Oil volume question.

Fitzy

Underpaid
Hey all,

I am trying to understand oil patterns and graphs and I have a few questions that I am hoping that someone can clear up for me.

Apart from asking what Ld, Sp and Cr mean, I'll only ask one other question now, as the answer of it may answer all my other questions.

O.k.

Looking at the Kegel Broadway Pattern and related graph, I notice that the reverse oil from 10.10 - 0feet there is no oil(TOil) placed down.

How then is there 'combined oil' shown on the graph from 0 - 10.10feet?

Thank you.

Rhyss.

Hey all,

I am trying to understand oil patterns and graphs and I have a few questions that I am hoping that someone can clear up for me.

Apart from asking what Ld, Sp and Cr mean, I'll only ask one other question now, as the answer of it may answer all my other questions.

Ld = loads, the number of times the tip traverses the lane applying oil for that run;
Sp = machine travel speed in inches per second;
Cr = the total number of boards that the oiling tip applies oil to as it crosses them for that run.

For instance, reverse run 4:
Start Stop Ld Sp Cr Start F. End F. FT... TOil
8L.... 8R... 3. 18. 75 25.40 ..17.80 -7.60 3750

The machine should begin run 4 at 25.4 feet from the foul line, travelling at 18feet per second (fps).

The oil tip starts at 2 board, travels across the lane and begins to apply oil to the lane on board 8 from the right gutter, stops applying at 8 from left gutter and travels on to board 38 (2L, 2 from left gutter). This is one pass of the oil tip, and the above counts as one load (Ld). There are three loads in this run. At the set speed, the end of the run is at 17.8' from the foul line, for a run distance of 7.6'.

Applying oil from 8-8, the tip applies oil to 25 boards (inclusive of 8-8). Three loads in the run gives 75 total boards crossed (Cr). At 50ul per board, this gives total oil applied during the run of 3750 ul, or 3.75 ml.

Note that the machine applies oil to a transfer brush, which then runs (slowly and evenly in theory) onto the buff roller, which applies it to the lane. The graph gives an idea of how the oil is applied to the lane, and it is not an exact representation. Basically, the oil applied to the 'lane' during the 14' to10' run will take some further time to make it to the lane surface, depending on machine speed it may take 5-8' to actually put it on the lane.

IIRC, Kegel recommend that all loads stop a minimum of 5' from the foul line, but the graphs always show the combined oil running right back to the line.

O.k.

Looking at the Kegel Broadway Pattern and related graph, I notice that the reverse oil from 10.10 - 0feet there is no oil(TOil) placed down.

How then is there 'combined oil' shown on the graph from 0 - 10.10feet?

Thank you.

Rhyss.

Hope that helped.

Thanks Rob. Much appreciated!

That did help.

I do have a couple more questions, related to a little program I'm creating.

Would you mind if I PM you about it?? I feel stupid enough as it is without going through it all over a public forum :( :surrender:

Cheers,

Rhyss.

Back
Top Bottom