L & L Castle Kingpins vs. Australia's best

In the hay day of junior bowling and we all wanted to be picked to go to the states Shirley Ellis started the milton 700 league on a sat afternoon we all converged over there from the 4 centres to compete it was not all about getting picked for the team there was a healthy dose of centre rivalry as well we bowled continually for 2years before the top boys and girls were chosen and at any one time we had 60 bowlers in the league it was heady stuff when you were 14 thinking about going overseas to represent your country

My name is Kathy Johns(nee Blair) & I was a junior bowler at Milton Bowl in the 70's. My brother Chris Blair along with my now husband Rob Johns were part of a team from Milton Bowl who travelled to San Francisco, Los Angeles & Hawaii in 1975. Shirley Ellis & Barbara Richmond took the team of Rob Johns, Chris Blair, Chris Young, Wayne Strelow, Gary & Kevin Smythe. L & L Castle Lanes reciprocated in Aug 1975. They sent out a team of six, Rich VanDielen, Dale Webb, Bill Ansen, Dennis Caulley, John Datone & Ronson Cheong. I bowled in the 700 Masters & was lucky to travel to America in 76, 78 & 81-again with Shirley Ellis & Shirley Smythe. We bowled at L & L Castle lanes, Canoga Park & Japan Bowl & others that I can't remember. We had wonderful memories with Pete Lusich, Edie, Dennis & Del-it was an experience I will treasure forever.

Steve Mackie & I organised the Castle Kingpins & Queens to visit Australia during our time with Pete & Edi at Castle Lanes San Francisco 1968. Good to hear from you Mary (corbo). Dockers

. I was at the Mentone event as a spectator [I would have been 15 or so I guess around 1968] and I believe Mick Neylan [who won the 1969 National All Star] was in the Mentone team against the King Pins - so was Nigel Gaudie [who bowled Mentone's first and Victoria's 3rd 300 game]..I think Peter Caulfield as well, sadly Peter left us a few years ago..and I think Paul Joungerblood also.

Steve

2nd at Mentone 4th in Victoria according to TBA website.

I was a 16 year old Junior in 1963 on the Wonder Bowl Jr. Team. 64 lane house in Los Angeles. L&L Juniors traveled to LA, bowled against us for two 3 game series one per day. They were quite good, but we were able to compete with them. Great memory

Hi
I bowled against them and took them out when they were in melbourne
Best bunch of guys who also took me out with them when I was in San Francisco , bowled pot games
against Larry and stayed at Ray Cahoons house will never forget them.
Mick Neylan.

Hi
I bowled against them and took them out when they were in melbourne
Best bunch of guys who also took me out with them when I was in San Francisco , bowled pot games
against Larry and stayed at Ray Cahoons house will never forget them.
Mick Neylan.
HI Mick, Steve Mackie & I were at Castle Lanes San Francisco bowling against the Juniors as guests of Pete Lusich in 1968. We were on our way to Long Island to bowl in the last World Cup. Dockers

Hi dockers
Pete lusich was a real gentleman offered me a job in castle lanes
when I was there.Also lovely to hear from one of the best lady bowlers of all time
up there with the best, goodonya dockers
Mick.

Hi all
I bowled at mentone bowl against all of the first group.The above names are correct, sad that
it is no longer enjoyed taking all the guys out around Melbourne and when I got to San Francisco
they met me at the airport with pete lusich and showed both myself and Trish Datsun around there

So, I just saw this post. I was one of the kingpins that went to Australia multiple times.
Its great hearing you all enjoyed us as much as we all enjoyed you on our trips to Australia. The hospitality and fun I had was amazing. My first trip, I was only 16 years old. Shirley Ellis was so wonderful to all of us. To this day, I talk to my friends about the trips and tell them of my fond memories.
I still bowl with many of the original King Pins.
I also still see many of the ladies that went to Australia (Castle Queens) also.
Pete Lusich was just as amazing as he seemed.I considered him my 2nd dad.
Thanks for the great memories.

Mike Caulley

St Leonards in the 60's I bowled against the King Pins I will never forget I bowled a Gutter ball first ball then Ave 203 in the 3 games i am crippled if anyone remembers me, I had to bowl a 99 game play off tournament betting George Skotorrities from Victoria for to last spot in the team Great days Miss you all I'm 70 years old now and heathy My good friend Steve Mackie has been in the stats for a long time now miss him. p.s. little 14 years old Johnny Reeser was a great chap

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom