FIQ

A

all_star_mel

Over the last 2 years or so, I have changed associations and used to bowl for TQI. For anyone who does not know what TQI stands for it is Tenpin Queensland Incorporated. I am 16 yrs old and am keen to make FIQ next yr. I was just wondering what events u have to bowl in and also how u become part of the NTS.
Thanks
Mel
icon_biggrin.gif

Melanie, My understanding of the answers to the questions you are asking are set out below. However, it is always a good idea to check anything you are told by anyone with the ultimate source, which, in this case, is Tenpin Bowling Australia Limited (TBAL).

Entry into the TBAL Youth National Training Squad is gained by way of a Nomination/Selection process and the Teams for FIQ Events are picked from the members of this Squad. This is an elite group (usually numbering around 20 girls) and it helps to gain entry if you have bowled President's Shield. It is an even bigger plus if you have made a President's Shield *All Stars* Team or won a National Junior Open Masters. However,the Selectors look at many other factors too; as spelt out in the Nomination Form you have to complete and submit.

As preparation for reaching the level of acheivement the Selectors are seeking, you should gain good results in your Area, State and National Junior Championships. In addition to participating in Open Tournaments like the one you bowled in last weekend, you should try and bowl as many of the major Junior/Youth Events as possible. Good examples are the 2001 Sharp/Coke Junior Champion of Champions here in Brisbane (Greenslopes in, I think, October), the 2001 Sydney Junior Cup (talk to Dr or Mrs Kee or Greg Sawyer, aka Cudac, about that one - it is held over the NSW long weekend at the start of October), the 2002 Australian International Youth Championships (same contacts - held at the start of January) and the South Australian Under 23 (August 18/19, 2001 - details are in a separate post in the SA Section of this Forum). Bowling the Wide Bay Grand Prix Circuit (next one , Hervey Bay in August) and the local AMF Tournaments (e.g. Brisbane Cup, July 28/29) will also add to your pool of experience.

As you can see, it requires a lot of time, effort and, unfortunately, expense (both in terms of bowling fees and travel, not to mention equipment) to get to your goal. Some of the cost can be off-set by prize money, but it 's a big help if you can get yourself a sponsor or a good fund raising team behind you.

Despite the best efforts of TBAL, picking up information about tournaments and other aspects of bowling, remains one of the toughest things for many bowlers. So, in addition to keeping a "close eye" on this excellent web-site and asking others, as you are doing, you should be sure to be on the mailing list for TBAL's TENPIN TOPICS and to register on TBAL's temporary website.

I hope this is of some help and I look forward to reading your name in future NTS and FIQ Squads.

Ok....thanks for that! Do u have any entry forms for anything at the moment??

Melanie,

I've got entry forms for the South Australian Under 23 at Elizabeth, the Queensland Open at Hervey Bay (Wide Bay Grand Prix Circuit) and the Brisbane Cup at Mt Gravatt. Let me know if you want the forms for any of these events and I'll mail them to you care of your home bowling centre.

I have yet to see the forms for the Sydney Junior Cup, the Australian Youth Open (a 21 and under Tournament being held at Penrith on the same weekend as the SA Under 23) and the Sharp Plywood/Coca-Cola Junior Champion of Champions.

Hedley,
Where are the Australian International Youth Championships going to be held at do u know?? Where were they held this year??

Melanie,

The AIYC is held in Sydney. This year it was held at Bankstown (January 3/7, I think) and in previous years it was help at the Manhattan Superbowl at Mascot. I'm not sure if Doc Kee and his team have made a decision yet about the 2002 event, they are probably too busy organising the Sydney Junior Cup.
icon_wink.gif

Re: Entry Forms Sydney Cup (Junior)
Hedley/Mel
I should have entry forms with me at the
Junior Nationals in July.
Greg
NSW Central

Greg,

That will be really good; you'll be able to get the Sydney Junior Cup forms direct to a wide range of potential bowlers and also give them plenty of time (11 weeks) to get organised for the trip to Sydney. I'm assuming the dates are September 29 to October 1, inclusive.

I'll look forward to seeing all you Central folk at Mt Gravatt on at least one day of President's Shield (GO SQ!!) and for the two Masters.

Thanks cuda/c. Does anyone know if The Australian Youth Open which is at Penrith this year in August is a National Ranked Tournament??
icon_rolleyes.gif

The Australian Youth (21 and under) Open at Penrith (August 18/19) is not part of the TBAL National Ranking Program.

Hey Mel,

the SA Under 23 Classic on the same weekend as the (AYO) would be better for you as it's a TBA Raked Tourney whereas the Australian Youth Open isn't! There are gonna be entry forms up at nats about SA under 23 Classic so i'll make sure you get one! as it will be betta for you if you wanna make FIQ! Also there is more info on the Under 23's int he junior forum okies

talk to ya soon
Lil Leisa

Thanks for the info Leisa. Will have to see if I can get to SA. I dun know many people in TBA and I dun know anyone from SA. Anyway can u please email me an entry form as I will not be at Nats. Thanks.
icon_biggrin.gif

Ok thanks for that. Does anyone have any entry forms for any tournaments that are coming up in the next couple of weeks??
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif

Back
Top Bottom