. It gives me a ball that slots in nicely between Dimension A and the Virtual Gravity.

I'm going to add my little bit to this ball,

This is my first storm reactive ball and i must say, very pleased with what I got (why I’m posting a little review)!! I’ve used this ball for about 40 games since I got it and I have worked out that this ball is underestimated, mainly due to the Virtual Gravity being a huge success.

Quick Specs: High rev player, around 28-29km/h ball speed. Don’t remember my pap atm. but I don’t think it’s that important for this review

Layout is almost the same as in the first post, Layout and drilling done by Bowlers Edge.

Wasn’t going to get this ball first up I was going to get the virtual gravity, but after talking to Mr. Doust, quickly changed to the Dimension for a couple of reasons, Mainly because the ball would be more controllable for my rev rate with the core being symmetrical

I have used this pattern on a variety of patterns lengths 39-44ft, Ball doesn’t mind the broken down patterns at all, loves the oil of course, dry patterns is a no for me, ball either just rolls too early or just rolls out. But when I do get to use it, it’s so controllable, never had this kind of ball reaction before, strong and controllable and easy to read! Even if the lifters and slugs aren’t looking pretty going down the lane! Ball is just very versatile and unique

Carry is pretty impressive, that impressive I think I have left more 8 pins then 10 pins (that is when i hit the pocket!)

Overall for one of my first storm balls and with another 3 in my bag, I'm very pleased with this ball, i would certainly try and pick one up if you’re looking for a controllable ball that doesn’t mind the oil. I'm looking at getting the 2nd Dimension in the next couple of months to handle the drier lane conditions!(bowlers edge doesn’t know about this yet! lol)

Thanks

Brett

Back
Top Bottom