Jase

Admin
Staff member
Hi Australia's very own Alan Skupin

Hi Jase

I think this is a great idea and feel extremely happy to help with any info
fortunately for you I don’t currently have a photo,

TB
So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

AS I played most sports as a youngster, with only cricket and bowling that stuck. I was playing Adult A Grade cricket by the time I was 16, at the same time playing state level bowling. by the time I left school and started work in the 10Pin industry working nights, weekends ended my cricketing career. I place both at the top

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

AS I was taken bowling for my 11th b/day cant recall the 2 games I played then, however joined junior league the following week at Cannington, as a sub, my first game in league was 159, 147 & 128
they signed me into a team the following week.

TB
How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

AS The first time I felt special was when I was invited to the **** RITGER Camp in 1987

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were ?

AS I would say a combination of both, just always lacked the "killer" desire that others of my time had, Bottomley, Hinton, Haynes

TB
Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

AS My first title was the Junior State Final SPC 1987
Up until then I had 8 2nd's & 7 3rd's in various state events

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

AS Oh for sure, but not ever having won that many, it’s a buzz, always making the finals for me. To make the final day of an event is an achievement in itself and sometimes not given the respect it deserves

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

AS I've never considered myself as one of the TOP, but what I try now more than ever to show people that the sport we play must be enjoyed at all times

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

AS My MENTOR, Gary Gilmour, asks me this question regularly, and I suppose I do already. I get allot of satisfaction out of helping people in our sport.
After co-writing a manual on how to teach people to teach VISION IMPAIRED BOWLERS back in 2000, then presenting it at the Inaugural Vision Impaired Coaching Conference in Singapore, this really reinforced the idea that I can help others to understand the game better
Traveling to New Zealand last year, with Ken Thompson, to conduct an Advanced bowlers clinic again reinforced there are so many out there "thirsty" for knowledge
As we all know - KNOWLEDGE IS THE KEY

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

AS To me Teams bowling is still the best, having grown thru the sport in my time, team bowling was instilled to be the pinnacle, All-stars-Presidents Shield-RACHUIG-FIQ
A good friend of mine and I once said that RACHUIG to us was the HOLY GRAIL, SO to answer I’d give it all up to win a RACHUIG, but would have to be with the team I choose, it make all the difference who you play with

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

AS When I was 18 I had a real desire to travel over there but never went, I still one day would love to just participate in 1 event, that would be a fitting time to finish

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

AS
Wow even if I was shrunk would need to be an "imate", lol.
Don’t think my technical game is something to look at, so final answers NO. lol

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with?

AS Tough choice, but I’d have to say MARK BAKER & CAROL GIANOTTI, can it be triples please

TB Have you ever thought of a bit of modeling?

AS Modeling now you're really having a laugh, well I’ve got nice calves, maybe men’s socks, but then again wouldn’t want to get to close to my feet....

TB
Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

AS Always wanted to be a School Teacher, special schools preferably, those kids just light up my life

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?
AS Love being with my girl anything together is just the bees knees and of course FUBAR - a close group of friends, that are family, we get together regularly to supposedly play cards, normally thou we just sit around telling stories and having a damn good laugh

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

AS Its one of very few sports that can be played all year round.
Its one of few sports that being indoor the variables are astronomical, from ball changes to lane surfaces to actual environmental issues, A/c etc
apart from traveling throughout Australia, Internationally is also available
No real chance of physical injury
the entire family can participate on even standings with the handicapping system, not many sports can boast that

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?
AS I think it has been thoroughly worth it

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date.
AS My first 300 - winning 10k at 20yrs
Aussie rep Yth FIQ
Perth Cup
Winning Bahrain National Day open
all fantastic

my highlight thus far
Co-Writing the VISION IMPAIRED MANUAL
Showing the world our theory on how to coach Vision Impaired bowlers, and the International body accepting and endorsing the manual

TB
Knickers’, G-string or Flap in the breeze.
AS knickers, always for comfort

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

AS My Father has been there throughout my entire career
Only ever wanted 2 things from me
1- enjoy the game
2- NEVER SAY DIE - If its mathematically possible there's always a chance

Thanks for talking to us, next time we do this it will be in the USA in your Hotel room traveling across America on the pro tour we hope. Watch out for Totalbowlings’ next interview

AS No seriously thank you, I trust I haven’t rambled too much, and got some answers that may help
I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank the website for maintaining a great site that all Australian Bowlers should be proud off

Yours in Bowling

Alan Skupin

Back
Top Bottom