Handicaps

terminal2k

so I'm really new at this whole bowling thing, played my first game in a league last night (monday night coke league at dee why if anyone cares), and I was wondering how you work out what handicap someone will receive.

so I'm really new at this whole bowling thing, played my first game in a league last night (monday night coke league at dee why if anyone cares), and I was wondering how you work out what handicap someone will receive.
theres several handicap systems

most common ones being 80% of 200 of 90% of 220

What that means is 80% of the difference of ure average and 200

so if u averaged 100 after your first night using 80% of 200 ure handicap would be 80.

Hope that helps, if you ever want inspiration on your way to the bowl just look at the hallowed turf at brookvale while you drive thru pittwater rd im sure it would add atleast 10 - 20 pins a game to your score :D

if you ever want inspiration on your way to the bowl just look at the hallowed turf at brookvale while you drive thru pittwater rd im sure it would add atleast 10 - 20 pins a game to your score :D
Umm next time you go to a Nationals Cam go via Lang Park and not Brookvale.

yeah i agree with ninja here, except dont just go past, sit and meditate on the field!! that will do it for ya LOL.

well i bowled a 122 avg so i guess that would most likely be a 62 handicap
That is correct for 80% of 200.

It totally depends on what handicap system the league uses. Generally it depends on what averages the league has. From my experience most leagues would use 70% or 80% or 90% of 200 unless they had bowlers that averaged above 200. If that was the case then they would move to 70% or 80% or 90% of 210 (or 220) depending on what the high average is. Your league secretary will be able to tell you what numbers are used.

Another point that might be helpful is your average and handicap are never rounded up - they are always rounded down. For example even if your average is 122.99 it will still be expressed as 122. Similarly with handicap calculation, if it works out at 62.4 then your handicap is 62, and if it is 62.8 it will still be 62.

Your average is then recalculated each week according to the number of games you have bowled. This means that at the begining of a season you will possibily see more fluctuations in your average (and hence your handicap) than you do later in the season. As a League Secretary this is one of the hardest concepts for some bowlers to grasp.

If you have a really good night early in the season you will see a spike in the numbers and it always seems that it takes longer to go down than it does to get higher - perception is a wonderful thing.

Some centres have preprinted cars that track the date, games, series and cumulative pin fall allowing you to keep a track of your own average, and watch it improve. Your League Secretary should provide you with the formula that the league has determined it will use - this would normally be set at the League formation meeting and recorded in the constitution.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy tracking your improvement.

Cheers
Janey

Back
Top Bottom