Handicap for Walter De Veer

Re: WDV

Morwell Tenpins said:
Yes we know we are never going to please everyone, but we should all remember we bowl or are involved in bowling :oops: :oops: because we love the game :D and the people :D we mix :D with. If not then please explain why your still here. :idea: :idea: :idea:

AMEN TO THAT!!

:lol:

What about making the handicap base the same as the average cut, ie 100% of 170, etc, instead of 100% of 200 . This could stop the higher bowlers from sandbagging, as they would have little or no handicap. It could encourage lower average bowlers to enter the De Veer roll offs as they may have a handicap advantage.
Maybe an idea to consider

Allen J

Well its in, its done, the forms are out and the rumours are beguining, 'who's rolling off? whats their average?' If this was a scratch tournement the quesion of sandbagging would not be so important, yes you will get people dropping to stay in the cut, but on any given day you still start even, noone is 4 frames ahead of you. Already I am hearing murmers of a bowler who's current average is approx 40 pins lower than what they averaged in roll off's last year - how can anyone compete with that?
But like they say, whats done is done - so who's rolling off this year? and who do you think will make the team? :lol: :cry:

Walter De Veer

Victoria has not rolled off as yet, but the pleasing thing that I am hearing :p :p "I am going to have a go" :D :D That's what we should all be hearing from everyone around the country.Forget about about what might happen just get in there and have a go.
This is the only sport where you do not have to be a champion to make your state team. All you have to do is bowl the best of your ability and you have the chance to be a proud member of your state or Territory. :) :) :) And finally remember this when you are competing against each other have fun and enjoy each others company and rivally which is what makes Walter De Veer so fantastic for all you bowlers and officials. :roll: :roll: :roll: So when all you guys & gals get to Forest Hills to bowl in the WDV remember all those bowlers who would love to be there but could not make it this year..........because next year they will be trying even harder. Good luck to all who are trialling in the months ahead.

I am so pleased to see that common sense has prevailed and that WDV will remain a handicap tournament.
I agree whole heartedly with Morwell's post as I wrote a similar email to TBA when the original decision to move to a scratch tournament was taken....... it would have been tragic for the low average bowler and the decision would have disenfranchised a large proportion of bowlers, many who would never had the chance to gain selection in a State team.
Any handicap system will attract the sad story of bowling, the "sandbagger", but despite that it is more important to cater for those bowlers who will at least be given a chance to roll-off to gain selection and experience the excitiement and honour of representing their state.
Hopefully the fine tuning to averages will make it fairer to all.
Good luck to all trying out for WDV.

Back
Top Bottom