Changes in this great sport!

Jasonguru

gettin better!!!!!
Firstly, hello to all out there in the bowling community.:D
This post is all about getting a few questions answered. By proprietors, bowlers and all concerned with the running of this sport.
I first took up bowling about 20 years ago as a junior at my local centre and was hooked (pardon the pun!) from day 1. I used to bowl in a lot of tournaments everywhere and really improved my bowling through various centre champs and events, and bowling in those days was awesome. Don't get me wrong it still is im my opinion, 1 of these best participation sports going round today.
But, having given the game away about 9 years ago and returned to the sport about 18 months ago, i have seen the sport in general change dramatically and not the majority of being for the better.
The equipment and conditions are far better than back in those urethane days and in my opinion makes it fairer in terms of enjoyment and self-satisfaction which keeps people interested, of which i am testament to that, but what has happened at the higher end of our sport????
The lack of tournaments and opportunities out there to further improve one's self by bowling on varying decks and enhancing ability is detriment to the game as a whole, because if we don't have enough competition at the highest level, how does the sport expect to enhance it's profile in general through various streams and attract more bowlers to the game?
I am very disappointed to see that after all these years out of this sport that the amount of tournament play has seriously dwindled, yet it should have gone the other way and grown dramatically. Why is this the case?
From my viewpoint, it is a case that the governing body has not done enough to promote the sport in all aspects, there is never or very rarely at best any media coverage, be it print or TV, the centre owners and managers are also to blame for a number of reasons.
I think it is from not being pro-active and just focusing on the basic elements of the business ie: social play, kids parties etc. As a former business owner, you need to look at the big picture and cater for all, yet find a way to make it profitable to all, not just in monetary terms. The profit isn't just money but the greater potential benefits of bringing more people through your doors from all profit channels.
You may ask how this can be achieved? It can be easily achieved by firstly having people in and around the community marketing your centre and the brand to attract sponsors and money into the sport. Owners, do the hard yards for christ sake. By doing a bit of hard work and rolling up the sleeves you will make more tournaments viable for your centres and the spin off being by attracting a greater profile to the game, hence boosting the sport in general.
I sincerely hope that the goes some way to creating more tournaments out there and from my position of being in sales and marketing for many years, I am open to offering more detailed help as to how this can be done.
Thanks.
Jason Scott

I am very suprised that not 1 response has been posted. It seems that there are so many bowlers out there who complain about lack of tournament play, yet, an opportunity to voice an opinion or concern regarding this issue has not even happened.

Here's your chance people to have your say about it. Don't just let it go, wether you agree or disagree, take the chance.

Jason, although I'm not all that much into talking on internet forums, I'll have a go at replying to this thread because I'm in a slightly similar situation to you and can relate to some of the things you say.
I used to bowl in top level tournaments in Victoria and occasionally interstate, unfortunately I had to scale things down because of a health problem. This problem is slowly but surely getting more under control and I am ever so gradually trying to get back into bowling.
I can see what you mean about there being far less top level tournaments to bowl in.
I think that there are factors outside bowling which have been affecting the game at competative level, things like pokies, internet and video games.
With video games, it would only take you a few weeks to become an expert at a particular game, then thanks to the internet you will be able to play from opponents all over the world, from the comfort of your own home and at very little cost. Even health experts are getting concerned about this because it is creating problems such as childhood obesity.
In regards to factors within bowling, I once remember an article in a bowling magazine years ago about the price of the major bowling tournaments. It doesn't create a problem with bowlers who stand a reasable chance of winning cash, but it was causing concern with up and coming bowlers or bowlers on the brink of becoming very competetive. Although it was good for them to be participating in a big tournament, it was frustating to see the large entry fees that they paid, leave the tournament in the pockets of the same people time and time again. You could probably start a completely new discussion on how to solve this catch 22 situation.
I can also see many positives that have changed in the game, at the bottom end you have bumper bowling where a kid who is just big enough to hold a bowling ball can get a game over 100. Even things like this very website are helping the game.
Hope I have given you some ideas Jason and maybe ideas for other people to work on.

Back
Top Bottom