State Representative Standards

SCOOPS

GUINNESS SWILLUS
Simply should there be an entrance level for being able to apply for a State representative team?

Western Australia from what i hear has only 5 men & 5women nominate for the RIGHT to representate in the Biggest OPEN Teams CHallenge in Australia, outside ABF Championships, so should 5 be allowed to go and represent or should there be a standard to up live

Surely no-one would want to see 3 150 average bowlers bowling RACHUIG and being humilated by all opposing teams?

Re: State Representative Satndards

OMG haven't we had this convo before on this forum??? Maybe, just maybe those three crappy 150 ave bowlers might pull it out of their **** and bowl a 190/200 average and kick some butt! It has been known to happen once or twice, I have seen it. Haven't you ever bowled head to head and been beaten by the one you least expected? It happens all the time, I think because you feel you got nothing to prove and they feel they have everything to prove.
There are a few teams who field bowlers you wouldn't think are good enough but unless you are in that team is it really your problem?

Oh and while we are on the topic..perhaps if nothing short of 195 is good enough for Rachuig then De Veer entering averages need to be reviewed. At present they stand at 184 for men and 174 for women, clearly in the opinion of many not good enough for Rachuig...so lets lift De Veer caps then???

That's my opinion anyway.

*Shrugs* I'll bowl.

Scoops, it is a very valid point you are raising, and I'd have to agree that having 130 average bowlers competing in the premier teams event in the country (and one of the best in the world) could end up being embarrassing. However, I guess it is all about sending the best possible team from each state/zone away to compete..

Then you have the issues with some states having a larger supply of quality bowlers who really are up to that standard. The 200 and over average tournament player stays at home and watches the results on the TBA website, while players with perhaps less skill or experience are away competing in Rachuig. It has it's positives and negatives I guess. I'd certainly like to be a part of Rachuig, this year I was unsuccessful, but hopefully in the future I will be able to represent. It all serves as motivational material.

But definately a valid point raised.

I agree with you 100% Scoops but you might find This an interesting read, as Ice said this has been discussed before in the QLD forum.

Scoops ...

You are obviously interested in fixing the problem .... so what is the problem?

Is it the costs? Is it the lack of quality bowlers or lack of tournaments over in WA? Personality problems (dont bite .. most teams have them ...)?

Tried to canvas the Youth Bowlers? We've got 2 that were good enough to make our team this year in Sth QLD.

At last years De Veer, John Baker bowled a 196 avg. I see he's made the De Veer team again (well done John). There is a guy who seems pretty capable.

In Sth QLD, we made the roll-off part of another, very popular tournament (The Twin Tour). We had record fields for nominations.

Just a few suggestions.

Peter Martin is right. We have to ask what is the problem, or why are bowlers not nominating?
We had similar problems in Qld but our solutions may not necessarily work in WA.
It would be great to see a minimum standard for Rachuig but until the interest is re-generated that would be hard to impose.
I wonder what the roll-off costs are in WA? When not a lot of people nominate thats the first thing we look at. Total Bowling publicity is also paramount, this site reaches a lot of bowlers.
Many people still see Rachuig as a closed shop and we should do all we can to correct this.
This lack of nominations must also be a worry for the National Body - how can they possibly attempt to convince the ASC and any other Sporting Authorities that we are serious about the sport when we struggle to field State Teams?
There must be a major shift in attitude towards Rachuig, and all of us need to direct our efforts towards raising the profile of this event.
I would rather see a thread on how to improve Rachuig than a long winded rant complaining about things that most of us can't fix.
We do need ideas and sooner rather than later. Both the proprietors and the bowlers will benefit from a stronger competion.

I personally think (and I know of others who do also) that Rachuig should be a stand alone tournament, held over a 3 day long weekend, and NOT connected to Nationals.

The cost factor of having to be away from work/home for so long with the current set up, ie held after nationals and masters, is starting to impact more on bowlers these days.... you are representing your state in what is supposed to be the premier event in Australian bowling, so why should it be overshadowed by all the other carnival goings on of Nationals???

jmhlo;)

Broni

To add further to that in places like North Queensland you would struggle to find 7 female bowlers with 195+ averages, maybe other teams would be the same. Perhaps Rachuig and De Veer need to be looked at and modified as a whole, instead of trying to fix separately. I think there may be alot of good bowlers in the middle there between De Veer and Rachuig especially with the men who are not bowling either. Use De Veer as the stepping stone to Rachuig, work with and encourage these bowlers to improve and make the move up to strengthen Rachuig's future instead of treating De Veer bowlers as second class. An example of this is not re-oiling at lunch for De Veer...and the reason I heard was that there are no bowlers here who have enough on the ball to need it! This wouldn't happen at Rachuig. Just my thoughts.

Ice said:
Use De Veer as the stepping stone to Rachuig, work with and encourage these bowlers to improve and make the move up to strengthen Rachuig's future instead of treating De Veer bowlers as second class. An example of this is not re-oiling at lunch for De Veer...and the reason I heard was that there are no bowlers here who have enough on the ball to need it! This wouldn't happen at Rachuig. Just my thoughts.

Just to clarify what happened at the Deveer roll offs, Saturday, they did re oil after lunch, which was not necessary as you could have fried enough fish and chips to feed an army on what was down on the lanes, ( I was told it was a house pattern :rofl:)
And Sunday it was voted on from all players, not to have a lunch break and bowl 6 games straight.

I find it strange that a State would lay down a oil pattern that would have nothing to do with what they would bowl at the Nationals and the De Veer in Tassie.

Again Congratulations to all who made the team, well done people it was tough to work out, but you triumphed.

As far as "....this wouldn't happen in Rachuig...." Just ask anyone who trialled for Rachuig in Victoria if the were treated to the "best" conditions possible and I'm pretty certain they would have loved to have bowled on the condition laid for De Veer trials here in Vic.

As far as setting standards for Rachuig I agree this is the premier teams event in the country and as such the best talent should be show cased. It is an honour (or at least it should be) to bowl for your State and we should do all we can to ensure that each State has their best bowlers there to compete.....but this is where setting standards too high may be a problem for some states. As has been noted some states are blessed with enough talent to probably field 2 high quality teams whilst others will always struggle to fill one, that is without imposing average constraints on the event. Having said that there is definitly merit in setting a higher standard for Rachuig teams as this is afterall out state teams on display and their standard should be expected to be higher then your ave joe, if I was going to watch any other sporting event where teams from each state were competing I would expect that level to be significantly better then if I went down to watch a local sat arvo comp, afterall these people are supposed to be the best at their sport in the State and possibly working toward national selection. That should be our challenge to encourage people to continue to improve their skills to a level "worthy" of wearing that state shirt. So perhaps set a standard minimum average to be eligible but don't make it so high that States will no longer be able to field a team at all and making Rachuig appear unreachable for some. In essence if you want to represent your State you are going to have to work hard and aspire to improve each year and that can only be good for the sport.

Cheryl:)

Just to clarify...I was talking about not oiling at lunch at Nationals 2005...not roll- offs.

hey Scoops,
I'll come and bowl for W.A. if you want me!

Probably get treated better over there than here.

Tony

Maybe here in WA we should hold the roll offs for both Rachuig and De Veer on separtate days instead on the same days

Some of the De Veer bowlers would then may try out for Rachuig instead of De Veer

Also I think a Change in both players coaches and managers in both areas could be could for the State roll offs

Nogum

Ice

I was talking about not oiling at lunch at Nationals 2005...not roll- offs.

As you stated at Nationals 2005 De Veer bowled 6 games straight. However, I have it on good authority that if Rachuig was to be bowled on only one pattern then Rachuig would have been conducted on 6 games straight each day as well.

However, since Day 2 was to be 3 games on long and then 3 games on short the tournament team decided to be consistent with the form of play on each day of Rachuig, ie 3 games, re-oil and then 3 games.

The decision to do this had nothing to do with the quality of the bowlers.

Bugs said:
Ice
As you stated at Nationals 2005 De Veer bowled 6 games straight. However, I have it on good authority that if Rachuig was to be bowled on only one pattern then Rachuig would have been conducted on 6 games straight each day as well.
However, since Day 2 was to be 3 games on long and then 3 games on short the tournament team decided to be consistent with the form of play on each day of Rachuig, ie 3 games, re-oil and then 3 games.
The decision to do this had nothing to do with the quality of the bowlers.
And we could all have a seperate competition at Rachuig..... who's plastic spare ball hooks the least.

I would have hated to see how dry the lanes would be after 6 games, considering how dry they were after 2.

Back
Top Bottom