Scooter Coombs takes out Rocky Eliminator

nls

Congratulations to Graham Scooter Coombs in winning the Rockhampton Eliminator today. Scooter had to defeated John Dunn twice in the final to take home the trophy.

The morning started with 1st reserve John Dunn getting a spot due to late arrival of one competitor. In the first round he defeated top qualifier Graham Allen and continued to go through to the final undefeated (even including a 2 game tie breaker with Nathan Stein after a tie in the second round...)

Short price favourite Dale Warren and former Rocky Junior Zac Burgess were eliminated after 2 rounds. And once Shaun Dunn was knocked out in the third round, the result was wide open (thank god I played him on 1 & 2, gotta love that wall hey Shaun ;)

Local Brad Ross bowled well and took me down in round 4 only to be defeated by Scooter Coombs in round 5. The field only lefty, Graham Allen also eliminated Stuart Crowley to progress to round 6.

The 2 Rocky Graham's then had to face off to see who met JD in the final. Scooter was too good on the burn and proceeded to beat Graham and then John Dunn twice to take out his first Wide Bay title.

Whilst it was a small field, I would like to thank all of those that travelled up (or down in the case of Mackay) to attend. We certainly appreciated your support of the first Wide Bay event to be held in Rockhampton. There has been a number of Rocky bowlers who have travelled thousands of kilometers to support the wide bay tour over the past 4 years and it was great to finally have a 'home' event. Unfortunately there was not more who were willing and able to make the trip, but I hope those that did, enjoyed the weekend (the lane conditions certainly challenged all of us at times (or for some, perhaps too many times ;))

Congratulations Scoot, nice bowling. I would like to thank all those who made the trip up or down and John McKenna and the staff at the North Rockhampton Bowl for hosting the first Rocky event in the Wide Bay calendar. A big thanks to Nathan Stein for organising squad listings etc. through Total Bowling, and also to all the volunteers who scored.
Look forward to seeing everyone in Caboolture.

Brad

Hey Nathan

By any chance were scores from todays final interested to see what blocks were needed to win against different people

Well done on the event

First off, would like to say congrats to Graham. Well done mate.

Next would like to say even though it was a small turnout, it was a great event and all that bowled made the most of it, under extremely trying circumstances. The conditions for the event were certainly not acceptable for a league standard, let alone a tournament standard and for the centre to host another event or events going forward, there would need to be massive improvements in terms of condition and general maintenance to attract more bowlers.

In saying this though, i would like to pay a special thanks to Nathan for putting everything together and putting up the qualifying scores. We will need to see the final scores for the points but am sure you will do that for us when you get some time mate.

I would lastly like to say that I really feel for all the local bowlers there who have to endure such poor conditions and it is one of many reasons why our sport is not getting the participation it deserves at the top level right now. To give an example of this, i reverted to a plastic ball pegging straight at the headpin for the last 5 games and they were my best 5 of qualifying. It was quite scary throwing the ball and literally not knowing how it was going to react. You literally had no idea where it was going to go even when you threw 2 identical shots, you got 2 very different results!

But trying to keep a positive spin on this, well done once again to Graham, big well done to John, who, on borrowed gear (Nath's) came in as 17th place and to make it to runner up was a huge effort.

Thanks.

Jase

Back
Top Bottom