L & L Castle Kingpins vs. Australia's best

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Who remembers the great teams out of San Francisco's L & L Castle Lanes during the 1960s and 1970s, that toured Australia competing against the best juniors of the day?

Were you one of those Australian bowlers who went up against the powerhouse Castle Kingpins or do you know the names of anyone who was involved in those friendship matches?

Wayne,

I believe there were separate teams playing against the Kingpins in different cities - perhaps [memory could be wrong] Hickock sponsored one of these teams and maybe Steve Mackie, Bob Cook John Everson and others might have been in that [Hickock]side. I was at the Mentone event as a spectator [I would have been 15 or so I guess around 1968] and I believe Mick Neylan [who won the 1969 National All Star] was in the Mentone team against the King Pins - so was Nigel Gaudie [who bowled Mentone's first and Victoria's 3rd 300 game]..I think Peter Caulfield as well, sadly Peter left us a few years ago..and I think Paul Joungerblood also. But I wouldn't bet money on any of it sadly as it is all far too fuzzy. But maybe it might help a few whose grey matter is not so out of shape as my own.

Great question though Wayne - and the other team was of course the Castle Queens - now who was in Aussie teams up against those ladies I wonder??

Steve

L &L kingpins were here in early 70,s at ROCKDALE against NSW shield when Gary Kee, Fred Allsop AND co used to bowl GREAT EXPERIENCE BILL HANSON i think was one of them had bowled about 20 300s back home , and bowled the biggest shot i had ever seen i think the captain was RICH VAN DEILEN AWSOME

I remember well the Castle Kingpins at the old St.Leonards bowl sometime back in the sixties.

The one member of the team that has stuck in my mind all these years was Larry Laub. Larry went on to be one of the PBA's leading players and the last I time I saw him was in a PBA Senior event in Reno a few years back.

One thing that impressed me about the US team was they way they all 'did laps' around the Bowl's carpark for about a half hour or so as part of their warmup routine...it looked brutal!

yes I have been a priviledged junior bowler to not only have competed against the king and queens of L and L Castle Lanes at Clayfield in the late 60's but also bowled in a league at Milton in 70 and 71 to win a spot with another 12 juniors to represent Australia. this league was the inspiration of Shirley Ellis and Shirley Smythe to pick the top Queensland juniors of the time to represent the country at exhibition matches in San Francisco and LA against the L and L Castle King and Queen Juniors. A wonderful experience for 16 and 17 year olds Gary Kee was also taken on board on our stop over in Sydney before heading for San Francisco. A trip never to be forgotten and many friendships made, our trip was all the more wonderful due to our great host of the time Pete Lusich and Edith Del we were given an opportunity few juniors now have experienced being coached by some of the top American legends of our time. the hospitality of Pete and Co were legendary and an experience in my 40 plus year of bowling that I will always cherish.

In 1972 a team of Juniors from the Olympic Bowl in Canberra travelled to San Francisco and LA (?) to compete against the L & L Castle King and Queenpins. There were 6 boys and 6 girls under the coaching/management of Pat Somerville and the Manager of the bowl at the time Kevin Chapman. Unfortunately I was not one of them. However, the King and Queen Pins returned the visit a couple of years later with Edi and Pete. We competed against them in Canberra and also had a great many social occasions with them. It was a great experience and they were a fanstatic bunch.

Mike S

Hey mike how great would it be to see such a spectical today i think our youth could learn so much . Imagine under 21s from the states and maybe the same from south east asia competing in a series of matches here !!!!!!

They were not all Angles.12in a FC Holden a police raid and 6 hours of my time and others to find them all again..They had a FANTASTIC time..so did we..LMAO.
They could all sing,we had a great night.

Didnt the USA Junior's bring out a team to compete against us as Pres shield about 12-14 years ago, I remember a young bloke [justin/jeremy?] Sonnenfeld bowling a couple of 300's.

Thanks Belinda this is going to show my age! I was involved with the first tour of Australia by the King & Queen Pins. The person most responsible for it to happen was Shirley Ellis a great Australain Lady Bowler from Queensland. We hosted the L&L Castle Lanes group at Milton Bowl from where they continued their tour around the southern states. Their Mentor was Pete Lusich who owned the L&L Castel Lanes in San Francisco, only a month ago I tried to visit the Lanes but I understand they are no longer? I Also tried to make contact with Edi Del Fiorentino who was the mentor for the Queen Pins, Edie was working at Japan Bowl in San Francisco for many years after the death of Pete but it also has closed down. These people can not be reproduced!!! they were one of a kind and unfortunately the passion doesn't seem to be the same as those days for some.

As Mike said I did take a group of Australians from Canberra on a Friendship tour to LA in 1971, this was the second Austalian tour the first being from Milton in Brisbane where I had migrated from to Canberra .The team I will try to remember,Tony Seymour (Mike's Elder brother), Tony Redman,Alan Jarman (the first Junior to bowl a 300) Mark Ryan, Leonie Walker, Judith Manning, Patricia Wicks, Susanne Lloyd, Ledica Monk, Paula McShane, Patrice Somerville (Clarke) The Mascot. I apologise to those Boy's who have slipped my mind. When I dig out the photos I will let you know!
A further International Touring group instigated by myself was led by Alice Hegrat from San Deigo CA and that too has lost momentum as the Lady is a little less active ( now 81) and I had the privilage of spending time with her and husband Don last month. Alise's enthusiasm has been dampened by the closure of the Mirimar Naval Base centre (Jet Lanes) has been demolished to make way for a large shopping complex, the team I took there in 1984 took out many medals from the CA State Championships. Many younger bowlers will remember those bowlers as they also took part in our Australian Junior Championships and Invitational President Shield.
THOSE WERE THE DAYS! as someone wrote BRING THEM ON AGAIN. I still have the passion, that's why I am still involved. LOVE IT;)

I recall reading about groups from Darwin in the 80's and Perth in the early 90's doing US tours(and the USA group coming to Perth in return) Any people involved in those tours ever post on here?

That is right Sweep but it is spelt Somerville. The group in the 80's was from San Deigo led by Alice Hegrat. One of the special characters in that group was Maxwell Smart. An Australian group went over there in 1984. We had representatives from each state, including both Territories.
My log on is Nanna P
Still trying to dig out the photos from 1968 of the King & Queenpins, along with the touring group of 1981.
The team in 1984 who went to USA was accompanied by Jan Bowen (Newcastle) and myself and Narelle Millard. Some of those members from memory: Mark Perry, Heather Nathenial, Darryl Povey, David Lindley, Leigh Bowen, Patrice Somerville, Brent Malcolm, Julianne (NT), Sue-Ellen Day,Jason Commane, Leanne Derrick. WELL who can help me out?

They also sent a heap of them out to the jnr nationals at moonah bowl in 82 ,they were older than us as they were the under 21 team. Played a guy called Don Bentz in the masters final there, he threw a lot of ball for those days.

Steve (wimpy)

Here's a list of some Castle Kingpin names...I'm pretty sure most of these guys came to Australia during one or more of the trips.

Mike Caulley
Ray Cahoon
Larry Wallace
Greg Pross
Don Reeser
John Reeser
Larry Johnson
Barry Brown
John Avakian
Marv Vigo
Rich Van Deelen
Ray Domergue
Dennis Caulley

found promo brochures from L & L King Pins and Queen trip to Milton and Clayfield in the late '60 team was Mike Caulley 18 avg 195, Barry Brown 18 avg 202, Dennis Ganduglia 19 avg 185, Larry Johnson 18 avg 199, Dave Olivo 18 avg 195, John Reeser 14 avg 196, Ed Russell 19 avg 193, Debbie Del Fiorentino 18 avg 174, Vesma Grinfelds 19 avg 195, Irene Johansen 19 avg 169, Kris McKay 16 avg 174, Donna Morales 18 avg 178, Wendy Rogers 18 avg 175, Karen Safley 17 avg 183 and Bew Watson 16 avg 189. The brochures give all the stats on each bowler and information about the formation of the King and Queens, forgot I even had this information, sat down and read the brochures from cover to cover brought back great memories, of my association with these great competitors.

Back
Top Bottom