Rockway rolloffs

}-Adam-{

iLuZoN
Just wondering when or if there is rockway rolloffs and also wondering about the committee and someone become part of it.

Rachuig Information has been released and I wonder how many people know that Joondalup Cup is a selection requirments?

As it is not yet posted on the TBA WA website, i have copied and pasted the selection criteria from the entry form:

Eligibility - 2012 Western Australian Rachuig Team Selection Criteria:
1. Be a current member of or complete the necessary steps to become a member of the WA State Based Training Squad. (Forms can be obtained on the TBAWA website).
2. Must be 18 years or above prior to competing in the 2012 National Adult Championships.
3. Participation in the Joondalup Cup on 4th & 5th February 2012 at AMF Joondalup. Please contact AMF Joondalup to book your spot in the 2012 Joondalup Cup.
4. Participation in the Western Australian Adult Open Masters by qualifying in Centre between 21st April and 20th May 2012.
5. Participation at both SBT days - Saturday 12th and 13th May at AMF Joondalup & Cannington.

A total of 6 male and 6 female bowlers will be selected for each team.

All well and good but 2 weeks notice that Joondalup Cup is a requirement bit short notice for some people.

Joondalup Cup $260 cost for this event.

Why were people not informed of this?

Unfortunately, im not a part of TBAWA and cannot answer that question. Since ive been back in perth, ive recieved on average 2 weeks notice for all events, prior to looking at the state calendar............................

Ok, so for the unfortunate ones who are away for work that weekend of joondalup cup, given the short notice. There has to be some form of exemption that can be given. And if that's not possible how do I put my name on the draft list?
Oh and from what I have read it's a total selection no spots guaranteed. So I could theoretically, (if I was bowling) win masters and joondalup cup and still not be picked. How is this a fair system?

You would think you'd still be picked if that happens, but on top of bowling well on difficult conditions, I'd say you want to have a good attitude towards your bowling and fellow bowlers, indicate that you are willing to work and function as a team, take on board what the coaches have to say etc etc.

The way the team was picked last year was a farce, and I dare say that was reflected in the results over at the actual tournament. This to me is a huge step forward and will hopefully produce a team that is competitive.

Well, to be 100% brutally honest (DISCLAIMER - may offend) it sounds like they are wanting to get a specific group of people into the side and then just fill the rest with others.
The lack of notice has made it hard for 2 or 3 bowlers I know over here to make it for joondalup cup for various reasons, and by giving this short notice to "everyone" I say this with little to no confidence. Has possibly killed their chance of making a side which if I was selecting would be under very high consideration to be in.

Now even if by some chance they had an exemption for joondalup cup and performed very well at state masters and state training squad, they would be over looked for not bowling it. I feel that you should still have 1-3 spots given out for performance just on the scores and results.

2 ways you could do this is by awarding the highest finisher at state and joondalup cup and automatic spot, and then highest average for the 2 combined. (after the high place finishers are taken out of the list from state and Joondalup cup)

Or secondly just take top 3 combined averages for both events

I know that most people that read this that are on the committee are now just looking at this and crossing my name out before I have even throw a ball down, which honestly if this is what happens I wouldn't want to represent this state. I am a highly motived, passionate bowler, and if I was going to go over to nationals I would want to know I have the best team possible to take over with me. Yes I go to have fun, But equally I go there to win.

After all this is said and done, I am still going to be putting my name down for rolloffs, applying for an exemption (even though we don't have them) emailing TBA in regards to the ruling of the lack of time notice given in the selection process. After all this is said and done, if I still don't get my exemption I will have to cancel my work I had that week (most likely getting a letter of warning over it, because I am dedicated and passionate about this sport)

Failing all this and not performing to committee standards and making the team I will be applying for the draft list.

For those that don't know my name yet,
It is Adam Svechheimers
Write that down!!

The numbers last year for Rachuig rolls offs reflected the fact that there is a leader and plenty of followers and without that leader being on the committee followers did not show for the roll offs.

The perception you have about the results at the actual tournament is your own opinion. For the team to have the strength they had to be guttered by a certain situation/selfishness certainly brought down the team. I am sure everyone has heard what happened and will alway point fingers but truth prevails only guilty minded will hide from that truth!

The last time that WA had full selection was in 1988 and it is interesting that the same comments being expressed here
were pretty much the same as then.

Selection is always subjective and in 1988 there was a bowler who in my opinion should have been first on the list and not
left of it completely. He was the most well performed player that year and if he had been "more popular" with the selectors then
I am sure he would have been on the list.

In all likelyhood it will happen again this year as someone will always think that a certain player was given preference over another.

I would not like to have the job of Selector as there will always be criticism levelled at you for the decisions that you make but in saying that
there appears to be some safegards in the selection criteria to prevent nepotism.

We will just have to wait to see the outcome but I don't think there will be too many surprises.

Steve J

Does anyone even know who the selectors are? I'm new to the WA bowling scene and it would be good to know who's who.

Apparently it is;

The Team Coach
The Team Manager
1 TBAWA representative
1 male and 1 female bowler representative as appointed by the TBAWA Committee.

The announcement of who is Coach and Manager is to be made prior to Joondalup Cup
but unless I missed it I haven't seen a nomination form for either position.

If I was going to have a bet I would put my money on Ken Thompson as Team Coach and Sally Watson as Team Manager.
I don't think the odds would be too good though.

Who the others will be is anyones guess but you would hope that they know something about bowling.

Steve J

Lol, seems like everything here is a bit of anyone's guess. Is Sally Watson related to the Watson brothers? It's actually interesting to see how WA put a team together. Hopefully they select the best people to bring home some gold.

Lol, seems like everything here is a bit of anyone's guess. Is Sally Watson related to the Watson brothers? It's actually interesting to see how WA put a team together. Hopefully they select the best people to bring home some gold.

1 male and 1 female bowler? Are they in the team or just random bowlers? Because if your selecting a male and female bowler now wouldn't that defeat the purpose of selecting after all the events?

Or are all of us rolling off under consideration for this spot. If so, does that mean we have to tale note of what others are doing and how they handle themselves on the lane!

Unless i am reading what you wrote incorrectly.

Regardless of if I make the team or not, I just want to see a fair playing field for all that rolloff, and for the ones who lived out of state until recently, we are at a major disadvantage already with it going just on full selection. The selectors will more than likely favor the bowlers they know, even if we out average them. It can be put down to "a bad day" (we all know he is better than this) we all know the story.

Out of curiosity, what average range of bowlers are rolling off? On paper highest league average they have finished a season on...

From what I was told davo, family members aren't allowed to be involved in the selection committee, not sure if that is correct or not. But from in all honesty I have bowled with matt quite a few times now at state level. Youth and juniors, it shouldn't make too much of a difference. Matt had performed well on most occasions I have seen him bowl. And handles himself in the ups and downs you get in this format. I havent seen chris bowl as much.
Matt would be one of the top 3 choices for the side, and unless he performs really badly he would be hard not to pick.

From what I was told davo, family members aren't allowed to be involved in the selection committee, not sure if that is correct or not. But from in all honesty I have bowled with matt quite a few times now at state level. Youth and juniors, it shouldn't make too much of a difference. Matt had performed well on most occasions I have seen him bowl. And handles himself in the ups and downs you get in this format. I havent seen chris bowl as much.
Matt would be one of the top 3 choices for the side, and unless he performs really badly he would be hard not to pick.

Both the Watson bowlers are very good bowlers and team bowlers so I would say they would be great for the WA side regardless of who there mum is.

Sally has been in the bowling world for many many years so I'm sure she knows the rules on selection

Back
Top Bottom