Question...

NotAnotherSplit

Why do the balls tend to be 14lb - 16lb, that are for sale in the Second Hand Gear Classifieds?

Perhaps i'm using too light a ball, how do you determine what weight to use, is it purely feel or is there more to it?

I guess thats two questions ..

Most higher average bowlers use at least 14lb equipment, and these are the bowlers who also change their equipment more often and thus have balls for sale. Heavier balls deflect less, and thus carry better than light balls. Many performance balls also do not have dynamic weight blocks in balls lighter than 14lbs, although some lines do retain some sort of dynamic core down to 12 lb.
You should in general use the heaviest ball that you can comfortably swing. There is little difference these days in carry between 14 to 16lb gear, and the ones who generate high rotation and cover a lot of boards will sometimes carry better with 14lb than heavier balls, but I would estimate that the weight preference amongst higher average male bowlers would be 15lb>14lb>16lb.

Remember, two pins weigh over 7 lb. What weight are you currently using?

Most higher average bowlers use at least 14lb equipment, and these are the bowlers who also change their equipment more often and thus have balls for sale. Heavier balls deflect less, and thus carry better than light balls. Many performance balls also do not have dynamic weight blocks in balls lighter than 14lbs, although some lines do retain some sort of dynamic core down to 12 lb.
You should in general use the heaviest ball that you can comfortably swing. There is little difference these days in carry between 14 to 16lb gear, and the ones who generate high rotation and cover a lot of boards will sometimes carry better with 14lb than heavier balls, but I would estimate that the weight preference amongst higher average male bowlers would be 15lb>14lb>16lb.

Remember, two pins weigh over 7 lb. What weight are you currently using?

Well i don't i have my own ball, i just use the lane bowls .. usually use anything from 11lb to 14lb.. though i think i tend to feel more comfortable with the lower range of that scale, 11/12lb

Good ball fit is critical. A properly fitted 14 lb ball will feel much lighter than the equivalent weight house ball.

robbie has a lot of 9lb balls that he uses on thursdays im sure he will sell you onegood luck otty

Otty, Some of the house balls Floating around are Newer than most of Robbie's Gear. I would stick with the house ball...:) lol

Back
Top Bottom