• No

Votes: 36 65.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters

Jase

Admin
Staff member
A REFERENDUM will be held in 2008 to decide if people in southeast Queensland should drink recycled sewage water, despite yesterday's overwhelming No vote in Toowoomba.

Premier Peter Beattie today will announce the special poll for March 29, 2008, to coincide with local government elections.
Mr Beattie, who can fulfill the referendum promise only if he wins the next state election, said he was disappointed that Toowoomba voters had rejected the recycled water plan – but that would not end the debate.

Almost 62 per cent of Toowoomba voters were against the proposal, with just over 38 per cent voting Yes.

"Just because Toowoomba said No, that does not rule it out for southeast Queensland. I want the people to decide this issue. But even if they vote Yes for recycled water, we would only use it if it's absolutely necessary."

Opposition Leader Lawrence Springborg said the State Government's water policy had been dealt a major blow by the No vote in Toowoomba.

Millionaire property developer Clive Berghofer, who bankrolled the No vote, declared the result a victory for common sense

"They say it is the cheapest and the best option but it is no good if nobody wants it.".

"We will have 20 months of informed debate. We need to have a long education campaign, a long and sensible debate." Mr Beattie said a Yes vote in the 2008 referendum would see a connector pipe built in a matter of months to feed recycled water into Wivenhoe Dam.

If the voters rejected the move, the State Government would scrap plans to add treated sewage to the southeast's drinking water.

All outdoor watering could be banned as soon as October, when Level 4 water restrictions are expected to begin, because no major rain is forecast.

With drinking water in southeast Queensland set to run out by 2008 without significant rainfall, Mr Beattie said far-reaching and expensive measures were needed.

He wanted the water grid – a network of pipes transporting water from one corner of the state to the other – to be his legacy.

Mr Beattie set out his water timeline this week: pipelines from Luggage Point providing recycled water to power stations at Swanbank (2007) and Tarong (2008); the Gold Coast desalination plant (2009); the controversial Wyaralong and Traveston Crossing dams (2011); Traveston-Sunshine Coast-Brisbane pipeline (2012).

"This water grid will guarantee our future. It will be more important than anything," he said.
There will be people who hate me to the day I die, though, for Traveston Crossing and Wyaralong. But at the end of it all, people will see the sense of it."

I don't think i am real keen to have stuff caught in my teeth everytime i drink water... How about everyone else what do you think?????

no way however i have no problems with it being used for Watering lawns and in toilets etc, but no mater how clean and treated it is, i dont think i could come to terms to the fact it was once someone elses waste.

Water is too valuable a resorce not to be re-used. It is fast disappearing from the face of Australia. When we run out of water and can no longer live life as we do today, you'll wish you had voted yes.

In some country towns in Tassie you'd be drinking it untreated if you didn't boil it.
Queenstown's water is so dirty it stains your bath black after a week.

Sad to say, but that treated former human waste water would probably be a lot cleaner than some of the water coming out of taps now.
Hobart's northern suburbs had a case of dead eels in its water supply that made lots of people sick a few years ago.

I can see sales of bottled water going through the roof.

No way, I would not drink it. I think de-salination is a much more socially acceptable option.........I'd rather drink fish poo!:D

Tiger said:
I can see sales of bottled water going through the roof.
Spot on Tiger. Will it be ex sewerage though?

I'm going to put on more tanks - big ones at that - and if treated sewage ever comes to my house, the meter tap will be turned off very tightly. Country people on properties don't rely on town water nor should the majority of people if they put on tanks.

Tiger is right.

Jase, Ninja, you guys are going to go very Thirsty.
It's recycled, treated and perfect for consumption.

Do you honestly beleive that you'll cop a floater when getting a glass of water from the tap jase ?

De-salinisation is the way to go imo, but unfortunately its very very costly.

It would almost be as bad as making a Victorian drink water from the Yarra....

Almost...

Why not all water is recycled it goes through us all then through lots of other animals then again and again. Millions of times over even Dinosours, we are now drinking Dinosours wee omg ..................:eek:

I make drugs water based we take water from dams are they clean nooooooooooo we clean them up filtters omg. WFI ( water for injection) is water we use you drink it you sick it's so pure ( no bits ) tummy not happy but ok in drugs think out side the square ok yea sounds yuck to drink poo or wee but hay we have been for Millions of years any way.............;)

Gary...........................................:cool:

Just a thought Lemon Trees love mmmmm wee helps them but do you stop and say noooooooo i can't eat the lemon's but you do omg you just ate wee errrrrrrrrrr are you dead or sick noooooo..........?

Gary.....................................:cool:

Its dissappointing to see that the weekends vote was a NO.

You can vote NO now, but it years to come your going to have to drink reclaimed water.

Working in the Water & Wastewater industry helps me get a little bit more info but not everything.

I meet up with a few mates back home in Sydney on the weekend who are all really well recognised senior Process Engineers within Australia's water treatment community. The general vibe was that Australia is keen to do it but no one wants to be the 1st to do so.

One of these boys is off to Qatar in 2 weeks to head a design team to build a reclamation plant to supply treated waste for the whole country.

Water treatment process are that good these days that you wouldnt no the difference.

We are definatly a lucky country, water resources have been good. These plants dont happen over night, it takes years of planning and infrastructure roll out before these project can happen.

Good on the QLD government for bringing these questions to the public. Every other state is watching closely.

Possibly, i think he should wait till the Gov't cleans it before he goes to the throne next time !

Water treatment process are that good these days that you wouldnt no the difference.

It's not the taste alot of us are worried about, it is what we can't taste that is cause for concern. Our water already has god knows what chemicals in it, what will be in it once recycled that we can't taste???????

You idiots!!!!! Gary only drinks VB

Made out of Dinosaur wee ever heard of Darwin ?

Gary.........................................:cool:

Ps: Evolution.................Tonx

Ice_Magik said:
Tiger is right.
Jase, Ninja, you guys are going to go very Thirsty.
It's recycled, treated and perfect for consumption.
Do you honestly beleive that you'll cop a floater when getting a glass of water from the tap jase ?
De-salinisation is the way to go imo, but unfortunately its very very costly.
give u the hot tip matie
while ever the make bourbon and beer out of real water i wont be going thirsty at all :D

Ice said:
It's not the taste alot of us are worried about, it is what we can't taste that is cause for concern. Our water already has god knows what chemicals in it, what will be in it once recycled that we can't taste???????
exactley
why dont they use reclamed water for backyard taps so people can hose their lawns, wash their cars etc with it. Even have it in our toilets but leave the water we drink and use to cook to be fresh from the damn.

Ice said:

without dragging it out, im no process engineer, but the final stages to produce a high quality water invlove processes such as Microfiltration (under pressure filters) Reverse Osmosis (high pressure filtration), chlorine dosing (kills bugs etc) & UV disinfection.

You have to remember treated effluent atm is mostly just flows freely into rivers and the ocean.

EPA have strict guidelines in which every council has to work to. Which are become tighter every time a new plant is built or upgraded.

They cant go letting harmful chemical into the natural ecosystems can they?

This debate will rage on for a long time to come.

The information is all out there for everyone to read and see. Sydney Water for example have plenty of information on water quality.
Hopefully these topics will help to raise everyones water awareness.

In the end we all need water.

Back
Top Bottom