Great Drill Pattern Resource

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
As you all know, I am a self confessed bowling ball nerd. ;)

Whether you're a nerd like me (self confessed or still in the closet) or just interested in what all this pin/cg/PAP business is about, here is a terrific resource on patterns and surface finishes.

http://www.jeffcarterbowling.com/Arsenal2.html

It's on the website for Jeff Carter, Storm PBA staffer and previously PBA Midwest Region Player of the Year, world record league average holder (261.74) and he's just had two 3rd places in two weeks in the US Open and the Denny's PBA Pepsi Championship. So you get the idea. He knows the odd thing or two about bowling.

Check out some of the other stuff on his site, like his PBA Tour diary. Quite interesting.

Enjoy,
Jason

Can't seem to get beyond the opening page. Maybe his provider is having problems?
Does the site usually have drill specs and an insight into the predicted variations in roll etc from each drilling?
That would be very useful.

Jeez thats a lot of balls...I know they have virtually limiless equipment at their disposal but damn...surely some of those balls do the same thing as others. Especially with that almost across the board 5"-5-1/2" pin he loves.

Jeez thats a lot of balls...I know they have virtually limiless equipment at their disposal but damn...surely some of those balls do the same thing as others. Especially with that almost across the board 5"-5-1/2" pin he loves.
Subtle differences make big changes to pinfall. The long pin-PAP distances elongate the breakpoint. Very useful for playing PBA patterns, where controlling the change in direction is a major key.

As for all those balls, he just sold a lot more for a charity he supports recently.

Hey Sumo, (that was a great ball btw!) If you can't get there, try going in through the parent URL www.jeffcarterbowling.com

Cheers,
Jason

Hey Jason
Tried going thru the parent URL. I get to the arsenal and when I hover over each ball the message in the bottom left says javascript:;
If I open the link nothing changes except the message says done. If I open the link in a new window, I get the "can't find server" message. Tried opening with shift and control, but no luck.
I guess that there is a spec sheet for each ball?
Also Jason, don't understand your bracketed message "(that was a great ball btw!)"????
Sorry if I'm just being dumb here. Early Alzheimer's??
Sumo

And my mates ask why i have four balls? crazy

sumo... when you click on one of the balls it shouldnt open the details in a new page. You have to scroll up and next to the big picture of him the details should appear there. And there use to be a ball called "sumo" forget who it was by i THINK it was brunswick release? im sure someone will correct me

http://bowlingballreviews.com/ball.asp?ballid=204

:D

Jeff is a Great guy. He is always happy for people to shoot him emails or pms on BR, and really knows his stuff.

He also is living proof on how good the PBA guys actually are, considering even after he averaged 262 last season in league, it took him quite a few years on the tour to make his first show!

Very good point Tonx. He made the US Open show averaging around the 220 mark. 40 pins a game less than league. That particular event is dead hard by PBA standards too.
since you'd be disappointed if no-one did correct you, it was an AMF release :)
Ah God I feel old now... I bowled 300 and 298 with one of those! (I can still hear Eric Jang saying "OH S$|T" as the last ball left my hand...)

Thanks Topher, Thanks Jason,
Very nice resource
Sumo
PS Jason,
The Sumo must have been released during my enforced lay off (10 years) with a stuffed elbow. My nickname is more a visual thing, although we are soon to start work on making Sumo more like "Skinny Sumo".
32 kg to go

Back
Top Bottom