First Seniors Done and Dusted

John_Velo

Hi Guys,

I haven’t writen a post on here for a while. So I thought time to type.

Recently I bowled in my first seniors event, I left the event feeling very diflated at missing my goal of a top three. Finished 20 odd pins off that goal. Sure we had issues for our Sunday squad with the oiling being very different to the squad before us. But still, every one in my squad had it tough.

190 odd over for Saturday and about 90 over for Sunday. Do I blame the lanes for missing my goals? No, not now that I have had the time to sit back and really look at my game, with an honest eye.

Saturday I missed three spares that were very easy. In seniors most spares are missed in the middle of a string of strikes, easily accounting for 40 pins with count. I finish Saturday 45 ish off the lead.

Sunday, the problem wasn’t getting to the pocket, the problem was getting the pins to fall. The speed needed to be perfect. To fast and the ball deflected on the heavy carry down. The five pin was hard to budge.

To slow and the pins would slide around and not fall. Biggest slide I saw was the five pin being picked up on the seven pon spot. I started slow and soon found myself trying to over power the condition with a very high speed shot. I lost a lot of count, especially when count was needed by chucking the ball instead of bowling it. This related in poor carry.

Not an issue with carry, but an issue with the operator.

Sunday I missed about six or so spares, two easy, the rest were get able splits.

What would I change?

For one, I would not fall into the trap of trying to over power the lanes through speed again and will always keep in mind that a free swing and soft hands will get those pins to fall, also making it much easier to repeat my shot.

Looking forward to my next event now, the seniors are a lot fun. The bowlers are a great bunch.

Thanks to the guys at Campbelltown City Bowl,always a pleasure to bowl in the house of Web.

Back
Top Bottom