Should bowling be an olympic sport ?

Loose Cannon

Bowlers always have time to spare.
Been getting into the spirit of the London games and thought to myself how good would it be to have ten pin bowling as an Olympic sport. It's been a sport at the commonwealth games since 1998 so it has some merit to be on the international stage. The sport isn't just dominated by Americans now, there is a blend of good bowlers all around the world which would make competition at the Olympic level quite interesting. What's everyone's thoughts on this ?

Bowling was a demonstration sport at the Kuala Lumpur Commonwealth Games. To my knowledge, it hasn't been in the Commonwealth Games since then. I believe they were trying to get it back into the Commonwealth Game for 2018 on the Gold Coast, but didn't make it.

Sadly it was an opportunity not taken a few decades back.

From my understanding a several million dollar fee was required for entry, it was not taken up and bowling has since been omitted.

The story of why was posted in a thread about 12 months ago, Jason Doust gave the account that went someting like the above. It makes you wonder how much support bowling would get if it was an Olympic sport?

Also, the 'commonwealth championships' ran as a demonstration sport during the commonwealth games in Melbourne in 2006

Australia cleaned up :) and I scored some of the international team shirts so I cleaned up too :)

It's a shame because bowling has many disciplines that are prerequisites in other Olympic sports which require skill, focus, knowledge & accuracy ( take shooting or archery as examples) . When I watched the Beijing games I became hooked on the bmx racing, largely because it was different , great spectator viewing & it appealed to a younger generation. Without any bias I'm sure bowling would create a similar buzz.

Wasn't it a demonstration Sport in the Atlanta Olympics as well? Can't remember what year...

The facts & figures makes for a strong argument for inclusion John, geez if tennis can qualify as an olympic sport then it just astounds me bowling cant:confused: , while we are at it bring back tug o war as well ;)

Hi Luke,

My mother in law ( being Greek) believes they should go back to all events being held in the nude.

So maybe we will only get bowling into the Olympics if nude bowling is taken up. But, as JD has said, "you would need to wear shoes, cause that would be wierd with out"

There are certain events that would be ok viewing John and some that would be just downright WRONG!!

Ten bowling was a full particpation sport at KL Comm games. Australias team of Cara Honeychurch, Maxine Nable. Frank Ryan and Mike Muir cleaned up with Cara winning 3 gold medals.(singles ,doubles, and Mixed doubles with Frank Ryan) A demonstation event was conducted in 1996 in Atlanta in the days just before the games started. Interestingly Cara won that event as well. KL will be remembered for the Malaysian team (coached by Syd Allen) having midnight training sessions on the pattern. It was surposed to phyc Cara out. It didnt work lol

Thought I could clarify some of the points mentioned in the posts related to tenpin bowling and add some further information re Commonwealth Games.

1. The sport was included as a full medal sport, not a demonstration sport, in the 1998 Commonwealth Games in KL, and as Philby pointed out, Australia fielded the champion team by medalling in each event, winning 3 Gold, a Silver and Bronze medal at those Games.

2. Since then, bowling has not been included on subsequent Commonwealth Games programmes but was one of 10 sports included in the II Commonwealth Youth Games (also held every 4 years) in 2004 in Bendigo, Australia. And, inspired by the addition of bowling to the programme of the 1998 Games even after the initial group of sports was announced, we will continue to endeavour to have our sport included on the programme for Gold Coast 2018.

3. The positive response and renewed popularity that resulted from the sport’s participation in the Commonwealth Games in 1998 prompted the formation of an association of national Federations representing numerous Commonwealth countries in 2002. This organisation is the Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Federation, and I was appointed as its Secretary-General and Media Director, honorary roles to which I have been re-elected every 4 years.

4. The CTBF was formed with the specific goal of staging biennial Commonwealth Championships that will ultimately meld into the official Commonwealth Games program. Since the inaugural Championship in Stirling, Scotland four further Championships have been staged in Paphos, Cyprus; Melbourne, Australia; Belfast, Northern Ireland; and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The next Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Championship is scheduled from 24 February to 4 March 2013 in Auckland, New Zealand.

5. At Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Championships teams of 2 men and 2 women compete in Singles, Doubles, Mixed Doubles, Teams and Masters events. Australia has traditionally fielded teams representing its top-ranked Adult and Youth male and female bowlers, based on TBA’s previous year’s rankings.

6. 54 countries are members of the Commonwealth. This represents almost one-third of the world’s population and a fifth of all global trade. 23 nations have participated at least once in the previous CTBF championships and/or entered but withdrawn due to unforeseen circumstances :

Australia, Bahamas, Bermuda, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Cyprus, England, Gibraltar, Guernsey, India, Isle of Man, Jersey, Malaysia, Malta, New Zealand, Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Pakistan, Scotland, Singapore, South Africa, Wales.

Pakistan is a full member of the CTBF, but has withdrawn its team at the last moment due to political and economic problems.

7. Under the auspices of the international Commonwealth Games Federation, officially endorsed Gold, Silver and Bronze medals featuring the unique CGF ‘bar’ are awarded to the winners and placegetters of each event, (except the Masters which Commonwealth Games Federation regulations interpret as duplicating the Singles event) - trophies are awarded to the Masters winners at CTBF Championships. The medals awarded at Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Championships are the next highest achievement, within Commonwealth regions, to official Commonwealth Games medals.

8. The Championships held in Melbourne in 2006 were not part of the 2006 Commonwealth Games as a demonstration sport, but part of the cycle of CTBF Championships – our charter encourages Federations to host Championships that coincide with Commonwealth Games if tenpin bowling is not chosen as a Commonwealth Games sport in that year, but no sport is permitted to hold any international championship during the actual time-frame of the Games. Same rule applies to Olympics, I understand.

9. A points system was introduced in 2006 to determine the top-placed country at each Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Championship and the prize awarded is known as the Triple Diamond Perpetual Trophy, a perpetual plaque awarded to the highest aggregate Team pinfall in All Events. The triple-diamonds represent the three Zones of our sport – Asia, America and Europe. Australia was the inaugural winner of the Triple Diamond Perpetual Trophy, which has subsequently been won by England and Malaysia.

10. Each candidate city bidding to host a Commonwealth Games must include a minimum of 10 core sports on its programme. The core sports are Aquatics-Swimming, Athletics, Badminton, Boxing (currently Men only), Hockey, Lawn Bowls, Netball (Women only), Rugby 7s (Men only), Squash and Weightlifting.

11. An additional 7, from a list of optional sports/disciplines, can also be included. Tenpin bowling is classified by the CGF as an ‘optional’ sport, along with Archery, Aquatics-Diving, Aquatics-Synchronised Swimming, Basketball, Canoeing, Cycling-Road, Cycling-Mountain Bike, Cycling-Track, Gymnastics-Artistic, Gymnastic-Rhythmic, Judo, Rowing, Sailing, Shooting-Clay Target, Shooting-Pistol, Shooting-Small Bore, Shooting-Full Bore, Softball, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis, Triathlon and Wrestling

12. A maximum of 4 team sports can be included in any Commonwealth Games sports programme.

Hope this helps, and please continue to support every effort being made to regain a place on future Games’ programmes. Participation benefits not just the bowlers involved - all competitive bowlers share the pride of bowling being recognised as an elite sport, and the sponsorship opportunities that result from enhanced media attention are enormous. Increased government funding and access to Australian Commonwealth Games Association development programs are further invaluable benefits that flow from elevation to the Commonwealth Games sports programme.

I’m sure you understand why this goal is so dear to my heart and, in my opinion, worthy of relentless pursuit on behalf of bowlers of every age and level.

Lynne Clay

Watching an American Olympic qualifiers tournament would be a spectacle in itself, imagine a field full of class bowlers vying for say 3 singles spots . With the likes of fagan, Barnes, Jones,rash,weber, duke etc challenging for an Olympic spot it wouldn't be like a usual PBA meet as it would have a little more meaning.

Back
Top Bottom