How do you train for bowling?

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Just got back from a couple of days at the Australian Open Tennis and I have to say....these are REAL athletes! Their training sessions are unreal. Running and stopping in short bursts back and forth across the court, jumping rope, using lead weighted rackets to strengthen their forearms. Hitting hundreds of balls in the heat of the day..ALL THIS AND THEN THEY PLAY A MATCH LATER ON IN THE SAME DAY.

With all this fresh in my mind..I'm vowing to get back into shape for bowling by using some of these very same training methods.

How do you train for bowling? Post here the details of your training regime.

work out keep fit dont get FAT. and just bowl-do the same thing over and over and over again hit spares dont hook at spares-aim. just hit scores some times i train 4 scores and other times just 4 aiming or just fixing swing,steps,release,finishing stance,etc........ thats about it i think i bowl alright and getting better all the time.

but i duno if keeping fit in tenpin really helps-there are some big fellas out there that can bowl really well so meh what ever works i guess.

Well Wayne, I've seen video's of you bowling and I must say as well as being the same age we are both Balding and Overweight. As I have hardly Bowled in the last couple of years, my main warm-up is holding my Breath to Tie up my Shoelaces, I may have to seriously think about Buying a pair of New Slip-ons, do Dexter make Slip-ons?

Unfortunately my main problem for not Bowling is, every Centre in Newcastle, now has Synthetic Approaches, I cannot Slide with confidence, even with adjustable soles for my Dexters. I will try next time with a Sock over my slide foot.

willey

a training session for us goes like this - stretching to loosen up, skill drills to keep technique in shape, then bowl concentrating on technique, speed on the approach, release and targeting. we'll also work on shooting the 5 different strke lines, regardless of where the ball finishes at the pins in our home centre, as changing lines means getting out of your "comfort zone" so must be mentally ready to do that and we work on sparing.
as a family we make a competition out of it which makes the session more fun, especially for my kids.
Shoey

Wayne as I assume you mean physical training this is what I do to help me try to maintain and improve my current skill level in the game.

I have started to go for a walk at a reasonable pace for about 1.25 to 1.5 hours in the evening. Currently this equates to about just over 9kms a night.
It's working: as I managed to top qualify in the recent sports series event with only 3 games two days before and no bowling for the previous month.

Some bowlers under estimate the importance of the legs in their whole game. I don't take this part of the game for granted. The legs are even more important to the game of middle aged bowlers (myself included).

Currently I don't do any specific exercises for my upper body but are planning to start some soon. Pushups and situps are good startup points. Dumbells and / or barbells starting with weights you find comfortable are also good starting alternatives.

For those worried about the impact of walking initially on their joints due to the fact they may be retaining more weight than they would currently like, swimming or exercise in water is a good alternative starting point. Just attempt to run or jog through the pool for awhile or simply swim laps across ways as a starting point.

Before starting any exercise program I do recommend having a physical from your GP.

Although I have not engaged in regular bowling practice in recent years I do intend to start regular stints of 6 to 10 games in order be better prepared for tournament play. I tend to concentrate on hitting targets and identifying exactly what I have to do (stance & target) to convert specific spare leaves.

I hope this helps.

Does golf qualify for bowling training?

Outside of actual lane time, the only thing I do is a couple of k on the cycle to help with the knee. Any spare time these days is used sleeping and/or playing golf, depending on the time of day that is available :D

Mostly drills that cover all aspects of bowling, such as timing, balance, accuracy, then finish it off with a light game that's more fun then anything else.

Well they way i train for bowling is i have a jumping rope and jump for about 30mins to hour at different speeds and sinde i play hockey i keep fit by training 2 times a night and i'm helping out with juniors i also go running with them to help them out and stay fit. We started pre-season on tuesday and tonight will be fun i can say it will be also interesting aswell. during summer when not playing hockey i go running twice a week. I also do weights at home just to keep my arms and that in condition. thats abour all i think.

My Training Regime

5am get out of bed
10 minutes stretches
200 situps
100 push ups
40 - 60 minutes of interval running

7.30 pm
10 minutes of stretches
45 minutes of free weights
200 situps
100 push ups

Dont Forget the Diet as well.

My Big tip: low fat, plenty of protein & vegies, and NO CARBS after 3pm.

This helped me get down from 105kg down to 79.0kg

:hockey:

Well on the way home from work pickup a 6 pack of J.B ....once I get home bend the elbow with at least 2 cans before I bowl thats for league...
For touneys ..the night before get smashed on J.B of course in the morning lots of water.... I dont know why but I am always thirsty just be a touney.
:D:D:D

Well I find playing cricket really helps with fitness and staying focus. It's hard to juggle them on Saturdays when bowling tournaments are but.

Myself and another person clean this Art Deco monster (centre of picture) in the city 5 nights a week.
hcc2xe4.jpg

Also did two other buildings on the weekends up until I handed my notice in last weekend.
Probably walk on average 10 or more kms a night, and bowl 10-15 games on a Sunday night on glow zone crap conditions so as to not get comfortable on soft conditions.
Certainly keeps me pretty fit and active for my bowling and helps with stamina as lack of fitness and being tired was the biggest downfall for me in tournaments over the last ten years.

Any kind of anerobic physical activity will help build your endurance.
Working on the skills of the sport will always help. DicRickter Drills etc.
And games to put those drills into practice.
Video taping yourself is really good. That way you can see whats going on. I believe it to be one of the best coaching methods.
But... For all those people who said they stretch before doing anything. It is a big No No.
Stretching cold muscles will only cause damage. A lite jog first to warm them up, then stretch.

Kristy

Back
Top Bottom