Stepladder finals produce surprise victories at 2012 NSW OPEN

elsie

Stepladder finals produce surprise victories at 2012 NSW OPEN
Unassailable leads by matchplay winners Carol Gianotti and Jason Belmonte were thwarted in the stepladder finals of this year’s NSW OPEN. In both women’s and men’s divisions, the second-seed players Rebecca Voukolos and Michael Little emerged victorious in the sudden-death, single-game final.

98 bowlers congregated in Sydney’s south-west on the weekend of 25/26 August for the 2012 NSW OPEN, hosted by New South Wales TBA Inc and Interbowl Australia at Campbelltown City Bowl. Participants representing every State and Territory of mainland Australia and England’s Dominic Barrett and Cassie Staudinger contested one of the longest-established tournaments on the sport’s calendar.

The win was a triumphant return to form for the NT’s Bec Voukolos who briefly retired following last year’s TBA National Championships to give birth to daughter Georgia in February. “This has kind of confirmed that I should be here, and still up to that level … I thought my bowling might have dropped off but this win has put a big fire in my belly again,” she said smiling following her victory.

Commenting on the stepladder format that saw her overtake Gianotti’s 222 point lead following nine games of matchplay Voukolos said, “I’ve been in Carol’s position, and know how she must feel.” “She threw the ball great all day…so smooth …she’s an inspiration and a great role model,” Voukolos added.
Newcastle’s Michael Little was equally generous in praise of his adversary, who had led throughout every preliminary phase of the men’s division, bowled the tournament High Game of 289 and taken a 301 point lead going into the stepladder final. “I was lucky it paid off … obviously Belmo was the best bowler for the weekend,” he said after defeating third seed Matt Watson from WA in the first match of the stepladder, and clinching a 236-216 victory over Belmonte in the final round.

33 year-old Little has figured in the ranks of Australia’s elite bowlers for many years, with numerous national and international titles to his credit at Junior, Youth and Adult level, including Masters Champion at the 2003 WTBA World Championships.
Both Voukolos and Little will be among hundreds of bowlers returning to Sydney in October for the sport’s Adult national championships, being held at AMF Rooty Hill RSL.

“Next year, the NSW OPEN will be held at Lidcombe’s Tenpin City, and although dates are still to be confirmed, it’s likely to be around the end of July,” said Tournament Director Leanne Triulcio. “Kevin Webb and his team here at Campbelltown City have done a great job staging the event for the past three years, and will continue to play host to the Sydney Junior, and Sydney Youth Cup tournaments … I’m sure the NSW OPEN will remain the premier adult tournament for this State in its new location next year,” she added.

Full scores for the 2012 NSW OPEN can be found via a link to the TBA website at www.tenpinevents.org.au/2012_Ranked_events/NSW_Open/results.aspx

ends

Attachments

• NSW Open 2012 champions Michael Little & Rebecca Voukolos Pic Jacqueline Heldoorn.jpg
    NSW Open 2012 champions Michael Little & Rebecca Voukolos Pic Jacqueline Heldoorn.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 43
  • (l-r) Belmonte (2nd) Little (1st) Watson (3rd) Pic Jacqueline Heldoorn.jpg
    (l-r) Belmonte (2nd) Little (1st) Watson (3rd) Pic Jacqueline Heldoorn.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 44
  • (l-r) Gianotti (2nd) Voukolos (1st) & Whiting (3rd) Pic Jacqueline Heldoorn.jpg
    (l-r) Gianotti (2nd) Voukolos (1st) & Whiting (3rd) Pic Jacqueline Heldoorn.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom